PDA

View Full Version : 47 minutes to update E-5

Barr1e
5th March 2011, 08:36 PM
Thank goodness we all use a fully charged battery when updating.

I had read somewhere it should take approximately five to seven minutes. Imagine my thoughts when twenty minutes had past. I was using the stand alone 'Olympus Digital Camera Updater' for the first time. In the past updating camera or lens with Studio presented no problems.

After thirty five minutes of downloading I had a small twinge of panic, this was controlled though by the thought the led kept flashing away on the modem. The screen remained unlit through the whole process until two minutes from finishing the familiar two circles appeared on the screen and said wait until OK appeared. All is well. :D

I'm not sure if the site was busy or my internet speed was slow this evening.

The reason for this post is not to panic if faced with something similar.

Regards. Barr1e

David Morison
5th March 2011, 09:00 PM
Yes, well I didn't time it but although I had put in a fresh battery I did have a little panic that it might have crashed or something and would cause all sorts of issues. So I went away for a glass of red and came back about 45 minutes later (OK I'm a slow drinker!) and it was all done. Phew!

David

Bikie John
5th March 2011, 09:07 PM
I didn't time it, but it certainly seemed slow. It looked as if it was during the download phase, because the monitor display just said installing and the camera display didn't show anything. I was wondering if anything was happening - was preparing to kill the internet connection if it went on much longer, when all of a sudden it sprang to life and finished normally.

I REALLY wish Oly would let us do it by downloading to a memory card rather than requiring the camera to be "online".

Ciao ... Upgraded John

Shaw
5th March 2011, 10:38 PM
My update was very slow as well, and panic was beginning to set in, hoping that my broadband connection would not fail, but eventually everything was OK.

andym
5th March 2011, 10:43 PM
And all for an update that is supposed to cure a problem that no one has noticed.

Don't think I'll bother,not worth the heartache.*yes*yes*yes

David Gethin
5th March 2011, 10:48 PM
Is there an online tutorial for how to update your camera(s)? [In my case an E-30/E-520]

Thanks

Barr1e
6th March 2011, 11:15 AM
Is there an online tutorial for how to update your camera(s)? [In my case an E-30/E-520]

Thanks

This is for the EP-1. It may be of some help.

Remember don't unplug until the OK symbol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLV0EQUvQYk

Regards. Barr1e

yorky
6th March 2011, 01:49 PM
I think it was about 5 minutes which seemed a long time: the moral is read the instructions It usually says ensure you battery is fully charged somewhere.

j.baker
6th March 2011, 02:56 PM
My update tool a very long time. My firewall (juniper) reported that it was too big for its anti-virus scanner to scan (10MB+) I did do the update. I have not noticed anythinkg different.

It also appeared that BT changed my ADSL profile from a 7-8Mb connection to a 2Mb so this added to my slow download.

graham_jester
6th March 2011, 03:32 PM
Having just upgraded my E-5 to Firmware v 1.1 and Olympus Viewer 2 to v 1.11, I can report that the 'red tint' problem I highlighted on this website last December ('E-5 JPEG versus RAW Colours), has been resolved; ie there is now no 'red tint' evident in images viewed using Adobe RGB colour space.
Indeed image colours now look the same when viewed with either sRGB or Adobe RGB.
Regards
Graham

Bikie John
6th March 2011, 04:58 PM
Having just upgraded my E-5 to Firmware v 1.1 and Olympus Viewer 2 to v 1.11, I can report that the 'red tint' problem I highlighted on this website last December ('E-5 JPEG versus RAW Colours), has been resolved; ie there is now no 'red tint' evident in images viewed using Adobe RGB colour space.
Indeed image colours now look the same when viewed with either sRGB or Adobe RGB.
Regards
Graham

Thanks Graham, it's nice to know that the upgrade has done something useful after all.

Ciao ... John

Ian
7th March 2011, 10:24 AM
I think it did take a bit longer than usual, but not more than 7-8 minutes.

The camera is not consuming much current during an update as the sensor is not active. The most critical stage is when the flash memory is being written to and thankfully this only takes a few seconds.

Ian

Melaka
7th March 2011, 03:34 PM
3-4 minutes for mine, which I reckon is about the norm.

paullus
11th March 2011, 10:44 AM
Hi all.
I updated the firmware to 1.1 recently but had a problem doing it through Olympus Master 2.
OM 2 would not detect my camera at all despite it appearing in "My Computer".
I ended up using the Olympus Digital Camera Updater after finding a link to the Olympus site that worked and allowed me to download the app. and not some text file??
I was then able to use ib which came bundled with the E5 to update the firmware. I had a horrifying few minutes wait looking at a blank LCD after the installer had warned me not to turn the camera off etc. before anything happened. I must admit I thought I'd bricked my camera and was getting really anxious when after about 5 minutes the update started and completed relatively quickly then.
I must agree that the online update Oly insist on, seems fraught with danger. I'd much sooner download the update first and upload it to my camera without having to worry about server speeds, dropped connections or power cuts.

DerekW
17th March 2011, 08:33 PM
I have just updated the E5 in about 3 minutes using the Olympus Digital Camera Updater on a Mac. I guess the rush to update is now over and the demand on the server is now manageable.

Bikie John
18th March 2011, 11:21 AM
I have just updated the E5 in about 3 minutes using the Olympus Digital Camera Updater on a Mac. I guess the rush to update is now over and the demand on the server is now manageable.

That's good to hear.

However, the problem is not simply that it was taking some of us a long time. The problem is that we have to sit there with the camera plugged in having read awful warnings about what will happen to it if we interrupt the process, without the process providing any feedback on what is happening. Ian has told us that during the download phase it is safe to stop it, which is just as well as all sorts of things can go wrong - connections can fail for example. But there is nothing to say when this is happening, the only feedback we have is when the display on the back of the camera lights up.

I would very much prefer to update by downloading the firmware, copying it to a memory card, putting it in the camera and switching on then pressing OK to say "yes I really do want to do this update". Many other manufacturers do this, I am more comfortable because it isolates the camera from glitches in connections and failures in the your system. If Oly are unwilling to do this, I think the interface to the update process should be improved so that it says "Downloading from server...." then comes back with a prompt along the lines of "I've got the update and checked it - are you ready to update the camera now?".

Ciao ... John

DerekW
18th March 2011, 12:11 PM
I heard a whisper some where (if I remember correctly) that Oly teckies do update firmware from the code loaded onto CF cards how and what manipulation they perform I do not know.

However I have beeen using the current method for a long time, I watch a network traffic indicator to see if data is being received.

Yorkie
18th March 2011, 04:08 PM
Mine has just taken 7 min from plugging in to completion without any issues. *chr