PDA

View Full Version : E-PL1 twin lens package

weecountyman
18th March 2011, 12:00 PM
I bought the E-PL1 with 4/3 micro 14-42 lens recently - after considering the twins lens package which looked a good deal.

Until I sussed out that the 40-150 lens supplied is NOT the new 4/3 micro fit model, it's the existing 4/3 fit plus an adaptor.

Bit of a con trick by Olympus in my opinion - they appear to be punting stock of the older lens in these packages just as the new model is phased in - very naughty.

I have the standard 4/3 40-150, which came with the E400 twin lens deal a few years ago, so I'm glad I spotted this issue in advance of ordering.

Some dealers make this clear in their product description, but not all.

One retailer I called wasn't even aware the lenses had different fits.

If you are considering a package please double check the spec of the lenses.

Nick Temple-Fry
18th March 2011, 12:07 PM
Well the kits have been around for far longer than the new lens, and you do get an mmf-2 which would otherwise cost you 100.

Dont think it can be really regarded as as a 'trick', merely an overlap between offerrings.

Good advice to check the specifications of anything you buy.

Nick

Ian
18th March 2011, 01:25 PM
That's a coincidence - I have just come off the phone from a mate who has an E-PL1 and he actually wants the adapter and older 40-150 instead of the new one :)

Ian

drmarkf
18th March 2011, 10:33 PM
Having got both 40-150s, I'd say the m4/3 model feels relatively plastic & flimsy, although the tiny size and low weight is attractive. I do wonder how long its going to last...

Optically they're both better performers than you might expect.

weecountyman
19th March 2011, 10:05 AM
Nick - there must be a lot of people like me (with a modest and basic knowledge of camera equipment) interested in the twin lens deal who would make the reasonable assumption that both lenses were the new m4/3 fit.

If Olympus had been transparent "up front" then fair enough - it was only the small print in the detailed specification that alerted me.

Some dealers have split the kit up, selling the body + m4/3 14-42 .... then offering the other items as separate deals, that's how I picked up the MMF-2 at a decent price.

The cynic in me suspects Olympus were just looking to punt the older lens as the new version comes on the market.

Different folks have varying opinions.

Ray Shotter
19th March 2011, 11:10 AM
Well the kits have been around for far longer than the new lens, and you do get an mmf-2 which would otherwise cost you 100.

Good advice to check the specifications of anything you buy.

Nick

I did just that when looking for a long telphoto lens for my E-P2. I think you will find that the 40-150 mm lena with the MMF-2 attached is a permanent attachment and the MMF-2 can't be removed ! I also thought it was a good bargain until I was informed of that fact.

Ray.

Nick Temple-Fry
19th March 2011, 02:27 PM
I did just that when looking for a long telphoto lens for my E-P2. I think you will find that the 40-150 mm lena with the MMF-2 attached is a permanent attachment and the MMF-2 can't be removed ! I also thought it was a good bargain until I was informed of that fact.

Ray.

Well it wasn't permanent on mine when I bought the twin lens kit with the E-PL1 last year. I doubt if it will have been made permanent since.

I stick by my previous point that this is a case of overlapping offerrings.

Nick

Ray Shotter
20th March 2011, 01:43 PM
Well it wasn't permanent on mine when I bought the twin lens kit with the E-PL1 last year. I doubt if it will have been made permanent since.

I stick by my previous point that this is a case of overlapping offerrings.

Nick

Nick,

I wish this matter had been discussed earlier because I was keen to buy the combined 40-150mm lens with MMF-2 adapter from Camerabox as they were advertising this combination at what I thought was a good price. I sent them an e-mail to check whether the MMF-2 was detachable since I wanted the MMF-2 as much as the 40-150mm lens. Their reply to my e-mail was - "No! the MMF-2 is permanently attached". So either the person who replied to my e-mail didn't know what he was talking about or both he and I were misinformed. Consequently, I eventually bought a M.Zuiko 14-150mm lens and an MMF-2 from Ian Kerr. Nevertheless, I agree with your comments about overlapping offerings and it would help if the sales literature were more expansive. In my experience it is not always practical to find out all the details I wish to know in local photographic shops in this part of the country.

Ray.

Ray Shotter
20th March 2011, 02:28 PM
Nick,

I wish this matter had been discussed earlier because I was keen to buy the combined 40-150mm lens with MMF-2 adapter from Camerabox as they were advertising this combination at what I thought was a good price. I sent them an e-mail to check whether the MMF-2 was detachable since I wanted the MMF-2 as much as the 40-150mm lens. Their reply to my e-mail was - "No! the MMF-2 is permanently attached". So either the person who replied to my e-mail didn't know what he was talking about or both he and I were misinformed. Consequently, I eventually bought a M.Zuiko 14-150mm lens and an MMF-2 from Ian Kerr. Nevertheless, I agree with your comments about overlapping offerings and it would help if the sales literature were more expansive. In my experience it is not always practical to find out all the details I wish to know in local photographic shops in this part of the country.

Ray.

Please note: I have amended the above message because I did not e-mail SRS MicroSystems but Camerabox. You will see from their current web-site that they now emphasise that the MMF-2 is a permanent attachment to the 40-150mm lens they are selling. I apologise To SRS Microsystems for my poor memory.

Ray.