PDA

View Full Version : E5 Review in 'Photo Professional'

Seonnaidh
7th April 2011, 06:11 PM
Got home this evening to find my copy of Photo Professional waiting on the doormat.
On page 86 Damien McGillicuddy reviews sub 1200 DSLR's suitable for the pro semi pro market.

Usual reviews comparingPentax K5 Nikon D7000 Nikon D300s & the Canon 7D.
of which the Canon cones out top. OK
But on page 91 there is a half page sub article entitled 'The Olympus E-5 another entry level pro DSLR contender to consider.....'

I started reading expecting a fairly critical and unfavourable review. Far from it. Far from it indeed.

I can't really be bothered to type out the whole article but here are one or two extracts.
"As an example, the images give as much detail as my Nikon D3x, and that's saying something."

"...- skin tones are amazing, and in terms of colour and WB accuracy I've had no issues."

"in short, this will make my business easier as it works more like a film camera in that you don't have to strip away levels of IT to use it. It's a machine built to take an image and I won't be giving it back!

No remember Damien McGillicuddy is a working pro who depends on his kit to earn his living.

Nuff said.

JackBenedict
7th April 2011, 07:00 PM
can't wait for it to drop sub 1K price !

benvendetta
7th April 2011, 09:51 PM
Got home this evening to find my copy of Photo Professional waiting on the doormat.
On page 86 Damien McGillicuddy reviews sub 1200 DSLR's suitable for the pro semi pro market.

Usual reviews comparingPentax K5 Nikon D7000 Nikon D300s & the Canon 7D.
of which the Canon cones out top. OK
But on page 91 there is a half page sub article entitled 'The Olympus E-5 another entry level pro DSLR contender to consider.....'

I started reading expecting a fairly critical and unfavourable review. Far from it. Far from it indeed.

I can't really be bothered to type out the whole article but here are one or two extracts.
"As an example, the images give as much detail as my Nikon D3x, and that's saying something."

"...- skin tones are amazing, and in terms of colour and WB accuracy I've had no issues."

"in short, this will make my business easier as it works more like a film camera in that you don't have to strip away levels of IT to use it. It's a machine built to take an image and I won't be giving it back!

No remember Damien McGillicuddy is a working pro who depends on his kit to earn his living.

Nuff said.

He was the guy at Focus on the Bright Publishing stand. Very pro E-5!

paullus
8th April 2011, 05:04 PM
Oh dear I feel another photo mag subscription looming
I ordered Photography Monthly after I read that it contained a favourable review of the E5 by pro-shooter, Steve Pope. He too was very very impressed.
I really love it when folk who sucessfully take photos for a living write reviews that completely contradict the "expert" bashers. The same bashers who would only know they had come into contact with an E5 if they were hit with one!:D
In this same mag the Pentax K5 received a review entitled "Well done or overcooked?" which concluded in a nutshell that it was not user-friendly.
Has the E5 suddenly drawn the focus away from its mainstream rivals?