PDA

View Full Version : 50-200 swd 1st outing

Haisbro
23rd March 2008, 11:47 AM
Morning all, braved snow this morning to bring you some pics using E3 and 50-200 swd.

The lens is waterproof, squeamish? Look away

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=202&stc=1&d=1206272012

Value of screen on E3 low angle viewpoint ( six inches off ground)

http://e-group.uk.net/http://e-group.uk.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=204&stc=1&d=1206272757
forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=203&stc=1&d=1206272039

Robin using EC20 and through double glazed window

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=201&stc=1&d=1206272043

First thought on lens is wider than it looks in magazines. Its good to be able to manual focus using the flip out screen. The collar has been beefed up and is a lot smoother and solid. Focusing is quick and image quality seems on par with older model if not better.

Happy, oh yes:D

David

PeterD
23rd March 2008, 12:19 PM
Hi David,

That was good for an introduction. Your second link in the post did not work but saw the images at the bottom anyway. Its seeing these that told me why you shot the robin through the double glazed window. Made me cold just to see the ice on the daffs.

I am still on the fence for a telephoto upgrade. I require a fast af lens as the 70-300 is far too slow for quick reaction shots. If you miss the focus, it cycles through again which can take over a second and the opportunity is lost.

I would be interested in more photos and comments on how it performs with the EC20 converter. First shot with the Robin looks very good.

Thanks

PeterD

OlyFlyer
23rd March 2008, 12:20 PM
I know the lens is weather proof, but definitely not waterproof as you say. Anyway, I would not shower it with the lens cap on, weather proofness is only valid on camera. The lens cap has no gaskets, so I'd definitely advise against removing the lens from the camera while it is wet, or to shower the lens with the lens cap on.

Maybe I am too careful, but that's how I see it.

Haisbro
23rd March 2008, 12:27 PM
Water on lens was melted snow and wiped away easly, did not mean to say it was waterproof of course. The weather proofing on all the E series gear has been excellent and this lens seems no different. The robin shot was with ISO set to auto. On another site it suggested for bird photography to turn IS off and use a tripod as the feather detail was better this way perhaps other birders may have other comments.

David

PeterD
23rd March 2008, 12:38 PM
Water on lens was melted snow and wiped away easly, did not mean to say it was waterproof of course. The weather proofing on all the E series gear has been excellent and this lens seems no different. The robin shot was with ISO set to auto. On another site it suggested for bird photography to turn IS off and use a tripod as the feather detail was better this way perhaps other birders may have other comments.

David

From what I understand there is some truth in that argument but, with the 50 - 200SWD, the maximum aperature is far better than a lot of telephoto lens allowing a faster shutter speed. If I remember the guidance on this (again from another site), as long as you can shoot at 1/640s then it should not make any difference.

Kind regards

PeterD

alert_bri
23rd March 2008, 12:42 PM
I was hoping for much more snow down here in Sheffield... but unfortunately it hasn't settled.

How are you finding the focusing accuracy for moving targets? did you have the previous 50-200mm lens? I think the 50-200 requires a bit of practice to master.

But it's a wonderful all-weather pro-cam :
(portrait by Rich Simpson, shooting with his E-3 + 50-200)
http://www.pbase.com/bmosley/image/93419930/original.jpg

Kind Regards

Brian

theMusicMan
23rd March 2008, 12:45 PM
I was hoping for much more snow down here in Sheffield... but unfortunately it hasn't settled.

How are you finding the focusing accuracy for moving targets? did you have the previous 50-200mm lens? I think the 50-200 requires a bit of practice to master.

But it's a wonderful all-weather pro-cam :
(portrait by Rich Simpson, shooting with his E-3 + 50-200)
http://www.pbase.com/bmosley/image/93419930/original.jpg

Kind Regards

BrianNow that, I like very much - whata fantastic effect it is and Rich should be well proud of that shot. Fabulous capture and if it were me I'd be wanting to frame that one.

PS: that reminds me... must find and install a thumbs up smilie. I have one on my site so O dont think Ian will sack me if I get one installed on here :)

Graham_of_Rainham
23rd March 2008, 02:45 PM
Well done! That's the kind of image Olympus should use in advertising the E-3 system

Now all we need to see is if it can stand up to the rest of the British Spring Weather;)

andym
23rd March 2008, 02:57 PM
Well done! That's the kind of image Olympus should use in advertising the E-3 system

Now all we need to see is if it can stand up to the rest of the British Spring Weather;)

Could not agree more.Today was the first time my E3 has had a soaking along with the 12-60.Seems to have come through it ok.

CaptainD
23rd March 2008, 03:15 PM
Dear David,

Just goes to show while I was tucked up in bed dreaming of the perfect shot you were out there actually trying! Great shot of you in action, you must be without doubt the UK E-system forum member of day by a country mile.

Excellent

Chris *chr

Haisbro
23rd March 2008, 03:33 PM
Hi Chris

Olympus glass is good but as i was standing in a field in Norfolk and the photographer was over a 100 miles it isn't that good. I think you will find Rich and Brian deserves praise for a great image. Thanks for the kind comments though which can be shared to anyone out in the snow. Great image Rich:D:D:D

David

rich s
23rd March 2008, 03:58 PM
Now that, I like very much - whata fantastic effect it is and Rich should be well proud of that shot. Fabulous capture and if it were me I'd be wanting to frame that one.

PS: that reminds me... must find and install a thumbs up smilie. I have one on my site so O dont think Ian will sack me if I get one installed on here :)

Thanks John!

But Brian has to be the star, braving the worst the Scottish weather could throw at him and shooting on regardless ...:rolleyes:

But it does encapsulate the sheer ruggedness of the E3 system ..
Before that trip, back in October, we both spent a full day in York with the E3and 12-60 or 50-200 - completely drenched under heavy rain. But no worries about this camera or the lenses - amazing!