PDA

View Full Version : E-5 - Yet another good review.

Zuiko
1st April 2011, 12:08 AM
In the April issue of Photography Monthly pro sports photographer Steve Pope tests the E-5, and likes it!

"I shot everything in manual, using identical settings to my much more expensive workhorse camera (a Canon EOS 1D MkIV) and, in my opinion, it would take an expert eye and close inspection to tell the difference between the two sets of images produced."

'nuff said! :)

DerekW
1st April 2011, 09:12 AM
so not good enough for expert users is my interpretation of the statement

wanderer
1st April 2011, 09:31 AM
I read it and the one in Outdoor photography.

There is a thing here about what you are used to.
Both reviewers I presume use a Canikon and have therefore become used to whatever that layout is.
Testing a camera for only a week doesn't, to my mind, get you into the 'groove'.
When I moved up from the E-500 to the E-3 it took me at least a month & I expect the same when I move up to the E-5.

However they did seem to like it and pointed out its strong points, ruggedness, swivelling screen, no sensor cleaning and excellent glass.
Now if only Olympus PR dept was paying attention.

Zuiko
1st April 2011, 09:38 AM
so not good enough for expert users is my interpretation of the statement

It also implies that it is extremely difficult to differentiate the images produced by the E-5 from those of a 16mp, 1.3 x crop pro camera costing 2.5 times as much.

Those with plenty of money can buy a 1D IV safe in the knowledge that they will be getting a marginal increase in quality.

Those with somewhat less than 3500 to spend on body only can happily settle for an E-5 knowing that they are getting an absolute bargain, almost a steal at the price, with very little loss of quality.

BTW Steve Pope said it was hard to tell the difference between the two sets of images, he didn't actually say which was best! :D

Seriously, he is extremely complimentary about all aspects of the E-5 throughout the review. Another quote:-

"It hasn't tempted a complete change of camera system, but it does offer a genuine alternative to the traditional big two with similar build and definitely similar image quality." (my emphasis)

Of course, this is way out of line with some of the lab tests on the E-5, but he is just a working photographer who only uses cameras in real life situations and gets paid for it, after all! :D

andyl
1st April 2011, 10:33 AM
I bought a copy of Digital Camera this week and was heartened to see that on their 'meet the expert' panel that one of them, Ali Jennings, is holding an E-5 (it might be an E-3) whilst all the rest are sporting canikons. It amused me to see that he has lost the cap to the flash lead socket!

maccabeej
1st April 2011, 11:53 AM
One thing that struck me as strange in the PM review ia why did he just have the 12-60. If I was going to give a Sports Pro a camera to test I would expect him to be using the 50-200 or the 90-250 or 35-100. perhaps they should give one to a wildlife photographer with a 7-14!
Jim

Zuiko
1st April 2011, 12:14 PM
One thing that struck me as strange in the PM review ia why did he just have the 12-60. If I was going to give a Sports Pro a camera to test I would expect him to be using the 50-200 or the 90-250 or 35-100. perhaps they should give one to a wildlife photographer with a 7-14!
Jim

Not strange at all, Jim, it's been standard practice at Olympus for years! :D

Luckily, Steve had some indoor close range and portrait assignments. :)

You'd think a company with products as good as the fast SHG zooms and prime teles would want to shout it from the rooftops, to get that glass into the hands of pros (particularly influential pros) at every available opportunity. But no, they prefer to fight with one hand (their best hand) tied behind their back! :confused:

Homer Simpson
1st April 2011, 02:30 PM
Did anyone who went to the Barking do ask Mark whatisface why Olympus marketing dept was so damn p*** poor ?

Barr1e
1st April 2011, 04:58 PM
Plus another here -

http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?p=70861#70861

Regards. Barr1e

Who's_E
1st April 2011, 08:47 PM
Interesting to see a graph of resolution between the GH2 and E3.

Although the GH2 shows a similar resolution to the E5, the test doesn't mention if it was done with the same lens - the picture shows the 12-60 on the E5 vs. a M4/3 lens which must make a difference, too.

Nick

Zuiko
1st April 2011, 08:59 PM
Interesting to see a graph of resolution between the GH2 and E3.

Although the GH2 shows a similar resolution to the E5, the test doesn't mention if it was done with the same lens - the picture shows the 12-60 on the E5 vs. a M4/3 lens which must make a difference, too.

Nick

Yes, but if you haven't got the glass.......:rolleyes:

That's what I keep telling Canon owners! :D