PDA

View Full Version : E-5 LCD Hinge

graham_jester
27th March 2011, 03:35 PM
Having just spent two weeks using the E-5 continuously on holiday, I have become increasingly aware of the fact that the LCD, when rotated out, seems quite 'floppy', with some play at the hinge.
I just wondered if this is normal for the E-5, since a comparison with the E-30 shows the latter to appear much firmer, with no play evident.
Graham

angelpaaul
27th March 2011, 07:36 PM
It depends on what you mean by 'floppy', there's a little movement on both my E-5 and my E-3 but nothing I'd worry about. In fact the E-5 hinge seems firmer than the E-3. Maybe it's just the way it is.

Regards - Paul

David Morison
27th March 2011, 10:18 PM
Well I find my E5 about the same as my E30, both are very firm. The E5 has been used nearly every day for 3 months and the E30 about the same for several months until I bought the E5. Mind you I don't flip very often.

David

paullus
29th March 2011, 05:41 AM
Hi Graham.
When you say quite floppy; can the LCD move of its own accord during normal use of the camera meaning that you have to adjust it frequently?
None of the LCDs on my E620, E3 or E5 were that loose that they could move on their own and there was nothing I would describe as play at the hinge.

graham_jester
29th March 2011, 03:26 PM
Hi paullus
Thanks for your question.
Basically, you can 'rock' the LCD at the lower hinge point and it is loose (as opposed to reasonably stiff as you swing it out from its closed position).
The bottom line now seems to be that the problem certainly exists with my E-5, but not necessarily anybody else's!
Today I visited Park Cameras (where I purchased the E-5) and checked out the LCD/hinge on another E-5............no problem, very firm (as per my E-30).
Consequently my E-5 is now en route to Olympus UK for repair.
Regards
Graham

paullus
29th March 2011, 04:46 PM
Hi Graham.
Sorry you are going to be without your camera. I hope it is repaired and returned to you quickly.
Did the problem suddenly develope or is it something that occurred due to handling and use?
Regards,
Steve

graham_jester
29th March 2011, 05:42 PM
Hi Steve
As opposed to the problem 'suddenly developing', it was more a case of me 'suddenly noticing it'.
I don't believe it was due to handling or use...........admittedly during the last two weeks the camera was used daily, whilst on holiday in The Algarve, resulting in some 1,300 or so images!
Given the E-5's robust spec, this sort of use is nothing really, is it?
I pride myself on being very careful and very protective in the use of my camera (painfully so, according to my wife and family!).
Whilst there, it was equipped with the 14-54 mm II lens and lived the whole time in a Lowepro Toploader Pro 65 AW bag.
My use of the LCD was limited to its rotation from closed position out to the left side of the camera...........I never even ever rotated it back to 'closed' position, but facing outwards.
It'll be interesting to see what Olympus has to say.
Regards
Graham

paullus
30th March 2011, 07:19 AM
Hi Graham.
That is interesting and sounds remarkably familiar.
I spent a week in Poland recently with my E5 with 14-54 MKII fitted for the entire time and took nearly 1200 shots. However due to to airline weight restrictions influencing my choice of camera kit and other practicalities I carried my camera inside a rucksack when not in use. Therefore every time I'd finished with it I returned the LCD to the closed position for protection. I've carefully checked my LCD and It's no different to how it was when I bought it.
It has been suggested that I'm over-protective of my kit too:)