PDA

View Full Version : Olympus price rise

Haisbro
26th March 2008, 06:42 AM
This was on the AP site and taken from a letter to dealers

Olympus's marketing general manager Mark Thackara states: 'As you probably know, the Pound has depreciated significantly against the Euro in recent months.

'Whilst we are working hard at minimising the impact on mainline product, adverse currency movement will affect all imaging and audio accessories including DSLR lenses and flashguns which are expected to rise by around 15%.'

Thackara advises dealers to stock up on 'key accessories' before the rises take effect on 1 April.

For your information.

David

knikki
26th March 2008, 12:11 PM
Rats I knew I should have got that 50-200 SWD lens. Wonder if that effects all the other manufactures as well?

Haisbro
26th March 2008, 12:15 PM
You have until 1st April to buy!

David

j.baker
26th March 2008, 12:23 PM
With this rise, its is yet another reason to purchase out side of the uk.

Ian Kerr will be getting more of my business.

andym
26th March 2008, 12:41 PM
Looking at the date are you sure we are not fools.

Invicta
26th March 2008, 06:15 PM
Seems an odd approach for Oly to take...

1) The World economy appears to be heading for a recession. Price increases are not the thing to do in such macro economic conditions.

2) Why are only lenses and flashguns affected? If cameras are not affected why not apply the same rules to lenses as well?

3 Price increases will reduce sales and the pull-though from accessoris and lenes that Oly are surely banking on from the release of the new E-series cameras.

TakeToTheHills
26th March 2008, 10:21 PM
I Google'd pound dollar forecast and got the attached graph.
The pound is heading down ... and fast from $2 now to $1.45 by June !! ( if this is to be believed ). :eek:
So time is even running out for importing from the states.

Invicta
26th March 2008, 11:44 PM
I Google'd pound dollar forecast and got the attached graph.
The pound is heading down ... and fast from $2 now to $1.45 by June !! ( if this is to be believed ). :eek:
So time is even running out for importing from the states.

Interesting, I wonder what factors they are predicting to drive the dollar up? Are they assuming UK interest rate cuts are on the way?

BigD
27th March 2008, 11:15 PM
15% :( dam its going to be even more of a struggle to get better lenses .

Cicak
1st April 2008, 11:35 PM
How much is the ZD ED 50-200 SWD or the ZD ED 70-300 over there in Great Brittain?:D Just wondering...;)

j.baker
2nd April 2008, 06:31 AM
If the person that I am ordering it from delivers it, I am paying about 615. 50200mm SWD

You can pick up the 70-300mm from 260-300.

Nick Temple-Fry
2nd April 2008, 10:15 AM
The Fiscal year for Olympus ended 31 March.

Sales companies are set targets for both volumes and achieved margin.

If you drive sales into a year (for example by threatening price rises) your volume goes up for that year, the bigger your sales the better your position in the company hierarchy (and for Japanese companies it is very important as your position in the hierarchy defines such things as seating in General Meetings etc).

Price rises at the beginning of a financial year give an excellent opportunity for discounting/promotions later in the year.

Cynical

Nick

Cicak
3rd April 2008, 01:05 AM
If the person that I am ordering it from delivers it, I am paying about 615. 50200mm SWD

Wow thanks for the info... we pay RM1300 = 180-200 for the 70-300

and RM3500 = 530-550 for the 50-200SWD ... a little cheaper here

conversion rate 1=RM6.5

Haisbro
3rd April 2008, 05:35 AM
Wow thanks for the info... we pay RM1300 = 180-200 for the 70-300

and RM3500 = 530-550 for the 50-200SWD ... a little cheaper here

conversion rate 1=RM6.5

How much is the Zuiko 150 f2?

David

RogerMac
3rd April 2008, 05:53 AM

I recently paid 245 including postage for my 70-300

j.baker
3rd April 2008, 08:07 AM
Nice price RogerMac. Where did you get it from?

