PDA

View Full Version : Which Focus Mode?

Seonnaidh
17th March 2011, 07:26 PM
This afternoon I spent a wee while photographing seagulls while waiting for a friend.
Got home and all of the images of gulls in flight were 'soft'.
Now I know my 70-300 is capable of producing pin sharp results. So what am I doing wrong?
The camera was set to max aperture in aperture priority mode, continuous auto focus and ISO 200. I had image stabilisation at level IS 1 .
Any advice or tips please?
I am sure the aperture is not to blame as the whole of the image is soft.

PeterBirder
17th March 2011, 10:32 PM
I think IS may be the problem. If you are shooting birds in flight and using CAF presumably you have to pan to keep the bird in shot. The IS can't tell the difference between panning and shake and will be trying to cancel out the effect of any camera movement. Try shooting with IS off.

Regards

David Morison
17th March 2011, 10:42 PM
Yes, there has been much talk on another thread about problems of IS with the E5. I must admit that for most of my bird shots I now have IS off, unless the shutter speed is on the slow side. Mind you my 300mm is f2.8 which gives me a bit more latitude but even using a teleconverter I still have IS off. In flight shots are a real skill that I have still to gain and I sometimes wonder how some of those we see published are achieved.

David

Zuiko
17th March 2011, 11:41 PM
Panning with IS on is possible but it should be set to IS2. The diamond pattern focus point works well with the E-3 and CAF. For some reason it can sometimes focus better with the high frame rate limited to 4fps rather than 5fps. :)

Seonnaidh
18th March 2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the info lads. Seems pretty bl**dy obvious when you sit down and think it through.
Going to put it all in practice this afternoon..... if the torrential downpour ever stops.