PDA

View Full Version : 7-14mm, what about filters?

R MacE
10th November 2007, 05:58 PM
Is there any way to use ND/ND Grad filters on the 7-14mm? As I understand it there 's no filter thread.

If you use this lens do you find not being able to use filters a problem?

Richard

photonutter
10th November 2007, 07:23 PM
Could be the old bluetak solution. A bit fiddlely but worth it.

R MacE
10th November 2007, 07:37 PM
Good idea :)

I suppose it would need Z-Pro filters, I don't imagine P series would be wide enough.

rich s
29th November 2007, 07:49 PM
Not even the larger Lee Pro filters help - you still see the edges of the filter.
Its good reason for hanging onto a 11-22 if you want to use NGrads.

yorky
29th November 2007, 09:28 PM
Are there any Z pro filters about? I have had some on order since early September and am still waiting delivery.

Graham_of_Rainham
21st January 2008, 09:17 PM
Could be the old bluetak solution. A bit fiddlely but worth it.

Bluetak and Gel Filters works very well but the filters suffer greatly from whatever chemicals Bluetak is made from. To keep them flat simply place the filter on a clean flat surface then place the 7-14 on to the filter an attach with 4 bits of Masking Tape (Folded to stop the tape introducing a bending force to the gel filter) It's not ideal as adjustments are slow but the desired effect from the filter is achieved.

Another idea I'm going to try is the modification of a filter holder from a theater lighting rig, as soon as I can get one that is not to heavy.

Graham

sapper
22nd January 2008, 08:14 AM
Is there any way to use ND/ND Grad filters on the 7-14mm? As I understand it there 's no filter thread.

If you use this lens do you find not being able to use filters a problem?

Richard
I just use the lens out of the bag, no filters and my pics are OK.
Dave.

David M
22nd January 2008, 11:29 AM
If I need a longer shutter speed I simply hold a large ND gel in front of the lens which works unless it's windy.

I've done the same with ND grads but found they affect sharpness at the wide end of the zoom range. Probably because the light is coming through the filter at such an acute angle as the grads are probably ten times thicker than the ND gels. And maybe because I'm not managing to get the filter parallel to the 'film' plane.

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd January 2008, 07:16 PM
I have to admit that because it is all so fiddly sticking gels to the tips of the hood and I did notice some strange effects that I think are down to light getting in the holes at the sides and reflecting off the back of the gel that, I will probably go for underexposing in RAW and using PS filter effects if and when I want them. This one is very heavily adjusted in PS but the judges seemed to like it.

What do you guys think?

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/thumbs/B_W-Market.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2120)