I have a suggesten, if the moderators dont mind (more like olympus).

Can we start a thread will the current best prices that members have seen or paid on specific lenses. As this is meant to be a UK forum, we have limit it only sterling.

I think that it would help us all get the best deals.

RogerMac
3rd April 2008, 08:24 AM
Nice price RogerMac. Where did you get it from?

I have a suggesten, if the moderators dont mind (more like olympus).

Can we start a thread will the current best prices that members have seen or paid on specific lenses. As this is meant to be a UK forum, we have limit it only sterling.

I think that it would help us all get the best deals.

Dixons via a link posted in the AP forum by Bone_idle (who I believe is also a member of this forum), they seem to regularily go out of stock and you need a discount code to get this bargain

"£249 +£5 p&p but use myvc10 to get £10 off. "

Update - they often have it at a higher price, and sometimes at two different prices so you should keep checking back

Cicak
3rd April 2008, 11:44 PM
How much is the Zuiko 150 f2?

David

Hi David,

i have never checked the ZD 150 f/2 before. my estimate is rm7500-8000=£1150-1230.

but i do know the ZD 90-250 f/2.8 is about £2600-2700 over here. Well if you have friends over here or happen to be in the region, you could always get it here if its cheaper and worth the hassle.:) Another forummer ( in this forum ) Compmac went over to the UK (Christmas last year) and bought a bunch of Sandisk Extreme III CF cards for members in M'sia. they were selling 40%-50% cheaper than what we could get here. definitely worth the hassle:D

i brought in 4 pieces of ZD50-200SWD in Jan 2008 from Japan costing about RM3500 = £530-550 inclusive of shipping and fees. Other four third lenses brought in from Japan was the Leica 14-150, ZD50,ZD12-60,ZD70-300,EC-20 and others accesories that we cant get over here(out of stock or not brought in) or not launched over here yet.

one of the benefits of having friends in a forum:help each other to buy stuff at bargain prices:D

Haisbro
4th April 2008, 06:27 AM
The reason i ask was when i travel to Australia i use Malaysian airlines and stopover enroute. I will keep in touch and post here when travelling. Should be around Xmas this year. Shopping that has mutual savings benefit seems like a good idea.:D

David

Cicak
4th April 2008, 09:10 AM
The reason i ask was when i travel to Australia i use Malaysian airlines and stopover enroute. I will keep in touch and post here when travelling. Should be around Xmas this year. Shopping that has mutual savings benefit seems like a good idea.:D

David

Hi David i will be glad to help you out when you travel to Malaysia. PM me the lense or lenses you are interested in and and will let you know where you can get the best prices and the stock situation.

Passing through...maybe we can meet for a cup of "teh tarik" (tea) and you can meet all the Olympus users in our group..... about 90-100 of us here in Kuala Lumpur registered in our local forum...about 10-15 of us meet quite regularly for a drink or two ( tea that is:D) We can always show you the Malaysian hospitality*chr

cheers:)

CompMac
4th April 2008, 09:54 AM
Besides that, I can always offer myself as a courier to UK when I have assignments there. My destination in UK will be Havant, Hayling Island and Portsmouth areas. :D

jmoh
5th April 2008, 07:16 AM
Hai Guy's,
Nice Work cicak and comMac!.........That's The Malaysian spirit and Hospitality!!!.......*chr*chr*chr.......Keep It Up Buddy's!........James.

Cicak
6th April 2008, 11:40 PM
Besides that, I can always offer myself as a courier to UK when I have assignments there. My destination in UK will be Havant, Hayling Island and Portsmouth areas. :D

Hi Compmac... you complete me*chr hahaha*laugh...i am getting goosebumps all over:D

Hai Guy's,
Nice Work cicak and comMac!.........That's The Malaysian spirit and Hospitality!!!.......*chr*chr*chr.......Keep It Up Buddy's!........James.

Thanks James...