PDA

View Full Version : HLD-5 Grip

Ken Lister
31st March 2011, 12:38 PM
Just a heads up for anyone wanting an HLD-5 battery grip for an E600/620.
I bought one for 29.99, delivered, from Great Western cameras on Ebay. Arrived within 48 hours.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Great-Western-Cameras/Olympus-Bits-Pieces-/_i.html?_nkw=hld+5&submit=Search&_fsub=20634012&_sid=146718245

Ken

StephenL
31st March 2011, 01:40 PM
Wish I'd have known you wanted one. I've an unused one you could have had! Must get round to advertising the damned thing.

molgrips
15th April 2011, 08:05 AM
200 is a bit steep for these things, 30 is much better. Got mine from eBay.

Welshlansdcaper
20th May 2011, 10:16 AM
Hi

I bought one from GW Camera's as well - it works fine

Mike

rsh1960
20th May 2011, 02:21 PM
There now 11.99 on the Olympus web site

Ross the fiddler
20th May 2011, 02:25 PM

Doesn't that make you spit chips when the price is so low after you buy. *laugh

rsh1960
20th May 2011, 04:15 PM
Doesn't that make you spit chips when the price is so low after you buy. *laugh

I got one for 29.99, and found this out the day after mine was delivered.

gregles
20th May 2011, 06:09 PM

And here is the link;)

HLD-5 grip link (http://shop.olympus.co.uk/e_commerce/power-supply/olympus/hld-5-p-118-c-0.htm)

snaarman
20th May 2011, 07:11 PM
And here is the link;)

HLD-5 grip link (http://shop.olympus.co.uk/e_commerce/power-supply/olympus/hld-5-p-118-c-0.htm)

That's a good price..
Oh dear. I seem to have bought one :)

Pete

abacus180
14th June 2011, 06:38 PM
Help,
Bought a new one from Oly UK. What is the knurled knob for on the grip, it just keeps turning.
Also I have read that you can store the camera battery cover that you need to remove to fit the HLD-5 Grip somewhere in/on the grip, if so where?
Thanks

PeterBirder
14th June 2011, 06:53 PM
Help,
Bought a new one from Oly UK. What is the knurled knob for on the grip, it just keeps turning.
Also I have read that you can store the camera battery cover that you need to remove to fit the HLD-5 Grip somewhere in/on the grip, if so where?
Thanks

The knurled knob replaces the thumb wheel on the camera when you operate in portrait. If you set the little slider switch to "lock" it stops this and the shutter button on the grip operating when you operate in landscape.
The camera battery door fits into a neat little slot on the "prong" that fits into the camera body. There is a picture on the instruction leaflet but it's not very clear.

Hope this helps.

abacus180
14th June 2011, 07:17 PM
The knurled knob replaces the thumb wheel on the camera when you operate in portrait. If you set the little slider switch to "lock" it stops this and the shutter button on the grip operating when you operate in landscape.
The camera battery door fits into a neat little slot on the "prong" that fits into the camera body. There is a picture on the instruction leaflet but it's not very clear.

Hope this helps.
Thank you, that's really helpful. I'll have a play now. Is there an instruction manual that I can download/view? There was nothing in the box but warranty blurb.

francois
14th June 2011, 07:37 PM
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_manuals.cfm?prodID=N3589692

There should be a manual in the right side of the box, small but thick as it contains all languages.

abacus180
14th June 2011, 07:47 PM
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_manuals.cfm?prodID=N3589692

There should be a manual in the right side of the box, small but thick as it contains all languages.
Thanks Francois.
Even this doesn't explain how to use it or how it works. I've got no idea what to do really.

sponner
14th June 2011, 09:20 PM
Hi Abacus.

The instructions are rubbish.

I simply took the battery out of the cameran and inserted it, together with another, into the grip as it takes two.

unclip the battery compartment cover from the bottom of the camera, it comes right off and fits into the recess on the sticky out bit of the grip that then slides into the battery compartment.

Slide the grip into the battery compartment on the camera until it stops

use the large thumb wheel on the back of the grip marked "lock", turning it in the direction of the arrow cinches the grip to the body using the tripod mounting thread.

Thats it, camera should now work with two batteries instead of one, I have had mine on for about a week and haven't had to recharge yet.

The only other control is the little slide switch on the grip, in the "lock" position nothing on the grip works.

