PDA

View Full Version : What are the facts?

Barr1e
4th April 2011, 04:55 PM
Anne and I are planning a trip by air (holiday) and when trying out the Peli case ie loading cameras (E-5 + E-30) and lenses, I wondered do we leave batteries in the camera (apart from spare ones in jackets). I can't find a definitive answer as to whether camera and flash batteries are allowed in checked in luggage?

We are not flying to the USA.

Also what have you done when travelling with much kit please.

Regards. Barr1e

DerekW
4th April 2011, 05:49 PM
When the restrictions on how many Li-On batteries were introduced I did search on the various web sites - especially the US TSA web site. From what I remember the size of the BLM1 battery was so small compared to the security limit that it could be ignored.

When I used a checked in Pelicase during the great "no hand carry" ban I left the batteries in the camera.

Treat this response as only hearsay and check out the various safely rules from the various governments.

However you might want to read the following:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

although you said you were not traveling to the US often the US rules are adopted across the world.

BA also publish this PDF file that discusses batteries etc

http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/Forbidden_Items_List.pdf

and failing all of this just contact the airline and get them to explain how they interpret the rules.

shenstone
4th April 2011, 07:47 PM
Checked in or cary on is fine, ut if you check in make sure you take them out of the gadgets as I once many yeard ago made that mistake and got called to open up my luggage and take the batteries out of a travel alarm :o

In terms of Li-Ion batteries and the reguations your BLM1's will come in at a measily 11 Wh according to my calculations and the regulations talk about batteries 100Wh and above

I carried 7 in my hand luggage on my few trips and no issues anywhere

BTW brave people checking in cameras in my opinion I've seen crushed suitcases and have lost luggage and would therefore never consider it for a moment as it would ruin my trip.

I had 10 Kg of camera kit on the trip to Morocco. the limit was 7, but I watched for a few minutes before joining the queue and they were not weighing hand luggage. If they had been I would give some of it to the Mrs or pay excess

If you are worried about weight, remember they weigh bags sometimes (last time it happened to me I was bag on the limit), but my coat wasn't ;)

I've never see them weigh a coat and you can drop a heavy lens in each pocket and repack after initial checkin and before security *chr

Regards
Andy

Barr1e
5th April 2011, 07:38 AM
Hi Derek and Andy -

Thanks for the info - we are grateful.

Barr1e (+A)

Howi
5th April 2011, 10:23 AM
Anne and I are planning a trip by air (holiday) and when trying out the Peli case ie loading cameras (E-5 + E-30) and lenses, I wondered do we leave batteries in the camera (apart from spare ones in jackets). I can't find a definitive answer as to whether camera and flash batteries are allowed in checked in luggage?

We are not flying to the USA.

Also what have you done when travelling with much kit please.

Regards. Barr1e

Hi barr1e - wouldn't personally put ANY camera gear in checked in luggage.
I new my hand luggage was over the limit, so stuffed my pockets with as much as I could, only to find they only gave it a cursary look for overall size.
I have had my hand luggage searched and asked to get everything out (Oh! 'err! missus!)
Batteries have usually been left in, I did read somewhere that battery contacts should not be exposed, a problem may be with Oly but not Pany batteries - but never had a problem here either.
an aside note - I have had my checked in cases opened on the last half dozen flights (I knew because they bent the lock to get in) probably to check why I had electrical leads, chargers, travel clock - stuffed into shoes etc
Well! it is wasted space.....

Have a good holiday

DerekW
5th April 2011, 11:11 AM
Cameras and checked luggage - if hand carry is banned - then you have no choice. So you have to have a back up plan available.

peak4
5th April 2011, 11:23 AM
Barr1e, I'd have concerns about checked in luggage too, depending on where you are flying, particularly if there is an interconnecting flight where most items seem to go missing.
We've just come back from Cuba where the first leg from Havana to Milan left late. We just made the connecting flight; my bag did, Jane's didn't. (fortunately it was found and came yesterday evening at 11pm by courier).
We were on a small group tour of only 16 people and at least a third of the others had horror stories, about either themselves, or fellow group members on previous trips losing luggage or having it delayed.
Geoff's bag arrived 10 days after him in on a 2 week holiday Guatamala for instance.
I packed a Lowepro Flipside 400 with my kit, (e-3, 12-60mm, 50-200mm, EC-14, EC-20, EP-1 + flash gun + 7-14mm + 20mm pancake, 4/3-mft adaptor, 10x42 binoculars, 10x25 binoculars, netbook, rough guide, battery packs etc.) all of which went into the main compartment.
I reasoned the EP-1 and 7-14mm was smaller and lighter than the 4/3 7-14mm and gave me an extra camera body as well; I used it with the 12-60mm via the adaptor when I had the EC14/50-200mm combo on the E-3. It also then left me with a pocket camera for the evenings.
I kept as little as possible in the front pocket so it would fit in the sizing frame at check-in, but needn't have bothered, as no-one checked it; I'm sure Ryan air would have done, but it would have been way over the weight limit for them anyway.
The official Olympus cotton waistcoat then hides a multitude of evils:) it goes through the hand baggage scanner and I've never had anything questioned yet, regardless of the number of batteries or chargers in it.
I did have a spot of bother at Athens with a lighter though. It was one of the little turbo flame ones which the attendant hadn't seen before. After explaining what it was and demonstrating it's use, she tried it upside down and nearly set her blouse on fire, much to the amusement of her colleagues:eek:
If you do go for cabin baggage for the cameras, don't forget to take a charger and a spare battery too. A camera or netbook with a flat battery is no good to anyone; remember Geoff above :(
If I was really pushed for weight, I might be forced to check in a lens or two, but never the basic camera and standard lens, just in case of problems.

Also check on your insurance and the airline's own regulations, either may absolve themselves of responsibility for expensive items in the hold.:mad:

Have a good holiday, where are you off to?
Looking forward to seeing the photos when you get back.

Barr1e
5th April 2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks all.

A visit to SRS Watford for a couple of small bags to carry on one camera and lens each with the rest in the Peli.

A good group discussion should have the dilemma solved.

Pix to follow.

Regards. Barr1e (+A)