PDA

View Full Version : Second E-510 or E-30 (or an E-1!)

son of sid
19th February 2011, 08:11 AM
I've currently got an E-510 and an E-420. I'm going to sell the E-420 as I find the body "fiddly" to hold for my tastes and am looking to replace it.

I've ruled out the E-3 (too heavy) and E-620 (tried one in Park Cameras and again, found it uncomfortable and "too small" for my tastes).

My budget is approx 500, but before splashing out on an E-30 I would appreciate some advice on whether, for my use, it is justified. My main photography centres on my walks around the countryside and encompasses landscape and wildlife photography (I shoot very little else) in daylight conditions (with no minimal light situations).

I'm interested in the E-1 basically because it has such a strong following still and could be a nice weather-proof solution.

Lenses currently used are the 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm, but if I got an E-1 I'd look to buy a weather-proofed lens such as the 14-54mm also.

Thanks
Sid

Ross the fiddler
19th February 2011, 09:44 AM
I've currently got an E-510 and an E-420. I'm going to sell the E-420 as I find the body "fiddly" to hold for my tastes and am looking to replace it.

I've ruled out the E-3 (too heavy) and E-620 (tried one in Park Cameras and again, found it uncomfortable and "too small" for my tastes).

My budget is approx 500, but before splashing out on an E-30 I would appreciate some advice on whether, for my use, it is justified. My main photography centres on my walks around the countryside and encompasses landscape and wildlife photography (I shoot very little else) in daylight conditions (with no minimal light situations).

I'm interested in the E-1 basically because it has such a strong following still and could be a nice weather-proof solution.

Lenses currently used are the 14-42mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm, but if I got an E-1 I'd look to buy a weather-proofed lens such as the 14-54mm also.

Thanks
Sid

I started out with the E410 which went to my son, then the E520 & now I also enjoy the E30. I would recommend it for it's customisability, IQ, shutter speed, sequence speed, larger view finder, digital level meter, creative additions (art filters & multi-exposure), articulating display, more direct control buttons & the list goes on. Will that do? :D

*chr

David M
19th February 2011, 01:09 PM
In real life the E-30 isn't significantly smaller or lighter than an E-3. It's a few years since I sold my E-1 so can't remember how it compares in size or weight.

As you say, a weather resistant kit would be a nice feature but then you'd need weather resistant lenses.

StephenL
19th February 2011, 04:30 PM
Have you handled an E-1? It's just so ergonomic and "right". Downsides are lack of IS and apparent low pixel count (though this is usually used as an excuse to buy something newer). It's not got as many bells and whistles as the later camerras, if this is important to you.

photonutter
19th February 2011, 04:39 PM
Just wonder if you tried the e620 with or without the battery grip, could make all the difference.

You can get some dimensions and weights here.
http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/body.html#c=FINISH

timg
19th February 2011, 09:26 PM
I have an E510 and recently bought an E1 just because so many people still seem to love it and I now can see why! It is just so nice to use... like mentioned before, it is getting old, is lacking IS and has a small screen and low pixel count (by today's standards) but I still find myself picking up the E1 before the E510 now.

When I got the E1 I also bought the 14-54 (to complete the weather-proofing) and I have to say that attaching the smaller 14-42 lens just doesn't feel right on it and I do wonder if it would feel too small on the E30 too? Don't know if any else here uses that combination?

Wally
20th February 2011, 08:59 AM
Sometimes it makes sense 'in a way' to go back to the future. I have an Oly E-20 which these day's is definitely old hat - cost when new was more than the E5 with a lens - yet it still has its uses. An f2 - 9-36 * 4 internal zoom lens and a silent shutter which at times is a real boon. Yes, it's slow, the 5 megapix count is way, way down but the content quality is there. Built like a tank and with a fixed lens there is no sensor dust problems to get in the way. When fitted with the tele-extension lens or, especially the wide angle lens or the 300mm set-up, it makes a talking point that has broken the ice on many an occasion. Probably more surprising for many is the articulated LCD rear screen.

OlyPaul
20th February 2011, 11:40 AM
In real life the E-30 isn't significantly smaller or lighter than an E-3. It's a few years since I sold my E-1 so can't remember how it compares in size or weight.

Body only the E-1 is 660grams and the E-30 is 655grams compared to the E-3 at 810grams.

I've never wanted to go bigger/heavier than the E-1 and hence my choice of the E-30 to go with my E-1. It's also the reason I'm less than happy with Olympus only giving me the choice of the E-5 in the DSLR sector.

