PDA

View Full Version : Filters

timmypreston
21st February 2011, 03:26 PM
Afternoon,

I am looking to purchase some filters, what size do i need for my Zuiko lenses, is it 58mm?

Thanks
Tim

yorky
21st February 2011, 03:46 PM
Depends on the lens. possibly the best advice is to use cokin filters-that way if or when you get another lens all you need is an adaptor ring to use your existing filters

Wee man
21st February 2011, 04:51 PM
Little article on filters with March 2011 Practical Photography might help..

Nick Temple-Fry
21st February 2011, 05:03 PM
On the front (or side) of the lens you will usually see a circle with a line through it, this is the filter size for that lens. Several of the kit lenses do have a size of 58mm.

Whether you buy Cokin or screw in filters you will need to know this size.

You can usually also get this number from a retailer web site (for example under the Warehouse Express Specifications tab) or from the Olympus web site

Nick

Who's_E
21st February 2011, 05:10 PM
Timmy,

If you look at the front element, it may have the filter ring diameter written in white. The symbol is a circle with a line through it with a number which represents millimetres.

You can also look inside the lens cap, as this often tells you the diameter of the lens cap.

From memory, the 14-42, 40-150 and 70-300 use 58mm filters. The 14-54 and 50-200 use 67mm and the 12-60 uses 72mm.

As Yorky says, you can use Cokin type or just screw them onto the filter thread, each has pros and cons depending on what you want to do. Some recommend using a step-up ring and larger filter to avoid vignetting on wide angle lenses.

Nick