PDA

View Full Version : Velbon Sherpa 600R tripod?

Scapula Memory
24th March 2008, 03:50 PM
Anyone have this tripod or know about it? Seen this at a very good price with the PH 157Q head and looks like it will fit the criteria but just thought I would ask in case someone knows something I should...*eyebrows

OlyFlyer
24th March 2008, 07:12 PM
I have it. It is a nice, stable tripod but I don't really like the head. I would like a more traditional one with a spirit level and two separate locking screws, one for horizontal, one for vertical movements. I would also like a fixed screw for the camera, not the quick release. Anyway, it is a priceworthy, very versatile tripod, you can reverse the tripod head and lowering the camera to ground level, which was one reason in my decision when I was looking for a new tripod about two years ago. It came with a bag, which is good to have if one uses it outdoors as well. I rarely take it out of my home.

R MacE
24th March 2008, 09:22 PM
I did have one, I couldn't fault the tripod but like Olyflyer I didn't like the head with one lever to lock. I actually changed to a Slik head.

Scapula Memory
24th March 2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the info, will bear that in mind about the head and maybe upgrade it later. It has to be better than the rickety thing I have now!

OlyFlyer
25th March 2008, 01:57 PM
It is a very good tripod. I am happy with it. I am also thinking of changing the head, but it is not a big deal for me, so no hurry. It's very stable, even with my Olympus bellows. It can be extended to a comfortable height and still keeps its stability.

yorky
25th March 2008, 03:05 PM
If you do any nat. history and need a very versitile ttripod, try a Benbo trecker, they will go down to any height any where.

Jim Ford
25th March 2008, 05:46 PM
If you do any nat. history and need a very versitile ttripod, try a Benbo trecker, they will go down to any height any where.

Similar with the Uni-Loc tripods. The system Uni-Locs also have a 180 degree joint near the end of the centre column to enable it to be cranked. You can also remove a leg and the centre column to make a bipod. Here's a series of photos showing its versatility.

http://photography.stroller.uk.eu.org/Uni-Loc/

The 1700 is a lighter version of the 1600.

Jim

steverh
25th March 2008, 06:39 PM
I have the Velbon Sherpa 450R, which I guess is its little brother. It's nicely made with tubular legs and good quick-release catches. It extends in total to about 6 feet.

It has the same head as the 600R, which is OK for light-duty use. I'd probably put a ball head if I was using big lenses on it.

Also it comes with a neat and very useful carrying case.

I have an old Benbo which I use for heavy-duty work!

HTH

OlyFlyer
25th March 2008, 09:13 PM
If you do any nat. history and need a very versitile ttripod, try a Benbo trecker, they will go down to any height any where. Yes, but most of the ones I have seen can not go up to the height I also want. For many years, I had a tripod which could only extend to 160 cm, which has always been too short for me. For portraits is enough, but not for most other stuff I do. Also, the Velbon is really stable, three sections. Quite many others I have seen are four sections, which are normally less stable. The Velbon is I think a very priceworthy alternative, not too heavy (but not light), it comes with a protective bag and can be used from 0 cm (reversed head) to (I think) 177 cm. There are of course better ones, but usually at a price.

Scapula Memory
25th March 2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks again to all, interesting info. So much choice out there one can easily get bamboozled by it all. :)

Ellie
28th March 2008, 01:52 AM
I've got the Sherpa Pro 631EL, and love it! I bought it second hand from auction. I spent ages working out exactly which one I wanted and then had to wait ages and ages for one to come up for sale.

It doesn't seem to be on the Velbon site any more here (http://www.velbon-tripod.com/specifications.htm)

I'm 5ft 8 and without the centre column extended it easily brings my camera up to eye level, which makes it more stable. It also means I don't have to have the bottom section of the centre column with me when I go out for a long walk.

The tripod is three section with fliplocks, it's a grounder and the centre column is reversible too.

Because I'd had to wait so long for the tripod to appear for sale I'd managed to save up for a Gitzo offset ball head - G1276M (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=13903), which is brilliant. There's a bigger one that'll take more weight if you need it. One of the things I liked about the head is the lock, there's no way it can be released accidentally, won't catch in clothing but can be released with very cold fingers.

I haven't got a carrying case because I knew I'd rarely use it, I've got an Opticron strap which I found for 25p in a junk shop - they didn't know what it was :D

Scapula Memory
28th March 2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks Ellie,

The tripod turned up today ( with my E1 grip as well ) and a quick look at it re-affirms what Olyflyer said about it. Tripod is well mad, solid and good quality and the head seems functional enough for what I need. Followed your link but cannot see me splashing out 124 on a head when I keep having dreams about an E3 *cameraicon All in all an improvement over what I had and no complaints for 59 where everywhere else it was 79

OlyFlyer
28th March 2008, 07:50 PM
59 is a good price for it. I paid about 80 (Swedish shop price) for it. It is stable even with the E-3 + Olympus original, heavy bellows with a lens as well. I hope you will be happy with it until you can motivate the costs of a better one.

Ellie
3rd April 2008, 10:23 PM
Hi John :)

I didn't pay that much for it either, I haggled :D P'raps I should say I 'negotiated' the price downwards quite a bit. I save up for it for a very long time though, because the first time I saw that particular head I knew it was exactly the right one for me. I thought it would probably last me for ever too. The tripod was seriously cheap, I um, negotiated that price too after the seller failed to get any offers at auction. http://www.smilies-online.de/img/sm/Engel/sm1_051.gif

I'm sure you'll enjoy using your lovely new tripod as much as I enjoy using mine *chr