PDA

View Full Version : All about lens apertures

Ian
22nd April 2011, 03:29 PM
Here is a summary or excerpt from an article that has just been published on DPNow:

Understanding lens apertures can be the key to unlocking a new level of photographic prowess for budding photographers. The aperture settings you choose dictate exposure, what's in focus, image quality and much more. This extensive article with nearly 30 illustrations, leads the reader through the wonders of aperture, f/stop, f-number and much more.

Click here to read the whole article... (http://dpnow.com/7975.html)

Who's_E
22nd April 2011, 10:41 PM
Ian,

Another handy article, thank you.

Nick

Ross the fiddler
23rd April 2011, 03:52 AM
Thanks Ian for another useful & informative article. I'll forward the link to my son inlaw who will really appreciate it & he will then discover DPNow & how good it is (being a Canon user).

*chr

Chevvyf1
23rd April 2011, 08:45 AM
Here is a summary or excerpt from an article that has just been published on DPNow:

Understanding lens apertures can be the key to unlocking a new level of photographic prowess for budding photographers. The aperture settings you choose dictate exposure, what's in focus, image quality and much more. This extensive article with nearly 30 illustrations, leads the reader through the wonders of aperture, f/stop, f-number and much more.

Click here to read the whole article... (http://dpnow.com/7975.html)

Ian I emailed the Depth of Field+Bokeh to a friend who believed they HAD to buy a PRIME lens to get the soft out of focus behind ! They thought I was joking about Bokeh ! YOU just saved him 600 ! and proved me right!

Ian
23rd April 2011, 02:22 PM
Ian I emailed the Depth of Field+Bokeh to a friend who believed they HAD to buy a PRIME lens to get the soft out of focus behind ! They thought I was joking about Bokeh ! YOU just saved him 600 ! and proved me right!

Thanks everyone :)

Some lenses do produce bad bokeh and incidentally the worst offender in my collection is actually a prime, my old 50mm f/1.4 OM Zuiko :D

Modern lenses are pretty good with bokeh as long as you get close enough to the subject. I should have mentioned in the article that all lenses will produce bad bokeh if you can't blur the background enough by getting close enough to the foreground subject.

Ian

francois
23rd April 2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the article.