PDA

View Full Version : Olympus repair center and my E5 IS fault

Kiwi Paul
12th February 2011, 01:41 PM
Well I guess I'm not surprised after their last dismal effort repairing my E3, (it took them 2 attempts to repair it) that they haven't fixed my E5 either. It's exactly the same, I took it out today took 5 photos with and without IS, the shots in portrait mode with IS are fuzzy and the ones without IS are fine. Just as it was before!

I'm really not happy, this is the second time they have failed to repair something first time.
I'm going to ring them Monday and just ask for a replacement.
The incompetence of the repair center is unbelievable.
It's situations like this that really have me thinking about jumping ship.

Paul

Zuiko
12th February 2011, 02:52 PM
Well I guess I'm not surprised after their last dismal effort repairing my E3, (it took them 2 attempts to repair it) that they haven't fixed my E5 either. It's exactly the same, I took it out today took 5 photos with and without IS, the shots in portrait mode with IS are fuzzy and the ones without IS are fine. Just as it was before!

I'm really not happy, this is the second time they have failed to repair something first time.
I'm going to ring them Monday and just ask for a replacement.
The incompetence of the repair center is unbelievable.
It's situations like this that really have me thinking about jumping ship.

Paul

It's infuriating, I know. Why can't they just get it right?

I appreciate it's no consolation but I've heard a few horror stories about other major brands too, on a forum that shall remain nameless. Jumping ship could just buy you a bag of different troubles.

David Morison
12th February 2011, 04:21 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your woes, I just hope that I will never need their services. In contrast I once had a Leica Digilux 2 on which the sensor went wrong after nearly 5 years and although the warranty was only for 2 years, Leica at Solm in Germany replaced the sensor and serviced the camera free of charge. Oh for that quality of service with Olympus!

David

Kiwi Paul
12th February 2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks, I'm annoyed as this is the second time I have had a camera repaired (the E3 previously) and it's not been repaired properly and had to be sent back. I sent them a detailed report stating the problem and when it occurred and had also emailed them photos showing the problem.
In the service report they didn't even state they had looked at the IS.

Paul

iMac
12th February 2011, 06:22 PM
That's not good news Paul, however I'm sure Olympus will make it right, just a bummer they didn't get it right the first time around. And I agree they should just replace it with a new one, being the top of line camera that Olympus offers, I think they need to treat their customers that own these with top of the line service.

Kiwi Paul
12th February 2011, 06:32 PM
however I'm sure Olympus will make it right, just a bummer they didn't get it right the first time around. And I agree they should just replace it with a new one, being the top of line camera that Olympus offers, I think they need to treat their customers that own these with top of the line service.

I think they will be reluctant to replace it, just the way they are. I'll try to convince them on Monday.

Paul

peak4
12th February 2011, 06:42 PM
Paul, I had the odd issues with my E-3 when they first came out.
The viewfinder shutter blind jammed, half obscuring the eyepiece. I duly sent it on holiday to Portugal, and shortly after its return, the fault re-occurred.
Back to Portugal again, but this time it cam back with the whole rear screen replaced as well for some reason; I've no idea why.
Unfortunately that had a bad connection somewhere, so the screen would intermittently flicker or lose a varying selection of colours.
When I returned it the third time, again via my dealer, I enclosed a note saying that whilst I loved the camera I didn't think this particular body was of merchantable quality, and asked for a replacement. The body was probably a year old at this time.
I don't know how much my local dealer had to do with it, but the body was duly replaced; I'm pretty sure they added another covering letter suggesting a replacement would be in order. (I do like Harrison Cameras (www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/) :))
Olympus came up trumps and replaced it with a new body only kit, including charger leads etc. even though I'd only sent the bare body off to them.
It was only much later that I realised that they had also upgraded my e-club membership to the top level as well.
The only problem I've had since was the organic lens behind the viewfinder. :rolleyes:

They also came good when my second hand 50-200mm parted company with itself in the middle. The repair, whilst well out of warranty, was completed free gratis. Again I returned it via my dealer; I'd bought it from there second hand a year previously.

Good luck with your phone call on Monday.

