PDA

View Full Version : LCD Development

David Morison
21st March 2011, 11:38 AM
I had the pleasure of owning a Leica Digilux 2 for a few years and was always happy with the performance of the LCD screen as it actually seemed to reflect bright light to enhance the image. Since then I have owned a Panasonic DMC FZ30 and several E-system DSLRs as well as two compacts all of which are dismal in bright light. What happened to the Leica technology? Is it still used on their digital cameras and why don't Panasonic or Olympus have a similar technology or are we going backwards?

David

Ian
21st March 2011, 12:57 PM
I had the pleasure of owning a Leica Digilux 2 for a few years and was always happy with the performance of the LCD screen as it actually seemed to reflect bright light to enhance the image. Since then I have owned a Panasonic DMC FZ30 and several E-system DSLRs as well as two compacts all of which are dismal in bright light. What happened to the Leica technology? Is it still used on their digital cameras and why don't Panasonic or Olympus have a similar technology or are we going backwards?

David

The Leica Digilux 2 was entirely designed and manufactured by Panasonic Lumix at its Fukushima factory. The LCD screen used was almost certainly a Panasonic part.

Ian