PDA

View Full Version : Gutted

bazza2764
6th April 2011, 09:44 PM
Feel gutted tonight, whilst cleaning my lenses and having a general clean of my equipment i have noticed a very small chink on the front glass of my 14-42mm lens, i have been noticing a spot on certain images lately but thought it was maybe dust. its not the end of the world but I'm gutted >:(

Zuiko
6th April 2011, 11:58 PM
Feel gutted tonight, whilst cleaning my lenses and having a general clean of my equipment i have noticed a very small chink on the front glass of my 14-42mm lens, i have been noticing a spot on certain images lately but thought it was maybe dust. its not the end of the world but I'm gutted >:(

I'm not surprised you're gutted, it's always disappointing when something like that happens. At least you know now what is causing the aberation in some of your images. Sorry to hear your bad news.

Jim Ford
7th April 2011, 09:39 AM
Minor damage to the front glass of a lens won't show itself as a spot. The only effect it would have would be a slight reduction in contrast - probably unnoticeable. I've had a bubble in a Russian lens, but it produced superb images.

If you're _really_ worried about image degradation, put a tiny spot of Indian ink on it, to prevent it diffracting light.

Jim

Ian
7th April 2011, 09:42 AM
We have dozens of lenses here and what often appears to be a chip usually turns out to be some welded-on dirt. Sometimes lens cloth and lens fluid won't shift it, but a Lens Pen 9/10 times does, sometimes requiring the aid of some moisture. A couple of our lenses have damaged coatings in small spots, but this makes no difference to the image quality. It's actually quite hard to chip the glass!

Ian

bazza2764
7th April 2011, 04:28 PM
hmmmm maybe it is dust and not the chip, i am always careful with my lenses i will try the lens out and see if the spot is still there, thanks for the replies

ndl0071
7th April 2011, 07:47 PM
Fingers crossed you get it sorted out and it's not serious, perhaps you would consider fitting either a clear protector or UV filter to help avoid these 'heart attack' moments in future. (hope you don't mind the advice:))

bazza2764
7th April 2011, 08:14 PM
no i dont mind the advice, i have a UV filter on my larger lens the 40-150, when i get paid next week its first on my shopping list, cheers

David M
8th April 2011, 12:44 AM
It's actually quite hard to chip the glass!

Ian

Make that it's actually quite hard to chip most glass.

There's a 5mm diameter scuff/chip on the front element of my OM 350mm f2.8 and I used to know a bird photographer who noticed a crack about an inch and a quarter long across the edge of the front element of his 600mm.

peak4
8th April 2011, 06:04 AM
Barry, I know it's been posted before, but this article (http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches) always amuses me.
Try a little but of saliva, polishing with a finger end rather than a cloth.
It might well remove the offending lump.

Grumpy Hec
8th April 2011, 06:55 AM
Very interesting article indeed. Perhaps we do get a bit paranoid about minor dust spots at times although I for one will continue to "keep it all clean".

On a sort of related topic I have lots of sea water splashes on a couple of my 100mm square filters from doing long exposure shots low down and close to the waterline on a windy day last week. I don't want to just brush it off for fear of the vfery sharp edged slat crystals scratching the coating on what are quite expensive items.

Washing followed by gentle polishing is the obvious way but was curious if any fellow Olympian have tried and tested techniques for thgis sort of cleaning.

cheers

Hec