PDA

View Full Version : E 5 review

sapper
12th March 2011, 12:18 PM
A good review in Outdoor Photography this month, April.

Benedict
12th March 2011, 01:17 PM
A good review ... but not much good if you can't get hold of an E5 it seems

Danny
12th March 2011, 01:35 PM
A good review ... but not much good if you can't get hold of an E5 it seems

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago, got it within 3 days. They are there if you look for them.

sapper
12th March 2011, 01:39 PM
I got mine from Kerso, waited a couple of weeks.

Shaw
12th March 2011, 03:16 PM
Amazon (UK) website say they have one in stock.

Benedict
12th March 2011, 06:00 PM
I have no intention of buying an E5,not at 1,500 - particularly when Olympus have given no clear indication as to where they are going,and the rumour mongers aside.

For now I am enjoying the E30 but when the time comes my next camera will be a Nikon - unless Oly start thinking about their customers a little bit more.

Sorry guys but my money like yours comes from hard work - I have no intention in frittering it away on what may eventually turn out to be a legacy system,albeit a good one.

Greytop
12th March 2011, 10:30 PM
The grass is not always greener, it may be more than just a different shade of....

Depends on your priorities I guess but I've been there done that and ended coming back to Olympus ;)

Zuiko
12th March 2011, 10:44 PM
I have no intention of buying an E5,not at 1,500 - particularly when Olympus have given no clear indication as to where they are going,and the rumour mongers aside.

For now I am enjoying the E30 but when the time comes my next camera will be a Nikon - unless Oly start thinking about their customers a little bit more.

Sorry guys but my money like yours comes from hard work - I have no intention in frittering it away on what may eventually turn out to be a legacy system,albeit a good one.

Well, if you've no intention of buying an E-5 why are you complaining that they are not available? :rolleyes:

I've no intention of buying a Ferrari and I neither know nor care whether or not they are available! :D

Zuiko
12th March 2011, 10:52 PM
A good review in Outdoor Photography this month, April.

I like Outdoor Photography reviews because they are conducted in the field in real life situations by a real photographer, rather than in a lab by a journalist technician. Didn't know the April edition was out yet, you must have it on subscription, but I'll look forward to reading it. :)

David M
13th March 2011, 01:11 AM
I've no intention of buying a Ferrari and I neither know nor care whether or not they are available! :D

I've no intention of buying a Ferrari either and I'm going to hold my breath until I don't buy one. :eek:

Benedict
13th March 2011, 10:53 AM
Well, if you've no intention of buying an E-5 why are you complaining that they are not available? :rolleyes::D

I was making the oint that What is now the flagship camera for Olympus is not readily available. In fact within a 60 mile radius not one retailer stocks one let alone Oly kit. I take Zuilo comments regarding the Ferrari as a tongue in cheek remark ..... You normally order a Ferrari to order,with a price tag to match!

As for the grass always being greener ..... well I would be prepared to put up with some failings from another camera manufacturer,as long as they had a clear vision of where they were going with their systems,unlike Olympus appear to be at the moment.

I will continue to enjoy my E30 but I wouldn't have the slightest problem with jumping ship, and neither would others as seen from recent posts here on the forum.

David Morison
13th March 2011, 11:50 AM
I have said it before and I'll say it again. I am with Olympus for the reason that no other marque can offer me what I need and I am happy to spend the money for the flagship in their range, however hard earned it was. My choice is not about where Olympus E-system is going but where I am going and until another manufacturer can offer me what Olympus does or better then I will stay where I am irrespective of other's negative feelings. It's good to read a positve report on my kit but it wouldn't alter my choice.

David

oly_om
15th March 2011, 10:50 PM
I have said it before and I'll say it again. I am with Olympus for the reason that no other marque can offer me what I need and I am happy to spend the money for the flagship in their range, however hard earned it was. My choice is not about where Olympus E-system is going but where I am going and until another manufacturer can offer me what Olympus does or better then I will stay where I am irrespective of other's negative feelings. It's good to read a positve report on my kit but it wouldn't alter my choice.

David

My partner, with a 5DmkII was wondering today about playing with large format cameras again. She was lamenting that the amazing detail just wasn't there with current DSLRs - but interestingly said that the E-5 with the SHG glass was the closest she'd seen to it! An interesting observation from somebody with the top resolution Canon body (it *just* outresolves the 1DsMkIII)

If you shoot at or below ISO 800, there isn't much out there to beat it for IQ.

David M
15th March 2011, 11:25 PM
My partner, with a 5DmkII was wondering today about playing with large format cameras again. She was lamenting that the amazing detail just wasn't there with current DSLRs

The problem with large format is you've either got to use an expensive digital back or get the detail off a piece of film.

Still holding my breath...

shenstone
16th March 2011, 12:07 AM
I've no intention of buying a Ferrari either and I'm going to hold my breath until I don't buy one. :eek:

Me Neither and just like camera's I'm willing to give any one a chance at a competition .. I just get to chose the road (or lack of it) I can outrun a Ferrari in my Suzuki or Landrover in the right conditions and in the Moroccan desert all the other makes put their cameras away in the sandstorms

I still belive Oly markeing people all need to be fired !

shenstone
16th March 2011, 12:10 AM
My partner, with a 5DmkII was wondering today about playing with large format cameras again. She was lamenting that the amazing detail just wasn't there with current DSLRs - but interestingly said that the E-5 with the SHG glass was the closest she'd seen to it! An interesting observation from somebody with the top resolution Canon body (it *just* outresolves the 1DsMkIII)

If you shoot at or below ISO 800, there isn't much out there to beat it for IQ.

I know a Pro/publisher who dumped his 1Ds for 5D Mk II's on the basis is was the 1st Canon he didn't have to spend 30 minutes on each picture de-dusting it.

He publishes quite a few of my pictures in his magazine and those are from E-500, 510 and 30

regards
Andy

Zuiko
16th March 2011, 01:02 AM
I know a Pro/publisher who dumped his 1Ds for 5D Mk II's on the basis is was the 1st Canon he didn't have to spend 30 minutes on each picture de-dusting it.

Andy

Sounds just like scanning slides. So I guess that using Canon DSLRs does give an authentic film-like experience! :D

Zuiko
16th March 2011, 01:07 AM
I must admit that if I had the money I'd buy an E-5 now while it's still available (seems that it is available if you search hard enough) rather than hold back because it might not be available in the future. My biggest worry is that they stop making it before I can afford one! :eek:

Danny
16th March 2011, 08:44 AM
I must admit that if I had the money I'd buy an E-5 now while it's still available (seems that it is available if you search hard enough) rather than hold back because it might not be available in the future. My biggest worry is that they stop making it before I can afford one! :eek:

Just do it!!! I did, and its the best freaking thing I did for my photography :)

David Morison
16th March 2011, 08:55 AM
I wonder if any Japanese manufacturer is going in any direction for the foreseeable future, so who knows - canikon could become as rare as an E5!

From "Enticing the Light":

http://enticingthelight.com/2011/03/15/camera-makers-to-close-factories-indefinitely-after-earthquake-in-japan/

David

Ian
16th March 2011, 09:18 AM
Just a repeat of what I said in a different thread, the most recent news I have on E-5s is that they are expected again at the end of next month. They are assembled in China, but I do hope the recent quake in Japan will not affect the supply of parts.

Ian