PDA

View Full Version : What to buy and where

charty
31st March 2011, 01:10 PM
Hi
I have an Olympus E600. A 14-42mm and a 70-300 lens, I would like some advice as to what other lenses to buy, I have heard that the 12-60mm is good, I'm into wildlife and also like macro.
Advice and good websites to buy from appreciated
Thanks
Caroline

jamie allan
31st March 2011, 01:44 PM
Caroline,
I was in the same situation and asked here for advice. Here's the thread from a couple of weeks ago - with yesterdays conclusion. Hope it helps you decide what to do. If you are based somewhere that you can get your hands on any kit you decide to buy it really helps - luckily one of the other forum members here was kind enough (and trusting enough) to loan me his 14-54 for a day.
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13387

Seonnaidh
31st March 2011, 02:15 PM
Well if you are on the Isle of Skye or very nearby I am always ready to help if possible.

Homer Simpson
10th April 2011, 03:06 PM
Hi
I have an Olympus E600. A 14-42mm and a 70-300 lens, I would like some advice as to what other lenses to buy, I have heard that the 12-60mm is good, I'm into wildlife and also like macro.
Thanks
Caroline

The best place to buy from has GOT TO BE HERE.
I've done a few good deals with very nice people.

If you come to the East Midlands "do" next week I'm sure there will be some tryout & handling opportunities.
I'm about to apply "thumbscrews" to a few members, who appear to have some posh kit, to attend.
Pepper has already said he will come & I know he has a nice selection to wet your appetite.

Ian
10th April 2011, 03:36 PM
The 12-60 focuses close for a standard zoom, but so does the 14-42 and neither are macro lenses. I'm also not sure how the 12-60 would be useful for wildlife. The 14-42 is no slouch in terms of image quality, so do you really need a 12-60? The 70-300 you already have does work well as a pseudo-macro lens and as a telephoto definitely qualifies as a wildlife lens. Maybe you don't need a new lens, just go for a EX-25 extension tube to make the 70-300 work even better for macro?

Ian

Tordan58
11th April 2011, 08:33 AM
Hi
Thanks
Caroline

Hi Caroline,

Your setup includes two good lenses. The 70-300 should be well suited for wildlife and to some extent for macro as well.

You mention you are looking at the 12-60 which is an excellent lens, which would be an upgrade from the 14-42, providing higher image quality, zoom range and speed. If you consider that move then you could also have a look at the 50-200, an upgrade from the 70-300 and with a focal length almost perfect to match the 12-60.

If you are looking for macro lenses then there are two options: the 35 mm (a good lens) and the 50 mm (an excellent lens).

Above is of course constrained by budget limitations.

Where to buy? I would say here on this forum. I have done some deals with nice people, money and equipment changed owner without problems. I would recommend posting on "for sale/want to buy" forum.

Cheers
Tord

Zuiko
11th April 2011, 09:33 AM
The 12-60mm is a great lens for landscapes, portraits, street scenes and general walkabout photography, but so is the 14-42mm. What you gain is better build quality (it's splashproof and can take a few knocks) and theoretical better image quality. However the 14-42 is also great for the same type of subjects, offers great optical performance in it's own right (significantly better than most kit lenses from other manufacturers) and is much smaller and lighter than the 12-60mm. Also, as Ian says, the 12-60mm won't really give you anything else for wildlife and macro and it's very expensive.

If you have that sort of money to spend then you could consider a 50-200mm plus EC14 to replace the 70-300mm. That combination would cover virtually the same range but with wider apertures and faster focusing. However, I've successfully taken birds in flight (in good light) with the 70-300mmm and it is also a supberb close focus (though not true macro) lens.

Another option is a Sigma 50-500mm (affectionately known as the "Bigma") which offers an astonishing focal range. Sadly no longer available new in 4/5 mount, you'd have to look out for one secondhand.

If macro really is your thing then you could consider a proper macro lens. None come sharper than the 50mm f2, although the working distance can prove a bit short when photographing insects. Alternatives include the Sigma 105mm which I use (very good image quality, reasonable working distance) or the Sigma 150mm (superb image quality and greater working distance but much more expensive).

As a starting point, why not hire a few lenses from this site's hire service, such as the 50mm macro and 50-200mm plus EC14? that will give you an idea of what they can do. You could also hire a 12-60mm to see if it really would give you anything that the 14-42mm doesn't.

benvendetta
11th April 2011, 11:45 AM
As has already been said, you probably don't need any more lenses. The equivelent 600mm of the 70-300 is pretty good and the 14-42 is not a bad kit lens. You are lacking the short telephoto range but this may not be a problem for you unless you were into portriature as well. The 12-60 would be your best bet if you really wanted to splash the cash as you would only be missing 10mm from 60 -70 (or 20mm in 35mm terms).

charty
11th April 2011, 12:18 PM
As has already been said, you probably don't need any more lenses. The equivelent 600mm of the 70-300 is pretty good and the 14-42 is not a bad kit lens. You are lacking the short telephoto range but this may not be a problem for you unless you were into portriature as well. The 12-60 would be your best bet if you really wanted to splash the cash as you would only be missing 10mm from 60 -70 (or 20mm in 35mm terms).

Thanks all for your advice, to be honest I probably dont know how to use what I have got! will have a chat with some people at the East Midlands meet on Saturday. Thanks again
Caroline