PDA

View Full Version : SDHC to CF Adapter

Jim Ford
5th March 2011, 12:13 PM
I bought one of these to try on my E3. It works fine and may be of interest to anyone wanting to standardise on SDHC cards and take advantage of the cheap fast ones at 7dayshop:

http://tinyurl.com/6ygxxbz

The 7dayshop SDHC cards are here:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=109400

They also do 16Gig ones.

Jim

Melaka
18th March 2011, 06:17 PM
I ordered one and it arrived commendably quickly. Mine is very sensitive to how far you push the sd card into the adapter. Get it wrong by a whisker and there's a card error message. It fits the E3 and E620 but not the E5 which has the narrower CF card slot.

Jim Ford
20th March 2011, 09:35 PM
I ordered one and it arrived commendably quickly. Mine is very sensitive to how far you push the sd card into the adapter. Get it wrong by a whisker and there's a card error message.

I don't have that problem. The card's quite stiff to push in though.

It fits the E3 and E620 but not the E5 which has the narrower CF card slot.

The adapter's a Type II card (the thick one). I guess the E5 only has a type I slot.

Jim

Melaka
21st March 2011, 07:49 AM
Yes, mine's not easy to get the SD card in and out of. The main reason for buying it was to be able to use SD cards when I'm away. My laptop has an SD slot but the CF slot is a PCI one and that is difficult to align the CF card in. I'm now not sure which is going to be the least inconveneient.

jchallen
24th March 2011, 07:20 PM
To those using an SD to CF adapter.

How are you finding the write speed, in a highly unscientific test I found using fast SD cards (12 and 16gb class 10) via an adapter (cheap one) caused significantly slower write speeds leading to the buffer filling quicker and thus less sequence shots being available. Also once full the buffer took over twice as long to flush to memory card before being ready for the next batch of shots.

For comparison I used 8gb Sandisk extreame CF cards, one rated as 30mb/s and the other at 60mb/s. The faster card saw a marginal improvement over the slower one but SD Performance was a way below either. In fact I also tried micro SD, via an SD adapter and in turn via a CF adapter, some performed as per the SD cards others were not recognised.

The above 'tests' were measured by a friend using the stopwatch app on his iPhone and card activity light on the camera!

I would be interested to know if it was just the cheap SD to CF adapter I bought before I splash out on a brand name one.