PDA

View Full Version : E-5 in the Highlands

oly_om
21st February 2011, 08:48 PM
I've just got back from Aviemore with my partner and another toggie friend. We've had a cracking week - Red Deer, Red Squirrels, Crested/Blue/Great/Coal Tits, Tree Creepers and even a Capercaillie!

The IQ from the E-5 is a definite step-up from the E-3. My friends shoot Nikon and Canon and were blown away by the IQ of the images - they use a D300 and a 5D mk II with top-class glass too! Simply put, at ISO 800 and less, the E-5 beats pretty much anything out there for IQ when coupled with SHG glass (and most of the HG glass). The only drawback is the slightly lower dynamic range compared with the competition - although I rarely hit this as a problem.

http://picasaweb.google.com/olympusandy/AviemoreFeb2011HiRes

Andy

wanderer
21st February 2011, 09:07 PM
A cracking set.
What lenses were you using?
And how do you get a photo of Walker without wire or looking down from above?

oly_om
21st February 2011, 09:11 PM
A cracking set.
What lenses were you using?
And how do you get a photo of Walker without wire or looking down from above?

Variously ZD300/2.8 (+/- EC-14), ZD50-200SWD and ZD9-18. Using the 300/2.8 wide open, you can throw out the wire by the narrow depth of field.

Andy

dj69
21st February 2011, 09:17 PM
CCC Countryfile Calendar Candidates! Superb

David

Ross the fiddler
21st February 2011, 09:57 PM
Yes, they are a lovely set of photos & some of them would look great as calender photos.

Edit:
OK, I think they're stunning too.

Cathrine Stephansen
21st February 2011, 11:47 PM
Absolutely stunning!! I can almost HEAR the clash of the antlers! Seeing these, I'm so looking forward to getting the 300mm that has been ordered from B&H.

Ellie
22nd February 2011, 12:31 AM
Stunning!

I hope you'll be entering this competition! http://www.bwpawards.org/categories

Cathrine Stephansen
22nd February 2011, 08:40 AM
Another vote for you entering that competition!*yes*yes*yes*chr

rsh1960
22nd February 2011, 04:58 PM
Great series of pictures

Wreckdiver
23rd February 2011, 12:11 AM
Cracking set of photos Andy. I want a 300/2.8 *cry

Steve

yorky
23rd February 2011, 02:20 PM
Nice group, you only need a pussy cat for the complete set? thanks

Seonnaidh
24th February 2011, 01:08 PM
A really great set of images. You make me quite jealous, especially as Aviemore is virtually on my doorstep (in the highlands anything under 120s miles is 'on your doorstep' ) .

Were you at the Highland Wildlife Park by any chance?

oly_om
24th February 2011, 05:36 PM
A really great set of images. You make me quite jealous, especially as Aviemore is virtually on my doorstep (in the highlands anything under 120s miles is 'on your doorstep' ) .

Were you at the Highland Wildlife Park by any chance?

Yep - the only place you can see Polar Bears in the UK now!

The rest of the animals were wild...

Andy

Sabroc
4th March 2011, 08:29 AM
Hope you don't mind me asking but where abouts in Aviemore did you visit and take those?

they're awesome photos

oly_om
4th March 2011, 09:30 AM
Hope you don't mind me asking but where abouts in Aviemore did you visit and take those?

they're awesome photos

The deer in the forest were on a private estate, the tits were in a small forest near Coylum, 57.174,-3.783. The deers in the open were near the source of the spey and the Capercaillie is in a secret location.

Andy

Sabroc
4th March 2011, 09:49 AM
thanks Andy,

Might have a trek through that area next time we're up, we came across some Capercaillies a little further west around one of the lesser visited lochs near the highlands along with some beautiful nesting Ospreys

Cathrine Stephansen
4th March 2011, 10:58 AM
Yep - the only place you can see Polar Bears in the UK now!

Andy

And that's a GOOD thing :D

Jim Ford
4th March 2011, 04:11 PM

You can see crested tits, red squirrels, osprey and often 'The Caper' at the Abernethy RSPB reserve. Get into the hills and you'll see deer, reindeer ptarmigan, eagles etc.. I hope to be up there trekking through the hills in June.

Jim

OlyPaul
4th March 2011, 04:29 PM
Great set of images there Andy!*chr