PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Printer Recommendations Please!

Zuiko
15th April 2011, 05:40 PM
I'd be grateful for recommendations for an A4 printer, preferably capable of borderless prints at A5 and especially A6.

Thank you. :)

StephenL
15th April 2011, 05:55 PM
I've nothing but praise for my Canon iP4700. It's the first Canon printer I've owned, previously having had Epsons, and it's the first printer which has never had clogged heads. It's fast, and even genuine Canon inks are reasonably priced.

Wee man
15th April 2011, 06:01 PM
I use the ip4700 as well no problems ink not to bad. Will also print on disks if needed.

Adagio
19th April 2011, 11:17 AM
If you are thinking of Canon, John, it is worth checking the ebay Canon Outlet (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet). I bought a 'refurbished' iP4600 for 34 with 1 year Canon warranty. Very pleased with it.

Bikie John
19th April 2011, 11:30 AM
The current issue of UK mag Black & White Photography has a comparative survey of several A4 printers. I haven't had time to read it yet, it might be worth a look.

Ciao ... John

wanderer
19th April 2011, 11:31 AM
I've used an Epson R800 for several years now and the quality of print is superb. I think there is now an update in models.

Ray Shotter
19th April 2011, 12:29 PM
I'd be grateful for recommendations for an A4 printer, preferably capable of borderless prints at A5 and especially A6.

Thank you. :)

John,

I have used Epson printers for some years and have a high regard for the quality of their Photo Prints. My current model is the Epson Stylus PHOTO PX700W. The W stands for wireless connection which allows my wife to print from her computer as well as me.

I print A4, A5 and A6 both with and without borders but you do have to ensure that when you crop your images you leave enough space to allow for the "borderless crop". However, I find that if I use the print ratios in Olympus Studio there is very little extra cropping when printing borderless.

I have had my current printer for a few years now so I imagine it has been upgraded but will almost certainly be a similar named model.

Ray.

Chevvyf1
19th April 2011, 12:39 PM
I have Canon PRINTERS only:eek::D : ip3600; 4000 A3; ip5200 and DH has ip3600 ! My fav thing is 1) HIGH Quality Print; I only use Canon inks [superior to refills :)] and SINGLE COLOUR Tanks may be replaced whenever they run out !

With Ilford Gallery Smooth Pearl or Gloss - Winning combination ! QUALITY at a good price!*chr

I buy bulk of Inks and Paper online ! [the suppliers let me know when there are "colour packs of inks" at special price and 2 for 1 on the papers, it may be a BIG order but 7.95 Courier delivery for one lot !]

StephenL
19th April 2011, 01:11 PM
Where do you get your genuine Canon inks from, please?

I buy bulk of Inks and Paper online ! [the suppliers let me know when there are "colour packs of inks" at special price and 2 for 1 on the papers, it may be a BIG order but 7.95 Courier delivery for one lot !]

Chevvyf1
19th April 2011, 01:28 PM
Most often google for cheapest multipak of 3 colours - like this

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?rlz=1T4SUNC_enGB364GB364&q=canon+inks+cheap&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7709722472525331098&sa=X&ei=cYytTcLYOoKy8gOBvInzAQ&ved=0CFoQ8wIwAw#

sometimes have to negotiate delivery by courier 4 to 5 days rate

I buy 20 x Multipacks Colour ; 20 x 2 blacks; 50 packs of 25 sheets of Ilford Gallerie with buy 1 get one free OR 20 boxes of 50 sheets (usually they offer free pack of Ilford Gold for every 2x50 sheets !)

My nieghbour works for London Camera Exchange and lets me know the REPS are supplying ON these OFFERS ! Make friends with your LCE staff !

P.s. It sounds like a lot of ink and paper - BUT we look after lots of children (6 or 8 per day) 3 or 4 days a week; each child 2 days - we take lots of photos of each child making; doing things; on the Beach; New Forest picnics; swimming; drawing etc., and print some ! ALSO print some photos to sell as prints :) and make cards of prints with 3 fold aperture cards (from www. Card Creations!) AND I often use very cheap Printing of 50 photos offers for "new clients" with Jessops etc (variety of email adresses:) - it pays for the HOLIDAYS !

StephenL
19th April 2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks for that. Unfortunately we don't have any photo dealers within 15 miles of here. There's a Jessops and a Jacobs in town, but we don't visit Edinburgh more than twice a year!

Zuiko
24th April 2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I've just read them having returned from holiday today.

I'll certainly seek out the current issue of B&W Photography as recommended by John and I'll follow up Ray's info that it's possible to print borderless A6 and A5 with the Epsom PX700W.

I am happy with the print quality from my Canon ip4500 and can sort of fool it to give me almost what I want but the big problem is it has recently developed a fault printing from the cassette, it will recognize plain paper when loaded but will not recognize photopaper and just keeps telling me paper is out and needs replacing. I can still use the rear paper feed but the paper I'm using slips slightly and prints slightly on the skew, a problem I wasn't getting with the cassette when it was working.

I'm currently watching an ip4500 on ebay and may take a punt if the bids stay low enough (I've got a fair stock of ink for that model) but if I have to buy new would definitely like A5/A6 borderless printing.

Thanks again. :)

Chevvyf1
24th April 2011, 09:15 PM
... but the big problem is it has recently developed a fault printing from the cassette, it will recognize plain paper when loaded but will not recognize photopaper and just keeps telling me paper is out and needs replacing.

... like A5/A6 borderless printing.

Thanks again. :)

Very gently wipe the paper feed rubber rollers with a foam in the middle nail file ! they get a build up of the thick paper fibres and cannot grip ! sometimes using a very lightly damp microfibre cloth after to take away the "loose fibres", one wipe, new area of cloth and again one wipe !*yes

borderless printing is a software set up - I shall take a look at your manual on line and check this ! :rolleyes:
IT DOES see - I will pm you

http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Inkjet/PIXMA_iP4500/index.aspx

Zuiko
30th May 2011, 01:42 AM
Thanks again for all the help in this thread. Just to bring things up to date, I've now got a recently discontinued but brand new Canon ip3600 off ebay at a bargain price. The rear paper holder is much firmer than on my old ip4500 and it comes with software that enables me to print my cards just how I want, which is fantastic. Only problem is that it prints very s-l-o-w-l-e-y compared to the 4500. I think this is because it's a budget model, however the print quality is the same, which is the main thing.

This isn't really a problem, because I can prepare and re-size the next image whilst printing a batch of cards, or folding and sealing the previous batch in cellophane bags. The main thing is at last I've got a printer that does what I want! :)

Chevvyf1
30th May 2011, 05:08 AM
Great outcome ! *chr and nice to hear the end of the story !*yes