PDA

View Full Version : card capacity

Homer Simpson
3rd April 2011, 04:26 PM
This must be a very basic question but I can't see the answer in the instruction manual.

If I have a 4G card how many RAW + LF photos does that equate too?
Also would a 2G card hold exactly half and an 8G exactly double

shenstone
3rd April 2011, 09:14 PM
My E-510 shows 158 with an empty card and the E-30 shows 157 so somwhere in that range

It also depends on the type of pictures and therefore the amount of complression that actually takes place. this is expected the JPGs for all makes, but ss the Olympus range use a compressed raw file format after the E-500 (which interstingly shows 167) you will get some rounding in the raws as well as the JPG files

Also the number on the back and in any manual will be based on the worst compression assumption. I often get 180- 190 on a card and have had 200 on a card

Half / double will therefore be approximate depending on all of these rounding figures rather than "exactly"

Regards
Andy

Ross the fiddler
3rd April 2011, 11:50 PM
I would refer you to page 128 in your manual where it gives figures for 1GB XD cards. This will give you an indication of what CF cards can hold by multiplying the amount by the size of the card you are using.

Homer Simpson
4th April 2011, 05:57 PM
I would refer you to page 128 in your manual where it gives figures for 1GB XD cards. This will give you an indication of what CF cards can hold by multiplying the amount by the size of the card you are using.

I looked honest :o

as you say there it is in black & white :rolleyes:

Ross the fiddler
4th April 2011, 08:32 PM
I looked honest :o

as you say there it is in black & white :rolleyes:

I know the feeling, "I couldn't see for looking" or "I couldn't see the forest for the trees". I've been there, done that (too often). :D