PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Another filter question

Barr1e
15th February 2011, 10:04 AM
Anne and I have Hoya Pro 1 digital UV filters on all our lenses.

We have recently purchased a 50mm Olympus lens and wondered whether we should clothe the lens with a filter or not. Have you fitted one to yours or would you if you bought the same?

Regards. Barr1e

Kiwi Paul
15th February 2011, 10:21 AM
Personally I don't fit filters to any of my lenses other than a polarizer when required.
I know folk say for the cost of a filter it protects the lens but I always use my lenses with the lens hood attached and I consider that adequate protection.

Paul

Who's_E
15th February 2011, 10:27 AM
Barrie,

There is a less clear-cut reason for having a filter on the 50mm if you are into using a UV to protect your lens (as I am). With my normal lenses I keep the lens cap off when moving around so use the filters to save the glass from any potential knocks.

Arguably, as I only use the 50mm for specific macro work I don't actually move around with the lens cap off so I could perhaps not use the filter. However, as I use a borrowed lens and I am risk averse, I keep the filter on just in case. I unscrewed the filter (Hoya pro 1) the other day and couldn't see any discernible difference between the photo I took and previous ones with the filter on.

This is on an E3, though, without the super-duper low anti aliasing filter you have on your E5. Also consider turning down the noise reduction and the Image Shaker off as these will both affect sharpness, too.

Nick

andym
15th February 2011, 11:23 AM
Hi Barr1e

Always with a filter,when I'm scrabbling about in the bushes looking for insects you never know whats going to brush against the glass.
Not aware of any image degradation,still very sharp.

Can't wait until some "creepies" come out so I can try my 50mm with my E5.

Bikie John
15th February 2011, 11:44 AM
I used to keep UV filters on all my lenses until I started taking urban photos at night. Then all sorts of extra streetlights started appearing in strange positions as a result of internal reflections, even with proper multicoated filters. I reckoned that if it showed up that clearly at night, it must be having some side-effects during the day as well so resolved to leave them off except when there was a definite need (rain, sea spray/sand etc.), and be more careful with the lenses.

But to filter or not usually ends up as a religious argument and I'm not willing to die for it either way :)

Ciao ... John

Ellie
15th February 2011, 01:01 PM
We have recently purchased a 50mm Olympus lens and wondered whether we should clothe the lens with a filter or not. Have you fitted one to yours or would you if you bought the same?
Yes, I would. I have UV filters on all my lenses including the 35mm macro. I wasn't sure if it the distance between the front of the lens and the filter would cause odd internal reflections but it hasn't, so the filter stays.

I take the filter off if I want to use a polariser.

JackBenedict
15th February 2011, 01:21 PM
Barrie - I think this question has raised its head here on the forum previously.
Then as now there were totally opposing views - none right; none wrong ( that could be proved )

If I have spent in excess of 500 on a lens then it's going to have a filter on it - it's a no brainer in my view,unless someone out there can give me concrete proof that a filter affects your day to day results. However I would agree with Biker John that in some circumstances night shots can be affected - but as I do little or none of these now it doesn't apply to me.

Melaka
15th February 2011, 04:08 PM
However, as I use a borrowed lens and I am risk averse, I keep the filter on just in case.

Nick

As the owner I'm pleased to hear that!

Garrie
15th February 2011, 04:48 PM
I use a UV filter on all my lenses basically due to the type of location the majority of my photographs are taken (derelict, dusty, damp horrid old hospitals etc).

I've not really noticed a different with or without, all of my photographs are soft lol.

peak4
15th February 2011, 05:20 PM
Hi, Personally, all my lenses barring the 7-14mm have filters on, a mixture of Hoya Pro, B+W MRC & Dorr DGH Super Protect.

My 50mm had a 52mm B+W (http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Shop/Lenses+and+Accessories/Lens+Filters/52mm+Filters/B+W+52mm+Clear+Glass+Protection+MRC+F-PRO+Mount+BW+Filter_BW1001698.htm) on, but I've not really noticed much, if any difference in quality between them.
If I was replacing it now, I'd probably get a Dorr one (http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Shop/Lenses+and+Accessories/Lens+Filters/52mm+Filters/Dorr+52mm+DHG+Super+Protection+Filter+316652_31665 2.htm) for 20 and save the 3 for a beer or two:D

Barr1e
15th February 2011, 06:33 PM
To be or not to be...............;)

Thanks so much for your thoughts and guidance. Much appreciated.

Regards. Barr1e

Bikie John
15th February 2011, 07:14 PM
If I was replacing it now, I'd probably get a Dorr one (http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Shop/Lenses+and+Accessories/Lens+Filters/52mm+Filters/Dorr+52mm+DHG+Super+Protection+Filter+316652_31665 2.htm) for 20 and save the 3 for a beer or two:D

I knew beer was cheap in Sheffield, but at 1.50 a pint it's practically worth moving there just for that!

Ciao ... Thirsty John

peak4
15th February 2011, 07:40 PM
I knew beer was cheap in Sheffield, but at 1.50 a pint it's practically worth moving there just for that!

Ciao ... Thirsty John

Ah That will be another typo then.
There was about 7.50 difference between the two filter prices.

Mind you The Blake and The Wellington (http://www.wellingtonsheffield.com/) down the road both do a fine selection of hand pulled beers from 2.10 but keep it quiet. ;)
The latter brews their own under the "Little Ale Cart" banner.

The Brown Bear Right in the city centre by the Crucible is still well under 2.00 a pint for hand pulled Sam Smiths, as far as I know.

benvendetta
15th February 2011, 09:56 PM
Wish there was a protection filter that I could fit to my 7-14! :(

Ross the fiddler
15th February 2011, 10:47 PM
I use lens filters & hoods until they need to come off. Night photography is one example where I would take the filter off, but it is also when my my tripod got bumped in the dark & the 70-300 lens (with hood) hit the ground, thanfully on the grass. It is still working fine. The better coated filters will at least minimise any reflections.