PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with Olympus?

Zuiko
28th February 2011, 02:48 PM
If I was head of a company and my R&D team came up with a product that was not only significantly better than our previous best but also eclipsed much of the competition I'd want to shout it from the rooftops. I'd step up production to satisfy demend, I'd be keen to build on that success with future models, and I'd want to rub the competition's noses in it!

Which leads me to wonder why the E-5 is not being heavilly promoted, why it's still in short supply and why there seem to be no plans to follow up with an E-50 and E-650(?) boasting the same sensor/processer. The E-30 and E-620 needed very little updating apart from the sensor/processor to make them more competitive - some of the features like the articulated screen have only just made it into the Canon range and are ironically being hailed as something of a breakthrough!

None of that should impact on Micro Four Thirds development; apart from the sensor/processor combination which is already available, successors to the E-30 and E-620 needed very little development. And I can't believe that production capability is an issue with the way in which the Chinese economy is expanding.

FT and MFT should for the forseeable future be regarded as complimentary rather than overlapping formats and Olympus need to believe that they really can have their cake and eat it!

Wee man
28th February 2011, 03:25 PM
I wonder also, I tried the main camera shops in Belfast this am for a look see at an E5, answer "we do not have any" it seems I will have to take up Ian on his offer of a hire to try before I buy?

RogerMac
28th February 2011, 03:39 PM
Me too - I finally decided to buy a E5 last week and failed to find anyone with stock, just got my name put onto two waiting lists.
so i will have to go back to wondering if I should wait for the announcements rumoured to be in late spring:(

Roger

Yorkie
28th February 2011, 04:02 PM
Try Ian Kerr (Kerso) of Flash Cameras on Ebay, he seams to be able to get E5's and at the best UK price by far.

kerso1123@msn.com

Got mine in a few days at the right price. I have also bought lenses and other kit from him as I know other forum members have without issue.

*chr

Mike_in_Germany
5th March 2011, 09:09 PM
A lot in Germany, if you don't mind the postage. Guarantee is the same as the UK.:)

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/2409038_-e-5-olympus.html

jchallen
11th March 2011, 08:29 PM
Another thumbs up for Kerso, I recently aquired a 14-54 II from him at a very reasonable price, in fact cheaper than a used example at a local retailer!

Try Ian Kerr (Kerso) of Flash Cameras on Ebay, he seams to be able to get E5's and at the best UK price by far.

kerso1123@msn.com

Got mine in a few days at the right price. I have also bought lenses and other kit from him as I know other forum members have without issue.

*chr