PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Imaging financial state worrying

Makonde
13th February 2011, 01:39 PM
Interesting thread here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/olympusesystem/discuss/72157625903440213/

Summary:
Olympus photo division continues to be loss-making, loss worsening.
Canon by contrast shows very substantial increase in revenue
Reminder of Olympus statement last year that they will quit if not profitable in five years

And of course we have the recent announcement of new (British) CEO

ringneck
13th February 2011, 04:29 PM
Yes interesting and informative thread......as I didn't know ANYTHING about Oly's troubles.

My usual gripe about Oly came to mind though......How the hell can anyone think about buying into Oly if there's nowhere for them to actually see/examine the products.
I wanted to see the E5 while visiting the "big" shops in Birmingham (millions live here) recently so I could bore the wife with my dreams etc.
I ended up seeing nowt except HER shoes and handbags...thanks OLY....

keith *chr

Daveart
13th February 2011, 07:32 PM
I shouldn't worry to much, as Carl Ziess and sigma are making lenses for 4/3rds, they wouldn't be doing that if it was a sinking ship. Finnacial figures don't mean much in modern bussiness these days as in the game of ruducing Taxes.

Thats my opinion to that any way.

Dave

photonutter
13th February 2011, 08:57 PM
Some one missing here?

http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/home.htm

Only the largest photography consumer exhibition in europe, and no Oly?

Zuiko
13th February 2011, 08:57 PM
Well, I'm also in a worrying finacial state and it could soon be that Olympus are no longer providing new products that I can't afford! At least there is loads of Oly gear out there and if they do go down the pan it will become more affordable for me on the secondhand market!

Seriously, I wouldn't worry. The company have set a return to profitability target of 5 years because they know that is realistic, whereas 2 years would not be.

stevednp3
13th February 2011, 09:02 PM
Some one missing here?

http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/home.htm

Only the largest photography consumer exhibition in europe, and no Oly?

Bloody Hell :confused: Olympus you need to sort out your marketing department and quick

weecountyman
26th May 2011, 11:45 AM
I don't follow such trends either, so stumbling upon this thread was an eye opener.

Presumably the earthquake in Japan can't have helped either - or is Olympus kit manufactured elsewhere these days ?

Ian
26th May 2011, 01:55 PM
I don't follow such trends either, so stumbling upon this thread was an eye opener.

Presumably the earthquake in Japan can't have helped either - or is Olympus kit manufactured elsewhere these days ?

Olympus all cameras and most lenses (except the top end lenses) are manufactured in China, but many components are manufactured in Japan.

I think Olympus is in a transitional phase. Clearly, Olympus has not done well commercially in the DSLR market and the compact camera commodity market is very difficult for everyone at the moment. A lot does rest on Micro Four Thirds and more niche products like the XZ-1 and some superzoom bridge camera models. There has been a huge investment in Micro Four Thirds and with these kinds of investments you don't start to make profits for several years. But Micro Four Thirds is growing fast is the leader in the compact system market that now represents 30% of the Japanese interchangeable lens market. In fact Olympus has two Pens in the the four leading models in that category, the other two coming from Sony and Panasonic. Compact system cameras (CSCs) are also growing fast in the UK market with just under 25% of the interchangeable lens market. CSCs grew over 200% in the last year while DSLR sales were flat according to GFK figures.

And guess what - my understanding is that Olympus UK was profitable last year!

Ian

Zuiko
26th May 2011, 02:11 PM
It's certainly not all doom and gloom and if Olympus UK are back in profit that's a great start. Also, Japanese market penetration is very encouraging, although this does ultimately need to be emulated around the world, particularly in North America.

The Pen concept is developing nicely, but it could be argued that Panasonic are leading the race with more models and newer sensors. It will soon be make or break for Oly and we really need a new top end model this summer which really steps up the performance and features, not just an incremetal update on an existing model.

DekHog
26th May 2011, 02:26 PM
.....but why no stand at Focus next year? That just doesn't make any sense to me, as everyone who is anyone in the camera industry along with thousands of potential buyers goes there.... no presence there looks like chucking in the towel before the fight is over, even if they aren't.... :confused:

Ian
26th May 2011, 02:57 PM
.....but why no stand at Focus next year? That just doesn't make any sense to me, as everyone who is anyone in the camera industry along with thousands of potential buyers goes there.... no presence there looks like chucking in the towel before the fight is over, even if they aren't.... :confused:

Who said Olympus won't be at Focus next year?

There was a small Olympus presence at Focus this year.

Focus actually only touches a very small number of people compared to the number of cameras sold. This year's focus show attracted 38,000 visitors but around 450,000 people bought an interchangeable lens camera in the UK last year, and around 100,000 of those bought compact system cameras, like the Pen.

Ian

DekHog
26th May 2011, 03:07 PM
I assumed they wouldn't be they aren't listed in the exhibitors list (http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/exhibitors.htm) for Focus....

Ian
26th May 2011, 03:37 PM
I assumed they wouldn't be they aren't listed in the exhibitors list (http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/exhibitors.htm) for Focus....

Many exhibitors sign up only a few months before the show. And of course Canon signed up and then cancelled just before this year's show!

Ian

Homer Simpson
26th May 2011, 06:31 PM
Clearly, Olympus has not done well commercially in the DSLR market
Ian

You can say that again!
The Olympus designers must be chewing the carpet!
They keep turning out world beating designs but the rest of Olympus seems totally inept.

The marketing Dept must be completely populated by window men.

Phill D
26th May 2011, 07:13 PM
I don't go every year but I haven't seen Olympus at Focus for some years now. I know Canon pulled out this year at the last minute but Pentax returned after an absence. In fact the Pentax K5 camera I played with was really very nice. If only Oly would bring out an uprated E620 - sigh. I'm surprised you said Olympus had a small presence this year Ian, I don't know how I missed them. Where were they hiding?

gwpics
26th May 2011, 07:59 PM
Canon are not on the list for next year yet. Times are tight economically, and it is also early days.

Gerry

Ian
26th May 2011, 08:06 PM
I don't go every year but I haven't seen Olympus at Focus for some years now. I know Canon pulled out this year at the last minute but Pentax returned after an absence. In fact the Pentax K5 camera I played with was really very nice. If only Oly would bring out an uprated E620 - sigh. I'm surprised you said Olympus had a small presence this year Ian, I don't know how I missed them. Where were they hiding?

They shared a stand with Bright Publishing, who publish Olympus User for Olympus UK. They had a studio set up with a model (familiar to some here on the e-group) and a motorbike, demonstrating the E-5 and E-PL2. This was discussed quite a bit here on the forum at the time and we even had some leaflets to promote the e-group and the hire service printed and distributed from the stand.

Ian

Phill D
29th May 2011, 06:20 PM
Ah now you mention it I did see a studio set where someone was giving lighting tips using an Oly E5. I watched for a while but didn't realise it was the official Oly stand.....doh, I would have liked a play with the E-PL2. I'll know what to look out for next year. Shame I didn't find this forum sooner.

Nova Invicta
6th October 2011, 05:06 PM
The latest CIPA figures in Japan show DSLRS and CSC cameras growing globally but compact cameras falling over 2010. Inter-changable lenses are also growing so thats good new for Oly. Bad news is both Pentax and now Nikon are joining the CSC market along with Sony & Samsung the market that Panasonic & Oly created has more competition.
The biggest problem is distribution both in the UK & US you really have to hunt to find an Olympus retailer particularly one that has any lens beyond the 14-42mm whereas Sony, Nikon & even Samsung have bigger exposure.