Slide it to the right and the activation button on the bottom front right corner of the grip works as well as the camera shutter activation button and the thumb wheel on the grip does the same as the little thumb wheel on the camera body, e.g. changes aperture size in aperture priority. These are ideal when shooting with teh camera on its side to give a portrait format image, other than that I leave it in the "lock" position

As far as I can tell thats all there is to it.

snaarman
14th June 2011, 09:21 PM
When I first got mine I couldn't make it work. I did the basic things: Remove the camera battery. Remove the battery cover and stow it in the grip. Fit the grip on the camera and tighten it up. Now put one or two batteries in the grip and the camera should work.

Except it didn't.. Olympus ship them with the "Lock" switch set to lock, and in that position the shutter and thumb wheel on the grip are disabled. :)

Pete

Woops. Sorry Sponner :-)
Still, at least we agree...

abacus180
14th June 2011, 09:44 PM
I'm getting the hang of it now. It seems to work OK.....I think.
One thing I've noticed on the E620 camera is that there is not a "scene setting" for portrait. Shame cos I found it really worked well on the E500.

sponner
15th June 2011, 12:08 AM
I think there is

But looking at olympus site specs no mention?

Doh, I thought that was teh little face icon before landscape

From a review site "There are also 18 Scene modes available: Portrait, Landscape, Landscape + Portrait, Night Scene, Night + Portrait, Children, Sport, High Key, Low Key, Digital Image Stabilization, Macro, Nature Macro, Candle, Sunset, Fireworks, Documents, Panorama (only available when using an Olympus xD-Picture Card), Beach & Snow. First you see a large sample image which then shrinks down to make room for the text explanation of the mode. "

francois
15th June 2011, 12:47 AM
Yes, there is a night scene mode. It's called NIGHT+PORTRAIT and is used by selecting the icon with a little star and a person with the mode dial (A, S, M, P...). In some circumstances, you may want to use the mode ART/SCENE instead and select CANDLE, SUNSET or FIREWORKS.

rsh1960
15th June 2011, 06:33 AM
Portrait is the first setting after auto

abacus180
15th June 2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks for your replies.

rsh1960
I am talking about the preset "Art/Scene" settings here as I said. and not the
"Portrait is the first setting after auto" you refer to.

Francois
Likewise,There isn't a preset portrait setting in "Art/ Scene"

SponnerDoh,
"I thought that was teh little face icon before landscape
From a review site "There are also 18 Scene modes available"
Same applies here except there are only 13 settings and no portrait.

Maybe I should ask the same question again?

meach
15th June 2011, 08:31 AM
There are 18 settings. Five directly available from the Mode dial: Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sport and Night Portrait. The other 13 are available from the Art/Scene setting on the dial.

The reason for separating them is that you cannot override the settings on the ones in the Art/Scene mode.

abacus180
15th June 2011, 08:49 AM
There are 18 settings. Five directly available from the Mode dial: Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sport and Night Portrait. The other 13 are available from the Art/Scene setting on the dial.

The reason for separating them is that you cannot override the settings on the ones in the Art/Scene mode.

Thanks again,
I understand, all I was saying is that I used the "scene" portrait setting with the E500 and it produced great results for me. I am just a novice who is trying to learn after all.

meach
15th June 2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks again,
I understand, all I was saying is that I used the "scene" portrait setting with the E500 and it produced great results for me. I am just a novice who is trying to learn after all.

And all I'm saying is that it's on the E-620 - but it's accessed directly from the mode dial rather than from the scene settings. Same thing - but in a different place. Hope this clarifies things.

abacus180
15th June 2011, 09:57 AM
And all I'm saying is that it's on the E-620 - but it's accessed directly from the mode dial rather than from the scene settings. Same thing - but in a different place. Hope this clarifies things.

Sorry it isn't the same thing, but just leave it at that eh?

Phaedrus
22nd June 2011, 02:21 AM
Found this earlier. May be of help to someone hitting this thread hoping to get clued in on the HLD-5.

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e620_grip.html

Mark

abacus180
22nd June 2011, 08:08 AM
Found this earlier. May be of help to someone hitting this thread hoping to get clued in on the HLD-5.

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/e620_grip.html

Mark

Thanks for that Mark, very useful.

Phaedrus
23rd June 2011, 11:04 PM
Hi Guys.

