PDA

View Full Version : 50-200 (non swd) + EC20 advice

scanny
29th March 2008, 12:45 AM
Hi All

I got a EC20 this week to use with my non swd 50-200 on an E1 at present. The weather has been typically scottish so far so the chances to get shooting havent been plentifull. I managed to get a few glimses of bluesky and sun so gave it a try. First impressions consisted of......how will i see anything in one of the lesser (e400,410,510) viewfinders with the E1's feeling much brighter yet very dark with the EC20. Im sure there is chronic user input errors just not asfocusing at f7.1 @400mm was a non event with hunting and changing to manual focus. I thought there was something a miss and the body was on firmware 1.4, updated to 1.5 and still the same.

I bought the ec20 on a whim as id just sold a bigma and this gave the option of similar reach without the bigma lump round my shoulder. What approach should be taken with the ec20 in shot selection, meetering and focus points, movment and focusing. ive read several people mention the satisfaction they have had with this combination so a steep learning curve to climb just yet

Thanks for your help

Steve

PeterD
29th March 2008, 02:04 AM
Steve

What do you intend to use the combination for? I guess you will be hard pressed to use it for fast reaction shooting. The SWD version might behave better - any one else have a view?

PeterD

Haisbro
29th March 2008, 06:56 AM
I am sorry you are having problems with the 50-200 lens and EC20. The following image was taken with the same lens combination, but on an E3. It is the spire of Norwich Cathedral and was hand held.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=243&stc=1&d=1206772749

On another forum the question was replied by simply saying "never use this combo unless its bright and sunny". Without IS and dull weather you are asking quite a lot especially with the E1 performance in certain low light situations.

For me when using E1, 50-200 non swd and EC14 i always used a tripod to get sharper images, but then most of my images were travel and not sport. Higher ISO should help in the sports arena.

mike_j
29th March 2008, 07:11 AM
I use the combination quite often for wildlife with good results. It really is necessary to use a tripod or bean bag unless you can push the speed really high. Maximum aperture is f7.1 and viewfinder will be a bit dark, live view is sometimes useful here on the E510.

There is a firmware upgrade available for the EC-20, don't know whether it covers your camera though.

Haisbro
29th March 2008, 07:14 AM
You cant sleep either!

*zzz I wish

David:D