PDA

View Full Version : Camera cleaning/repair UK?

snaarman
30th March 2008, 11:24 AM
After a sequence of experimental focus screen swaps, and despite my very best efforts, the view through my E400 now has various tiny dust marks, which will drive me mad slowly :-) I have tried my usual method (sable bush and blow) which has served me well in the past, but its not getting any better.

Does anyone have experience of camera/repair or cleaning here in the UK? Any idea what cleaning the viewfinder/screen might cost, and how long they need to keep the camera?

Regards

Pete H

DTD
30th March 2008, 12:44 PM
You could try Olympus themselves: http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_1549.htm

But most servicing by anybody has a minimum charge. When I had my OM1's done by a local shop several years ago it was £67. My last E-1 repair and service was £100.

It's up to you to decide if it's worth paying possibly half of the value of the camera if it's not affecting your pictures.

snaarman
30th March 2008, 01:46 PM
Hmm, how much to spend, that really is it:

Given a replacement E400 will be cheap these days, and as it doesn't affect the pictures..

Its just that the view through the eyepiece drives me mad :-)

P

j.baker
30th March 2008, 08:21 PM
You can buy replacenemt focus screens.

I have purchased two from Luton cameras. They were proper olympus screens. (I have on here as a spare)

They cost me less that 20.

j.baker
23rd April 2008, 08:01 AM
Update time.

I have a problem with my camera, which I am trying to get sorted out, but I discussed getting Olympus cameras cleaned/serviced with Olympus.

I asked: "if the camera develops dust problems or any other fault, can it be sent back in to be cleaned/repaired. I was told that as long as it was under two years old and if you had a shop invoice with the warrantee card, then they would probably fix it for you"

You may be able to send the camera in FOC (except for shipping)

snaarman
23rd April 2008, 11:52 AM
That is potentially good news :-)

I just checked and my E4000 is just over 1 year old. Doh!

Pete

j.baker
23rd April 2008, 12:25 PM
IF it is a UK model, then it may have a two year warrantee.

Dont bother calling them today...Their office is closed for some reason.