I want to buy a HLD-5 form Olympus for 11.99 (can't find one cheaper anywhere else, although the Oly site does say no stock for 14 days), but they don't deliver outside UK mainland (hmmm... when I google "Olympus Ireland", the top result is headed "Olympus - United Kingdom & Ireland" Why list it as the site for Ireland, if folk from Ireland can't buy from it? :mad:).

Anyone able/willing to help me out?

Thanks,

Mark

abacus180
24th June 2011, 09:25 AM
Hi Guys.

I want to buy a HLD-5 form Olympus for 11.99 (can't find one cheaper anywhere else, although the Oly site does say no stock for 14 days), but they don't deliver outside UK mainland (hmmm... when I google "Olympus Ireland", the top result is headed "Olympus - United Kingdom & Ireland" Why list it as the site for Ireland, if folk from Ireland can't buy from it? :mad:).

Anyone able/willing to help me out?

Thanks,

Mark

Don't forget there is 7 Postage on top of the 11.99

Phaedrus
24th June 2011, 09:52 PM
Don't forget there is 7 Postage on top of the 11.99

Yep. Kinda moot though, given that they won't ship to Ireland.

Dang! It'd really gall me to have to pay more than the 11.99 (+ shippping) somewhere else.

Phaedrus
26th June 2011, 11:37 AM
Jeez...

There are HLD-5s on amazon & ebay for nearly 200! What's that all about?

Anyone got any ideas on how I can get one from Olympus UK?

Ian - maybe I've misunderstood your connection with Olympus, and this may be cheeky :$, but are you in a position to have rules bent? :-/

Or can someone point me to a seller with HLD-5s for 12, that'll post to Dublin?

Thanks,

Mark

Ross the fiddler
26th June 2011, 12:08 PM
Jeez...

There are HLD-5s on amazon & ebay for nearly 200! What's that all about?

Anyone got any ideas on how I can get one from Olympus UK?

Ian - maybe I've misunderstood your connection with Olympus, and this may be cheeky :$, but are you in a position to have rules bent? :-/

Or can someone point me to a seller with HLD-5s for 12, that'll post to Dublin?

Thanks,

Mark

Can't find one that cheap but here is one on ebay for 29.99 plus 5.99 Economy Int'l Postage (if your in the UK it's free postage)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Olympus-HLD-5-Power-Battery-Holder-Grip-E-620-E600-/270713492181?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f07c812d5

There are also cheaper copies but you only get what you pay for.

Phaedrus
26th June 2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks Ross. Yeah, I saw that ebay ad. Still 36 to me, as opposed to 19 from Olympus, incl the 7 shipping cost.

I've emailed Olympus UK asking if they can suggest something for me. It's a bit crap to label the site "Olympus UK & Ireland", yet not be able to sell anything that's for sale on that site to Ireland.

There may be perfectly valid reasons for the situation, but so many other UK traders/sellers/companies DO sell to Ireland - 5-10 seems to be the rough common shipping cost to ship smallish (under 2kg), low-ish value (under 500) items from UK to Ireland...

I'll keep looking.

Mark

DJMC
27th June 2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks Ross. Yeah, I saw that ebay ad. Still 36 to me, as opposed to 19 from Olympus, incl the 7 shipping cost.

I've emailed Olympus UK asking if they can suggest something for me. It's a bit crap to label the site "Olympus UK & Ireland", yet not be able to sell anything that's for sale on that site to Ireland.

There may be perfectly valid reasons for the situation, but so many other UK traders/sellers/companies DO sell to Ireland - 5-10 seems to be the rough common shipping cost to ship smallish (under 2kg), low-ish value (under 500) items from UK to Ireland...

I'll keep looking.

Mark

Why not put an ad on here to find a member in the UK who would also like an 11.99 grip and is prepared to buy two (with free shipping on two items).

Send them your 11.99 + post to Ireland as soon as their order is confirmed. Then you each have a cheap grip. Yours at 11.99 plus post, the other member's post free for doing you a favour.

;)

DJMC
27th June 2011, 03:52 PM
I think you will find if you try and order 2 of these on the Olympus UK site... it won't let you. The option is only for one. I therefore assume the free posting offer by Olympus in this case, is limited to one grip and another totally different item no doubt much higher priced.

John

I queried this when I could only buy one (wanted two to avoid the shipping charges). Olympus UK email said:

"The Olympus Online Shop thanks you for your email and the interest you show for our products.

