PDA

View Full Version : Help - Recommend Repair Please

LittleSuzyQ
30th March 2011, 10:37 PM
Hi all,

Dropped my E620 a couple of months ago (s**t happens). Thought everything was ok as been taking pictures without any problem since. Noticed today though that the hotshoe metal fixing has been dented to the point that I cannot remove the plastic slip on cover (completley jammed). I need to get it repaired. I live in the Leicester / Coventry area (Hinckley)- any suggestions?

Hope someone can help.

LSQ

Ross the fiddler
30th March 2011, 11:58 PM
For myself, I would sacrifice the cover if I couldn't bend up the rail before hand & after removing it, gently lever up the rail with a flat bladed screw driver & some protection layer (cardboard) against the contact plate, being very careful not to fracture the metal of the rail until it was back to shape. If that that sort of work is not what you're comfortable with, then don't do it, but seek more experienced help.

Zuiko
31st March 2011, 01:11 AM
Hi Suzy,

It's taken you a couple of months to realize this so you obviously don't use the hot shoe very often (I, too, rarely use flash). Do you now need to use flash, or is it just a cosmetic concern? On the bright side, you're one of the few people who haven't lost that fiddly little cover which normally fits too loose! :D

If you need it, either (CAREFULLY) try Ross's solution or contact Olympus Service for advice. Alternatively, try googling camera repairers in your locality.

Good luck. :)

Ross the fiddler
31st March 2011, 03:12 AM
On rethinking, I would probably use a duck bill or flat nose pliers to raise the bent rail. It would be safer than levering it up with the screw driver.

Hope you have it solved OK without much expense.

*chr

LittleSuzyQ
31st March 2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks guys, I don't use flash at the moment but I would like the option in the future and have been a little frustrated (not hugely) when taking pictures indoors.

I'll try to lever it out - even if I make a mess of it - I'm in no worse a situation in terms of sending it away or taking for repair.