The E-1 is still a great camera if IS and high ISO is not priority and also if you are not into cropping image heavily, I still use mine.

The E-620 balances great with the bigger lenses if it has the grip on, but the viewfinder is not as good as the E-1/E-30.

jamie allan
20th February 2011, 12:26 PM
There's an E-510 twin lens kit on Adtrader at present for 350.
http://www.adtrader.co.uk/leisure-and-lifestyle/cameras-and-equipment/for-sale-olympus-e510-twin-lens-kit-and_389771_cpn.html

Wally
20th February 2011, 02:41 PM
If anyone is interested I still have an e-510 twin lens kit with many extra's going for 260 inc (25 actual cost for RMSD) or VNO Details etc., can be found here (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11900)

jchallen
21st February 2011, 12:30 AM
I have recently aquired an E30 and have to say I love the feel and ergonomics of it. Compared to my E3 it does feel lighter, although that is fitted with the battery grip, something I am not planning on for the E30.

I wanted a lighter camera (compared to the E3) for walk abouts and times when the E3 felt a little obtrusive, the E30 is ideal for this and it retains the same pro feel.

I have not had an opportunity to try an E510/E520 so cannot comment on any comparisons, A friend has an E400 and loves it although I find it too small and awkward to use.

I went for my first DSLR, the E500, over the competion (Canon, Nikon, Minolta etc) based mainly on the 'in the hand' feel, so I would always recomend having a play if possible.

Having said all of this I too am sorely tempted to get an E1 just so that I can see what all the fuss is about, there must be something about it!

jchallen
21st February 2011, 12:41 AM
Sorry theres more........... I should have said

I am currently using the E30 with the kit 14-42mm and it feels good, certainly better than it does on the E3. ALthough I am likley to upgrade this to the 14-54mm. I ahve also tried the 12-60mm on the E30 and that seems to go well also.

Finally (this time I mean it!) if anyone wants to meet up in London or Herts to try out any of these let me know, I have:

E3 + Grip
E30
EPL1
MFT 14-42mm
14-42mm
35mm Macro
12-60mm
50-200mm
9-18mm
70-300mm
40-150mm
Sigma 30mm
Sigma 18-50mm

son of sid
21st February 2011, 04:54 PM
Hi,

thanks for all the replies, advice and info.

I had a play around on Sunday and discovered that my upper practical weight limit is around 1,000 grams all in. On this basis, it looks as though faster better quality lenses are out with the E-1/E-30 (and any of the Olympus cameras in fact). So it looks as though I'll be continuing with the kit lenses for now.

Given that, I'm not sure that the E-30 will give me sufficient extra for the outlay required so I'm thinking of buying the E-1. It'll be roughly cost neutral once I've sold the E-420, the lack of IS won't be an issue (the E-420 doesn't have it and it hasn't been a problem) and 5MP is fine for printing 10 x 8's. Besides, like Jason, I'd also like to see what all the fuss is about :)

Somewhat at a tangent, it may be that micro 4/3rd's is the eventual way forward for me given the reduced weight of bodies/lenses over conventional 4/3rd's but I'm not sure the lens quality coupled with speed is there yet from what I've read.

thanks again
Sid

StephenL
21st February 2011, 06:03 PM
Lens quality on the m4/3 is a variable issue at the moment, in my opinion.

There are some good lenses available, such as the m4/3 Olympus 9-18 and Panasonic's 20mm pancake and 7-14mm. Others are arguably less good, or at least not great. But as a worthwhile alternative the format is ideally suited for "legacy" lenses, which can provide quality at a bargain price. Lenses such as the Zuiko 50mm f1.8, or better still f1.4, and Tamron's SP90.

Backing up the m4/3 advance are the announcements that august lens makers such as Voigtlander, Zeiss and Sigma are moving into this field.

And of course my favourite lens for m4/3 is the ZD 14-54 Mk2 with adaptor. Not exactly compact, but pure quality!

Somewhat at a tangent, it may be that micro 4/3rd's is the eventual way forward for me given the reduced weight of bodies/lenses over conventional 4/3rd's but I'm not sure the lens quality coupled with speed is there yet from what I've read.

thanks again
Sid

Ellie
21st February 2011, 11:58 PM

I don't know whereabouts in "S.E. England" you are, but if you can get somewhere near, or about 20ish miles either side of, the Southampton area for an afternoon you can try out both my E-30 and E-1 before making your mind up.

I started out with the E-400, bought an E-1 because it seemed a good idea at the time and I could afford it. Then, when Jessops had an excellent deal for the E-30, I bought that!