The restriction on the quantity is due to stock restriction. We have only one HLD-5 in stock at the moment. Our ream cannot give you an update as to replenishments, but you will find below the link that will help you find a local retailer:

http://dealerlocator.olympus.eu/StoreFinder/dealer/index.castle?language=fr&country=All

The Olympus Online Shop Team remains at your service for further queries,
Kind Regards,
Kathelyne
For the Olympus Online Shop Team"

But I think you may be correct!

So, the OP could ask if someone needs a lens cap for a tenner (that's what I bought in the end as with no shipping it then cost me 9.99 - 6.90 = 3.09), or whatever instead of a grip.

It is getting more complicated though!

:rolleyes:

Phaedrus
27th June 2011, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I saw that I couldn't edit the quantity to buy before I found out that they won't ship to Ireland.

If anyone does have anything they need/want from the Oly site, I'd indeed be very grateful if I could piggy-back my HLD-5 onto their order, and obviously cover all costs to them for my end of things. Might post a separate thread on that.

Thanks,

Mark

abacus180
27th June 2011, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I saw that I couldn't edit the quantity to buy before I found out that they won't ship to Ireland.

If anyone does have anything they need/want from the Oly site, I'd indeed be very grateful if I could piggy-back my HLD-5 onto their order, and obviously cover all costs to them for my end of things. Might post a separate thread on that.

Thanks,

Mark

Have you rang Oly UK to find out whether they have any? I was told they had sold out.

Phaedrus
30th June 2011, 06:23 PM
Ordered today - shipping to Ireland and all!

Mark

Ross the fiddler
30th June 2011, 11:10 PM
Ordered today - shipping to Ireland and all!

Mark

Finally! :rolleyes: :D

*chr

Phaedrus
1st July 2011, 08:47 PM
Shipped last night.

I work 380km from home Monday - Friday.

My wife booked a late deal to Spain with the kids - leaving Tuesday morning.

Why is nothing in life easy? :rolleyes:

Neighbours will take it for me and I'll get it next weekend. But I'll be pining for it all week, sitting lonely & neglected under the phone table in one of my neighbour's halls, waiting for me to come home and love it like a little puppy...

Mark

DJMC
1st July 2011, 09:17 PM
Shipped last night.

I work 380km from home Monday - Friday.

My wife booked a late deal to Spain with the kids - leaving Tuesday morning.

Why is nothing in life easy? :rolleyes:

Neighbours will take it for me and I'll get it next weekend. But I'll be pining for it all week, sitting lonely & neglected under the phone table in one of my neighbour's halls, waiting for me to come home and love it like a little puppy...

Mark

...now, have you ordered an extra Hama battery from 7dayshop???

;)

Phaedrus
1st July 2011, 10:03 PM
I'll see your Hama battery from 7dayshop, and raise you TWO UniRoss batteries, TWO Transcend 4GB 133x CF cards, an Oly 2GB xD M+ card, and TWO Lowepro Rezo 10 pouches from mymemory... *yes

:)

DJMC
1st July 2011, 10:05 PM
I'll see your Hama battery from 7dayshop, and raise you TWO UniRoss batteries, TWO Transcend 4GB 133x CF cards, an Oly 2GB xD M+ card, and TWO Lowepro Rezo 10 pouches from mymemory... *yes

I'll see your TWO UniRoss batteries, TWO Transcend 4GB 133x CF cards, an Oly 2GB xD M+ card, and TWO Lowepro Rezo 10 pouches from mymemory, and raise the alarm for the men in white coats to come and.........

;)

Ausdrio
10th October 2011, 08:36 AM
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_manuals.cfm?prodID=N3589692camerachargers (http://www.tmart.com/Camera-Chargers/)

oh, thank you very much!*yes

nickg
17th November 2011, 12:42 PM

As a (possible) word of warning, I've got a pair of Uniross batteries that I use in my grip and have found that they have expanded slightly in width (perhaps I should say they have puffed but that tends to suggest a worse case than it is) which makes them difficult to remove from the grip to charge due to a bit more friction. They don't tend to pop out when the lock pin is opened, I have used a scalpel to ease them out a bit to allow enough to grab with my fingers which is acceptable to me. I post this only as a heads up, I don't know whether Oly batteries suffer the same or any other third party brand.

I guess a nice solution would have a charger that connected to the grip and hence allowed both batteries that are mounted to be charged together. I don't suppose such a thing exists.