PDA

View Full Version : Noise Filter Settings

R MacE
26th November 2007, 10:33 AM
Hi,

is there anyway to find out what noise filter settings have been used on an image taken as jpeg. I've tried using Master 2 but while the 'As Shot' setting is shown for an Orf (Raw) file in the develop page there appears to be nothing either in exif or in the jpeg processing page to indicate the setting (off/low/standard/high) if the original was taken as jpeg.

Ian
26th November 2007, 02:05 PM
Hi,

is there anyway to find out what noise filter settings have been used on an image taken as jpeg. I've tried using Master 2 but while the 'As Shot' setting is shown for an Orf (Raw) file in the develop page there appears to be nothing either in exif or in the jpeg processing page to indicate the setting (off/low/standard/high) if the original was taken as jpeg.

I don't know the anser to this question, but I'd guess it was a custom 'Maker note' value in the EXIF data. You will need a dedicated EXIF reader to gain access to these entries.

Ian

R MacE
26th November 2007, 04:10 PM
Hi Ian, thanks, it's no big deal as I usually shoot Raw. It's unfortunate though that if I want to apply the Olympus Noise Filter presets I need to use Master 2 but as I normally use Lightroom I'll need to come up with an alternative solution.

What do you do if you want to shoot Raw at say iso1600 or 3200?

Richard

emirpprime
26th November 2007, 04:42 PM
Personally I shoot RAW, import into Lightrooma and convert to DNG, process (except sharpening if I know there is noise to deal with), then export into Photoshop where I use Noise Ninja. Then sharpen and output.

Depends on your workflow I guess. Also, I do it this was partly as I really don't like Master or Studio. I just can't wait for Lightroom to include Noise Ninja (apparently being worked on now Adobe released the APIs for 3rd party developers).

All the best,
Phil

R MacE
26th November 2007, 07:10 PM
Hi,

sounds pretty much like my current workflow. I've actually only got the Free version of 'Neat Image' which works outside of PS but I too process in Lightroom and output to PS for sizing, sharpening saving for web etc.

Cheers, Richard