PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the XZ-1?

Cathrine Stephansen
2nd March 2011, 10:35 PM
Has anyone here bought and tried an Olympus XZ-1 yet? I'm wondering whether it would be a good party-cam/docucam for light travel and underwater photos with the underwater housing.

Has anyone tried it and is it as good as it sounds like?

I hope the fact that I have the XA from 1980 and they now have launched the XZ doesn't mean this is Olympus' final compact as they would be out of letters to combine with "x" :D

StephenL
3rd March 2011, 09:33 AM
Barr1e's wife Ann1e has one I believe, and I think she likes it a lot.

Cathrine Stephansen
3rd March 2011, 02:47 PM
I really like the specs, especially that I can use the flashes I have (FL50) and that it shoots RAW and is more manual than the little Panasonic Lumix waterproof that I have. I'm hoping it takes better underwater pictures than the Mju. I only snorkel, don't scuba-dive, but it would be nice to get better images and shoot in RAW.

Ann1e
3rd March 2011, 11:04 PM
Hello Cathrine -

Stephen is right - I do have a XZ-1!

To be honest, although I have had it for a few weeks now, I have not used it as much as I would have liked as we have had so much dull, dreary weather locally of late. I am almost going to contradict myself here because one of the plus points I have noticed is that it seems to cope well in low light. However, when conditions are bad I am inclined to photograph with a camera I know reasonably well - in my case the E-30.

One of the main reasons I chose the camera is its size and weight. I am not good at carrying equipment too far due to back problems but I wanted a camera which could be personalised and, of course, it has a number of the 'fun' settings of other current Olympus cameras.

I have to say I cannot comment on the underwater capabilites. You certainly won't find me underwater anywhere around the British coastline! :)

Regards,
Ann1e

Cathrine Stephansen
4th March 2011, 11:14 AM
Hello Cathrine -

Stephen is right - I do have a XZ-1!

To be honest, although I have had it for a few weeks now, I have not used it as much as I would have liked as we have had so much dull, dreary weather locally of late. I am almost going to contradict myself here because one of the plus points I have noticed is that it seems to cope well in low light. However, when conditions are bad I am inclined to photograph with a camera I know reasonably well - in my case the E-30.

One of the main reasons I chose the camera is its size and weight. I am not good at carrying equipment too far due to back problems but I wanted a camera which could be personalised and, of course, it has a number of the 'fun' settings of other current Olympus cameras.

I have to say I cannot comment on the underwater capabilites. You certainly won't find me underwater anywhere around the British coastline! :)

Regards,
Ann1e

Thanks, Ann1e, we can post our experiences together! I bought the little thing yesterday, and have ordered the under-water housing.

It does have some lovely features and sure is light weight. Incidently, my 300 mm 2.8 arrived in its crate yesterday as well, I mounted it on the E5. I think possibly the E5/300mm 2.8 and the XZ-1 are at opposite ends of the weight scale in the Olympus family.

I love pocket size cameras ever since I had my first camera, the Olympus XA. I must say, though, for design beauty, no camera has ever matched the XA. The XZ-1 has great features (RAW and manual modes), and the design is nice, but purely in a practical sense. I feel a bit fumbly, until I get used to the smallness of it, being used to the E5, but it feels a lot better than the pocket sized Panasonic Lumix that I keep switching off when I mean to press the shutter... I couldn't think of a more annoying thing :D

I think I'll only bring the XZ-1 when I go to Crufts next week. Will be a good challenge to be limited to one optical range!

And having been along the British Coastline in November, I can say I wouldn't snorkel there, either :D I plan to use the XZ-1 for an intertidal documentation project, and will both be using a wet-suit or even waders, and sticking the camera under water ... Even with the Gulf stream, northern Norway is pretty cold. Now, for Galapagos and Miami, however... *chr