PDA

View Full Version : 4/3rds lens hire - anyone know anywhere...?

theMusicMan
29th March 2008, 03:09 PM
Hi All

I have read several posts on other forums where there are companies who rent out Lenses and kit for Canon and Nikon gear, but I have yet to see anywhere that offers this service to 4/3rds users.

Does anyone know if there's a company out there - UK based preferably - who rents out 4/3 lenses...?

Cheers.

j.baker
29th March 2008, 03:12 PM
I have contacted several companies in the UK. I have found none that rent camera lenes. Most rent Canon or Nikon.

What are you looking for?

andym
29th March 2008, 03:13 PM
John

Try Calumet although I suspect they only have Canikon.

theMusicMan
29th March 2008, 03:13 PM
Well, I'm considering purchasing the Sigma 50-500mm lens, but having read a few threads on here about the 135-400mm I am reconsidering. It's almost half the price.

j.baker
29th March 2008, 03:55 PM
I was looking at the Bigma, but I have decided to go for the 50-200 SWD.

I know the 50-200mm does not have the reach of the Bigma, but I am after a better quality image than my 70-300mm. Plus I also have the EC-20.

I may get the 50-500mm later in the year.

I rang Calumet and they referred me to another company, who also did not stock the 4/3rd lenses.

I spoke to Sigma UK, and they have the Bigma in their offices. I asked if I could visit them to try the lens on my E510. They said that they would be happy to, although I would need to arrange an appointment first.

David M
29th March 2008, 03:56 PM
It's unlikely anyone would rent the Sigma. Most rental departments are aimed at pros and carry a range of the camera makers lenses.

They usually carry the popular lenses for that maker for anyone needing a replacement for a damaged/faulty/misplaced/stolen lens. Plus some of the exotic lenses (super teles, fisheyes and T/S lenses for example) for the times someone needs one but can't justify buying the lens for a one off shoot.

When I shot large format I used to rent ultra wides and bag bellows for the few times I needed them.

Chillimonster
29th March 2008, 04:17 PM
There's always the Distance Selling Regulations.

they basically state that you can 'examine' products, and if they are not suitable you can return them within 10 days for a full refund (less the cost of shipping usually)

i have used them a few times for stuff i cannot get to try / buy locally.

Have you considered the 50-200 and the 1.4. not quite the reach you are after but a good deal faster and better resolution so more 'cropable'?

Who's_E
29th March 2008, 10:02 PM
Have you considered the 50-200 and the 1.4. not quite the reach you are after but a good deal faster and better resolution so more 'cropable'?

Yes, not quite the reach but pretty fast with a max aperture of f4.9 at a focal length of 560mm

I used it the other day (in the rain) and actually managed some pretty sharp bird shots at really slow shutter speeds, say 1/30th or 1/60th. Without that combination I suspect I would have had to go home...

Zuiko
30th March 2008, 12:06 AM
Hi All

I have read several posts on other forums where there are companies who rent out Lenses and kit for Canon and Nikon gear, but I have yet to see anywhere that offers this service to 4/3rds users.

Does anyone know if there's a company out there - UK based preferably - who rents out 4/3 lenses...?

Cheers.

Hi John,

Try 3rd Eye UK, based in Birmingham http://www.3rdeyecamerahire.co.uk (http://www.3rdeyecamerahire.co,uk)

From the home page click on the "Kit Hire" tab on header then select "Olympus E1 Stills Camera" from side menu. Lenses are listed at the end of the E1 specs. They don't list Sigma but it might be worth contacting them. (they do list the Zuiko 300mm f2.8 - now that's some lens!)

Hope this helps, if not are there any members who own one of the lenses in which you are interested living close enough to team up with for a day?

Regards,

John

Chillimonster
30th March 2008, 09:36 AM
John,

If you fancy trying the 50-200 SWD / EC14 combo and you'll cover the postage, i'll happily ship it down to you for a week or so.
let me know.

Chris

theMusicMan
30th March 2008, 11:02 AM
Cheers for the offer Chris, I may take you up on that sir. I'll be needing to ensure I have opportunity to use it though of course, so leave this with me and if you don't mind I'll get back to you in a few weeks when I know things have quietened down in work.

Does anyone here ever get fed up with politics in the workplace... phah... I've had enough of them at the moment - and I am self employed!!! Clients eh!