PDA

View Full Version : New E-510 user. What CF & XD reader... USB or Expresscard 34 slot?

DJMC
18th April 2011, 12:07 PM
:)

Hi,

Having just bought a used E-510 with 4GB CF and 2GB XD cards I'm thinking I should buy a multi card reader, and there are many on the Bay for around 2!

But which one will be good for both cards and not stop working after 3 months!?

Also, my laptop has only an SD card reader but it also has a vacant Expresscard 34 slot. Should I buy a multi card reader to fit that slot, and if so, why? Will the EC34 slot give faster download times to my laptop or should I stick to USB?

The EC34 slot usage would be a neater solution as I could leave the card reader in place but it's going to be more expensive than a few quid!

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

;)

Grumpy Hec
18th April 2011, 12:34 PM
Hi

In my experience Camera to PC via USB is significantly slower than using a card reader. Can't comment on the slot but personally I'd go for the card reader option.

cheers

hec *yes

DJMC
18th April 2011, 12:42 PM
Hi

In my experience Camera to PC via USB is significantly slower than using a card reader. Can't comment on the slot but personally I'd go for the card reader option.

cheers

hec *yes

Thanks for the reply.
I meant should I buy a USB card reader or an EC34 one?

:confused:

Grumpy Hec
18th April 2011, 01:46 PM
Ah - sorry. :o

Can't comment on the slot option in that case.

Hec

The Technician
18th April 2011, 01:51 PM
You should check out 7dayshop.com some card readers at a good price and includes delevery. *chr

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=6&type=5060&man=0&filterwords=&go=SEARCH&comp=

stoates
18th April 2011, 03:45 PM
I have only ever connected my E-510 to my PC with the USB cable provided and have never had an issue. If you have the cable give it a go and check out the tansfer speed. Unless you are transferring 100's of images at a time you may find that the direct connection is fast enough. Of course not having tried a card reader I could be missing out on lightning transfers! :)

Melaka
18th April 2011, 05:58 PM
You can get an SD to CF adapter that will enable you to use an SD card in the 510's CF slot and you can then plug the SD into your laptop. You can get CF readers that will plug into a PCI slot on your laptop but I find them rather fiddly. The XD card has little to commend it and I guess most forum members only use theirs as an emergency backup. It's a matter of cost and convenience in the end.

Homer Simpson
18th April 2011, 07:15 PM
I have no XD cards

Did I read on this forum about the camera getting confused if you have both slotted in??

I usually connect my camera to the computer.

My theory is the less I remove the CF card the less likely I will bend one of those tiny little pins inside. The only time the 4g card comes out is when I need to use the 2G back backup due to a full card. But its only happened the once.

I do however have a Technika multi card reader (bought from Tesco) which works OK.

Melaka
19th April 2011, 06:48 AM
I have no XD cards. Did I read on this forum about the camera getting confused if you have both slotted in??

You can tell the camera which card to use. If there's only one in the camera when you switch on it will default to that card.

Ian
19th April 2011, 09:56 AM
It depends really. USB card readers are the most versatile, and the cheapest. ExpressCard 34 readers are potentially the fastest, but some only operate at USB speed. For a 'proper' fast one, I'd recommend something like the Lexar Pro Express Card 34 card reader, see:

http://dpnow.com/6901.html

Ian

DJMC
19th April 2011, 12:40 PM
You can get an SD to CF adapter that will enable you to use an SD card in the 510's CF slot and you can then plug the SD into your laptop. You can get CF readers that will plug into a PCI slot on your laptop but I find them rather fiddly. The XD card has little to commend it and I guess most forum members only use theirs as an emergency backup. It's a matter of cost and convenience in the end.

Now that sounds like the perfect solution!
Any recommendations, or is it back to Ebay?
I see there are 3mm and 5mm CF card adapters. Is this just a matter of measuring the 510's current CF card's thickness to see which I need?
And is it CF type I, or CF type II ?

:)