PDA

View Full Version : The E-5 story

Cathrine Stephansen
10th April 2011, 07:13 PM
I just came over this on the main Oly site. Appologies if it's already been posted.

Makes for an optimistic read!

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/e5/special/story/index.html

cinders
10th April 2011, 08:48 PM
Very positive about the future for an E-x sized camera - but I'm not really happy that the only way forward for E-xxx users is to get a Pen sized body. I want something in the middle!.... I'll just have to hope that my E620 lasts me for ages.

*chr

Zuiko
11th April 2011, 02:31 AM
I think it is encouraging and positive because although they avoided the issue of future development of the SLR range they did fully acknowledge that the Pen range cannot fulfill all functions of an SLR.

Unfortunately they virtually discounted the prospect of an eventual E-620 replacement, indicating instead that they intend to channel current users towards the Pen range. IMO this is Olympus's one big mistake; just because many users want (or can only afford) the smaller, lighter DSLRs such as the E-4xx, E-5xx and E-6xx ranges doesn't mean they don't want or need full DSLR performance and functuality.

Surely it wouldn't have been too big a drain on resources to update the E-620 with the new AA filter and processor and continue production? Not only would it have kept many users on board until mirrorless technology is fully developed and have bolstered confidence in those contemplating the E-5, it would also have been one hell of a budget camera capable of attracting new users and switchers from other systems. :confused:

snaarman
11th April 2011, 06:56 AM
Unfortunately they virtually discounted the prospect of an eventual E-620 replacement, indicating instead that they intend to channel current users towards the Pen range. :confused:

They miss the fact that many of us long sighted folks can't use the rear screen on a regular basis, I prefer an eyepiece and I would rather they made an E650 with an integrated evf please.

The idea of a Pen EP-2 plus the evf mounted on top plus the lens adapter, then my 4/3rds lenses doesn't do it for me.

Pete

FlemmingS
11th April 2011, 03:34 PM
Zuiko
I partly agree with you, I would also love a E-650 or event better a E-50.

But I often see people with entry-level DSLR's who obviosuly don't know how to get the best out of them.
For instance they use live-view ignoring the eye-piece, their pop-up Flash constantly pops up and ruins not only their picure but also any nearby photographers (eventhough their Canikons can produce splenid Hi-ISO photos), they attend birdshows and shoot against the sun and then wonders why their sophisticated camera can't produce a decent photo etc.
Many of them would certainly be better served with a PEN or even an XZ1 :)

I have also heard some people complain that their DSLR's don't produce better pictures then their compacts.
They simply don't understand the capabilities of their equipment.

I sincerely hope that Olympus will reconsider and produce a cheaper alternative to the E-5 like they did with the E-30.
But until then I'll save up for a E-5

timg
11th April 2011, 04:29 PM
I partly agree with you, I would also love a E-650 or event better a E-50.

I think that's what many of us are pining for! :D

Personally I think that the way forward for Olympus would be an SLT style camera which can take native FT lenses.

You could have a large EVF built in, still use PDAF and there's no reason why the mirror couldn't flip out the way so you can still get the full amount of light into the sensor when you come to take the picture (I understand the Sony SLT cameras leave the mirror where it is reducing the amount of light which would make images slightly noisier).

You could even have a "fast burst" mode with the mirror staying where it is and the processing engine over-exposing the images... yes you'd get noisier images but at low ISOs it wouldn't make that much difference.