PDA

View Full Version : 50-200mm on mFT

timg
9th April 2011, 03:22 PM
Does anyone have any experience of using the 50-200mm mk1 lens on a mFT body? or does contrast auto focus only work with the mk2 version of the lens?

At the moment I have an e510 and e1 but I'm still not sure if I will go for an e3/e5 or mFT body in the future so I'm a little reluctant to spend too much on new lenses and the SWD versions are considerably more...

Sorry if this has been asked before!

Ian
9th April 2011, 03:45 PM
Does anyone have any experience of using the 50-200mm mk1 lens on a mFT body? or does contrast auto focus only work with the mk2 version of the lens?

At the moment I have an e510 and e1 but I'm still not sure if I will go for an e3/e5 or mFT body in the future so I'm a little reluctant to spend too much on new lenses and the SWD versions are considerably more...

Sorry if this has been asked before!

Not all Panasonic Lumix MFT bodies will AF older Four Thirds lenses, but all Olympus Pens will. I would predict that the Mark 1 will focus better than the Mark II SWD version of the 50-200 because SWD lenses are highly optimised for phase detect AF. But both will work, though be prepared for slow AF speed and less consistent accuracy.

Ian

timg
10th April 2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks for that Ian, that's kinda what I expected.

Sounds like that although it will work on both it's not really an ideal lens for either path... if I go for e3/e5 you'd ideally want the SWD lens and if I go mFT then ideally you'd want a mFT lens.

Alan Clogwyn
10th April 2011, 01:19 PM
Both will AF on GH2, but not on other Panasonics.

timg
10th April 2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the confirmation Alan, I was also wondering if anyone knew how fast/reliable the AF is compared to being mounted on a full FT body?

I'm in that part of the Oly demographic where I would be normally be looking towards a camera in the exx range for my next upgrade (if that ever happens) and it will be several years before the e5 has come down far enough in price... I'm currently playing the waiting game but we've still got to have an eye on the future.