PDA

View Full Version : Weaning myself off the auto setting

Homer Simpson
5th March 2011, 05:34 PM
1. How do I switch off focus confirm beep - I'm deaf so it's no help to me.

2. When using the 70-300 I tend to go straight to AP but is the
Macro scene mode any good when using this lens for macro?

3. I've just been reading elsewhere on this forum a "menu of settings" of how to take decent bird photos. I assume I could pre-program these into "mymode"
I can't understand what the manual is trying to tell me - can someone decribe this to a moron please.

David Morison
5th March 2011, 06:17 PM
I am not familiar with the E510 but for point #3 you need to set all the parameters as you require and then go into the menu and to "mymode", select #1 or 2 and select "set" and then OK. This will assign all these parameters to that "mymode" setting. Then you can return everything to your usual settings for normal shooting. The "function" button can be assigned on the menu to your selected "mymode" so that when you need to use those settings all you need to do is press the "function" button while you take the shots, then releasing it returns your settings to normal.

For point #1 (on E30) - Custom Menu 1, spanner D, DISP/beep sign/PC

You can turn off the beep sound that is emitted when the focus locks by pressing the shutter
button.

David

Homer Simpson
5th March 2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks David,

It was your settings I wanted to copy*yes

stevednp3
5th March 2011, 10:23 PM
For number 2, I wouldn't use macro mode, better off using aperture mode and selecting the f stop for the depth of field you want, also use manual focus, only in manual can you get the lens to extend to 1:2 and magnify the subject further. All this will wean you off the auto setting ;)

Ellie
5th March 2011, 11:30 PM
For number 2, I wouldn't use macro mode, better off using aperture mode and selecting the f stop for the depth of field you want, ...

*yes

I almost always use Aperture Priority (A)- it seems to work better than using Shutter Priority. I've never used any of the 'mode' settings except for Portrait to see what it did, but I'm not confident enough of my eyesight to use manual focus and prefer to let the camera do it for me.

Just use the best ISO (or even set it to auto) and change the aperture using the scrolling wheel to get the fastest shutter speed and then balance things with the EV +/-. The settings will depend on the available light, but it's often best to use the widest aperture. I actually haven't a clue if you can, or need, to try to programme the camera to it for you.

Why not have a look at the EXIF data of some of the pictures on the forum and see what settings have been used. You could try copying them and see what happens, it isn't like film so won't cost you anything.

Who's_E
6th March 2011, 10:12 AM
I am an aperture priority man for the main, too.

My process is something like:

- Read the weather forecast and decide what I might get.
- Start at ISO 100 and f7.1 and adjust these as my demands change (blurred movement, frozen movement, bit of both).
- Move down the aperture range considering the depth of field I require.
- If I can't cover it with aperture widening, I start shifting the ISO upwards.
- If that doesn't provide enough shutter speed I look to try different views/approaches which don't move fast, such as plants.

Nick