PDA

View Full Version : IS question

CallaWolf
24th March 2011, 01:20 PM
This has been nagging at me so I'm going to ask, even if it ends up being a 'silly question'

How intuitive is IS?

If I've got the camera set to IS1 (50mm) and I zoom to 200mm to take the next shot, does IS know (assuming I'm using a Zuiko Digital lens)?

I know I have to set the focal length for manual lenses.

Bikie John
24th March 2011, 01:57 PM
I think that the specified focal length is only there (and only used) when you have a lens attached which doesn't tell the camera anything about itself. Typically this will be if you have an old manual lens on an adapter so there is no electronic coupling at all - it can't work out the focal length so you have to tell it.

If you are using a Zuiko digital lens, or other compatible model, the camera will work it all out for itself so yes, it should be "intuitive".

Of course I could be wrong, which might explain why I have never found that IS actually improves things :confused:

Ciao ... John

CallaWolf
24th March 2011, 02:06 PM
...which might explain why I have never found that IS actually improves things :confused: ...

LOL - my precise reason for asking... I often turn IS off, but on those occasions I've left it on (when the shutter speed drops below my current focal length), I wonder at the results, which are often hit and miss...and are all too often on the soft side.