PDA

View Full Version : Off to Poland.

paullus
11th March 2011, 11:05 AM
I'm just waiting to leave for the airport for a weeks holiday in Krakow.
What a job trying to select which camera kit I was going to take. We're flying with Ryanair who are notoriously strict on their baggage weight allowance. Unfortunately my wife has intervened in the process and insisted on me taking some clothes and shoes.:confused:
I really wanted to take the 50-200 but I simply can't without exceeding the weight limit.
So I've had to settle for E5, 14-54 and 70-300, no 50-200, no tripod, no monopod, no flash gun or anything!
I really can't see the point in going;)

Falk
11th March 2011, 11:55 AM
Hey! You have a luxury problem, isn't it!?
Compared to myself you still have an E-5 advantage (over my E-30), going with the same lenses! However, I think I would be able to fit the monopod somewhere inbetween the lipsticks, shoes and else gimmicks :D

Have a nice trip and enjoy the low weight *chr

theMusicMan
11th March 2011, 01:13 PM
Should have taken the 50-200 and put it in your coat pocket.

cinders
11th March 2011, 04:02 PM
Yes, tuck anything you can into pockets!

Shaw
11th March 2011, 06:53 PM
As has been said before - with Ryanair put as much in your pockets as you can!

jamie allan
11th March 2011, 10:02 PM
Try this
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/travel/article.html?in_article_id=508371&in_page_id=1093

paullus
20th March 2011, 08:08 PM
Try this
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/bargains-and-rip-offs/travel/article.html?in_article_id=508371&in_page_id=1093

Hi jamie allan. That link is brilliant! We did in fact wear most of our inclement weather gear, walking boots, fleeces and waterproof jackets when boarding the plane.

Without going too deeply into the details of our holiday in Krakow but to put it in a nutshell, it was fantastic! In the end after all the fuss I only used the 14-54 to take over 1100 shots.
We thoroughly explored Krakow but I have to admit that one of the main reasons I took my long suffering wife there was to visit Auschwitz I and Auschwitz Birkenau. We actually ended up going twice, as if once wasn't enough but the first time we went on an organised trip and time was severely limited. We went on our own by bus the second time which cost a tenth of the cost of the organised tour. Once again the weatherproofing of the E5 was an absolute boon. The weather on our second visit was dreadful with torrential rain and temperatures falling to around 5C which was in complete contrast to the first time with sunshine and 19C. Anyway I was able to ignore the weather and keep taking pictures when everyone else couldn't. In a way the dreadful conditions added a greater sense of poignancy to the remains of that hell-hole on Earth.
I have to add that of the dozens of other cameras I did see, strangely I didn't notice one single Oly the whole time I was away.
Anyway Krakow and the Polish people we met were a complete and very pleasant surprise and we will be going back. If anyone wants more information on the other places we visited PM me and I'll oblige if I can.