PDA

View Full Version : Little Cicak

Cicak
26th March 2008, 07:20 AM
Hi, comments are aprreciated especially those on settings, technique. i am a newbie and i shoot based on feelings:eek: and sometime i dont know what works and what does not!:D for your info i always shoot in Aperture mode.

Cicak
26th March 2008, 07:22 AM
additional pics:)

Cicak
26th March 2008, 07:25 AM
Little Cicak's cousin...Charisse

dbutch
26th March 2008, 11:40 AM
Hi

You have some nice photo's there, My fav is the 1st one

You have used narrow depth of field to your advantage in most of those shots, what lens were you using

Cheers

Dave

knikki
26th March 2008, 12:10 PM
Nice set of images there. In you second ones it is a pity the lower half of the childs face is cropped off. But other that that good

Susan
26th March 2008, 12:40 PM
Hiya

I really like the expression in the first one, well captured :)

I like the lighting in the 5th one as well, you've got a cute wee model there :)

A different angle on the last shot, of your daughters cousin, but I think it works well. To my eye it's captured almost a characature/cartoon pose, but not in a bad way. I like it.

I think your right to take shots by feeling, I think you get an instinct from a shot and a feeling is to if it'll work or not.

Well done :)

Cicak
27th March 2008, 01:04 AM
Hi

You have some nice photo's there, My fav is the 1st one

You have used narrow depth of field to your advantage in most of those shots, what lens were you using

Cheers

Dave

thanks Dave,

First photo in the 1st set, that was the first time i tested my new 50-200SWD... i like that lens:)

ZD ED 50mm(my favourite lens and most used):D
Pics 2,3,5 (1st set)
Pic 2 (2nd set)

ZD ED 50-200 SWD
Pic 1 (1st set)
Pic 1 (2nd set)

ZD ED 40-150 (mkII)
Pic 4 (1st set)

ZD ED 12-60 (still struggling to use this lens):p
Only pic in Set 3

Nice set of images there. In you second ones it is a pity the lower half of the childs face is cropped off. But other that that good

hi knikki, thanks.If you r referring to pic 1(2nd set)....my inexperience shows in my framing...i make a lot of framing mistakes and sometimes exposure too.:p

Hiya

I really like the expression in the first one, well captured :)

I like the lighting in the 5th one as well, you've got a cute wee model there :)

A different angle on the last shot, of your daughters cousin, but I think it works well. To my eye it's captured almost a characature/cartoon pose, but not in a bad way. I like it.

I think your right to take shots by feeling, I think you get an instinct from a shot and a feeling is to if it'll work or not.

Well done :)

hi Susan,

my model (Caitlin) is paid by milk every 3 hours and nowadays milk is not enuf to satisfy her anymore! She is demanding a higher fee... soon she will ask for haagen daaz!:eek:

Thanks for your compliments... i like using children as models because they have a very natural expression even when they pose for you on the camera!:)

The 12-60 can give that cartoon look and her expression magnifies the look even further:D i cant seem to get good pics with this lens:(

I guess my weakness is settings and that comes with experience and meticulously studying every photo...where it went wrong and when one capture the moment beautifully...
...which takes time and effort...

thank you all for the kind comments

jmoh
27th March 2008, 08:54 AM
Hai Brudder,
Wah so cute and Beautiful, Feel like giving '' princess'' a Big Hug!....Way to go brudder!!!....:p:p:p.....Thanks....James.

Cicak
27th March 2008, 10:34 AM
Hai Brudder,
Wah so cute and Beautiful, Feel like giving '' princess'' a Big Hug!....Way to go brudder!!!....:p:p:p.....Thanks....James.

thanks Uncle James! Hope to see more of you here since we dont get to see you anymore in the "other forum".*chr

steverh
27th March 2008, 03:30 PM
You have some lovely pictures there. The first one is my favourite as well!

I think the reason for the "cartoon" effect is simply that you are very close to the model, looking down from above, and using the lens at a wide angle (12mm?). Any ONE of these is enough to give a very unflattering picture! :eek:

The 50-200 forces you to stand further away from the subject and gives a much more pleasing perspective.

If you use the 12-60 for portraits, I would stick to somewhere near the telephoto end (40mm or more). That should give nice results.

HTH

Cicak
27th March 2008, 11:36 PM
You have some lovely pictures there. The first one is my favourite as well!

