PDA

View Full Version : Vivitar 28mm f2.0 OM fit - Worth buying?

DJMC
22nd April 2011, 06:45 PM
:confused:

I have my eye on a Zuiko 50mm f1.4 to replace the f1.8 I'm now hanging on to from my OM-2n in order to try it out on my 'new' E-510 when I have an adapter.

But I also came across this Vivitar lens........

What will it do for me the 14-42 E mount lens can't do (apart from wider aperture!)?; is it any good and worth buying?; and if so what should I offer the seller?

Thanks for any help!

:)

Homer Simpson
22nd April 2011, 07:02 PM
Well for a start on your new 510 its not going to be wide angle cos it will give about the same as the 50mm used to do on your OM2n

So the 14 end of you kit lens equates to 28mm

DJMC
22nd April 2011, 07:47 PM
Well for a start on your new 510 its not going to be wide angle cos it will give about the same as the 50mm used to do on your OM2n

So the 14 end of you kit lens equates to 28mm

Yes, aware of that, that's why I was interested in it as a 56mm lens on the 510 but with a wider aperture.

snaarman
22nd April 2011, 08:54 PM
Before you buy it, check carefully that the aperture works correctly. Vivitar used various manufarcturers, and the 22 in the serial number shows it was made by Kiron, if I recall correctly. Very good and sharp optics, but they have a bad reputation for getting oil in the iris blades. This goes sticky and it all seizes up.

I had one of these, it took me ages to strip the lens and clean up the blades :(

Hope this helps

Pete

Edit.. Vivitar also sold a version made by Komine, the serial number starting with 28.. These were just as good, but without the iris problem. Scroll down my old lenses page to see a picture of one.. http://www.snaar.co.uk/lenses/

DJMC
22nd April 2011, 09:03 PM
Before you buy it, check carefully that the aperture works correctly. Vivitar used various manufarcturers, and the 22 in the serial number shows it was made by Kiron, if I recall correctly. Very good and sharp optics, but they have a bad reputation for getting oil in the iris blades. This goes sticky and it all seizes up.

I had one of these, it took me ages to strip the lens and clean up the blades :(

Hope this helps

Pete

Thanks Pete.
...and would it be a worthwhile addition?
At what price?

snaarman
22nd April 2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks Pete.
...and would it be a worthwhile addition?
At what price?

Well they are supposed to be quite sharp and kiron lenses have a following amonst the manual focus fraternity. Price is anyone's guess, but anywhere from 20 to 40 I could imagine... I found lenses this short quite difficult to focus manually BTW, but that's probably my eyesight as much as anything.

Pete