I think the reason for the "cartoon" effect is simply that you are very close to the model, looking down from above, and using the lens at a wide angle (12mm?). Any ONE of these is enough to give a very unflattering picture! :eek:

The 50-200 forces you to stand further away from the subject and gives a much more pleasing perspective.

If you use the 12-60 for portraits, I would stick to somewhere near the telephoto end (40mm or more). That should give nice results.

HTH

Hi Steverh,

Thanks for looking and your comments. The 50-200mm and 50mm does give a more pleasing perspective. I am trying to learn how to use the 12-60 and i realised that what i like about the 12mm is that it can capture a lot of background details even with the subject standing very close( but with perspective distortion on the subject i.e. cartoon effect:D)...

i like it that the 12mm can capture her from head to toe ( in a good viewable large size) and still have a good amount of background...

i guess what i want the lense to do is; ...a nice portrait with as much as the surrounding included in the picture....
not sure if can be done without perspective distortion? i hope i make sense:confused: maybe i am asking the impossible...any suggestions?

cheers;)

steverh
30th March 2008, 10:41 AM
Hi Steverh,

Thanks for looking and your comments. The 50-200mm and 50mm does give a more pleasing perspective. I am trying to learn how to use the 12-60 and i realised that what i like about the 12mm is that it can capture a lot of background details even with the subject standing very close( but with perspective distortion on the subject i.e. cartoon effect:D)...

i like it that the 12mm can capture her from head to toe ( in a good viewable large size) and still have a good amount of background...

i guess what i want the lense to do is; ...a nice portrait with as much as the surrounding included in the picture....
not sure if can be done without perspective distortion? i hope i make sense:confused: maybe i am asking the impossible...any suggestions?

cheers;)

The problem is that to get lots of background, you need to be close to the subject, so some parts of the body are relatively much closer to the camera than others and will appear much larger in the picture.

It's not really distortion, it's just the way things are. There's nothing you can do about it except choose your viewpoint very carefully. Go down to the same level as the child and try and keep the camera level.

It's why the best portraits are taken from further away with a longer lens! :)

Cicak
31st March 2008, 12:03 AM
The problem is that to get lots of background, you need to be close to the subject, so some parts of the body are relatively much closer to the camera than others and will appear much larger in the picture.

It's not really distortion, it's just the way things are. There's nothing you can do about it except choose your viewpoint very carefully. Go down to the same level as the child and try and keep the camera level.

It's why the best portraits are taken from further away with a longer lens! :)

Thanks steverh. i will try keep persevering with my 12-60 or ditch it to replace with 14-35 SWD!(in my dreams) that would be a beautiful lens to have not considering its weight though:p

a few guys at our forum had a chance to try out the prototype 14-35 f/2 SWD:eek: during a friendly(which i sadly missed) hangout *chrsession before the F1 Sepang race when the guys from Singapore Oly forum came down to watch the race in Malaysia.... they were super impressed with the 14-35.... ;)

and they tried the pancake too the ZD 25mm (f/2.8 if i am not wrong)...

Cicak
10th April 2008, 12:19 AM
Some more Pics
1st pic "holding hands":)
2nd pic My Foot or Thumbs Up:D

jmoh
10th April 2008, 08:38 AM
Some more Pics

Hai Brudder!.........Way To Go!.......Cute Pics There!........*chr*chr*chr.....Uncle James.

steverh
10th April 2008, 09:16 AM
Some more Pics

Very nice - I love the first one.

Cicak
10th April 2008, 11:53 PM
Hai Brudder!.........Way To Go!.......Cute Pics There!........*chr*chr*chr.....Uncle James.

Its been a long time (Aug2007...wow more than 7 months ago) since you saw my her when we meet up to test one of the first piecs of ZD 70-300 in South East Asia and definitely the first in Malaysia and Singapore! The images were even featured in DPreview if i remember correctly....

hah found it with a quick search
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1022&message=25437292&changemode=1

You should see her now... very skillful at immitating speech:D

Well actually infact all little kids are cute:) i am sure you have seen many cute kids with your work in orphanages*chr

Very nice - I love the first one.

Thanks Steverh, will post more when i get the chance.

jmoh
11th April 2008, 12:24 AM
Hai Brudder,
How Time Flies........Yet Another chapter in Her Life. With A Loving Father and a Caring Mum, She Is On Top Of The World Now!.......:p:p:p.....HaHaHa!!!.......Hope To See You Soon One Of This Days.......Thanks.....James.