Kiwi Paul
12th February 2011, 06:52 PM
Cheers Bill, I hope they play ball with me too.

Paul

Zuiko
12th February 2011, 06:57 PM
Paul, I had the odd issues with my E-3 when they first came out.
The viewfinder shutter blind jammed, half obscuring the eyepiece. I duly sent it on holiday to Portugal, and shortly after its return, the fault re-occurred.
Back to Portugal again, but this time it cam back with the whole rear screen replaced as well for some reason; I've no idea why.
Unfortunately that had a bad connection somewhere, so the screen would intermittently flicker or lose a varying selection of colours.
When I returned it the third time, again via my dealer, I enclosed a note saying that whilst I loved the camera I didn't think this particular body was of merchantable quality, and asked for a replacement. The body was probably a year old at this time.
I don't know how much my local dealer had to do with it, but the body was duly replaced; I'm pretty sure they added another covering letter suggesting a replacement would be in order. (I do like Harrison Cameras (www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/) :))
Olympus came up trumps and replaced it with a new body only kit, including charger leads etc. even though I'd only sent the bare body off to them.
It was only much later that I realised that they had also upgraded my e-club membership to the top level as well.
The only problem I've had since was the organic lens behind the viewfinder. :rolleyes:

They also came good when my second hand 50-200mm parted company with itself in the middle. The repair, whilst well out of warranty, was completed free gratis. Again I returned it via my dealer; I'd bought it from there second hand a year previously.

Good luck with your phone call on Monday.

That's how it should be. Replacements actually cost the manufacturer very little. The reputation and goodwill they build as a result is immense. Why they (and I mean all manufacturers) fail to grasp this often enough is beyond me.

jonsey
12th February 2011, 11:17 PM
interesting reading...im not completely happy with my e30, even though its been back to them for a minor repair, it still wont focus as sharp as it should, my bloody e510 runs rings round it for PQ, im on the cusp of buying a 7d...instead of an e5...Happy days...........

Garrie
13th February 2011, 12:01 AM
interesting reading...im not completely happy with my e30, even though its been back to them for a minor repair, it still wont focus as sharp as it should, my bloody e510 runs rings round it for PQ, im on the cusp of buying a 7d...instead of an e5...Happy days...........

yup my E510 ran rings round my E3 even though the E3 has been back to Oly for repair :(

5Dmkii for me if my works bonus is big enough :)

Woofmix, hope you get it sorted soon :)

Kiwi Paul
14th February 2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks Garrie.

I've just been looking at the repair form again, here's what it says.....

Fault: Exposure Reason: Transport System Action: Cleaned

Fault: Lens Reason: Auto Focus Action: Adjusted

Fault: Display Reason: Electronic Viewfinder Action: Repaired

Hmmmm the exposure was already fine,

lens???? what the hell does that mean I didn't sent them a lens!

Display????? The display was fine too so what did they repair???

No mention of Image Stabilization Faulty Repalced though

Paul

Roy Clarke
14th February 2011, 01:28 PM
Is Paul unlucky and the only one to have these problems or are other E5 owners experiencing the same issues with the IS system on their camera's?

Roy

andym
14th February 2011, 03:08 PM
Is Paul unlucky and the only one to have these problems or are other E5 owners experiencing the same issues with the IS system on their camera's?

Roy

After seeing this the other week I had quite a fiddle but seem to have no issues.

Seonnaidh
14th February 2011, 06:31 PM
I really understand how you must feel. But I feel obliged to tell you this.

Three years ago I had a fault develop with a Nikkor (sorry) 80-400mm lens.
Despite being a member of the Nikon Professional Services register and entitled to replacement gear whilst mine was being repaired I was told "ohh we don't consider that lens to be 'professional' equipmenFt so we won't lend you a replacement. Six weeks, yes six weeks later when I telephoned the repair centre at Richmond I was very curtly told by female with a very 'posh' accent that it was still away being repaired and "don't bother telephoning again as we will let you know when your lens is returned from Japan" no communication in the meantime to tell me that they were unable to repair the lens and that it had been returned to Japan so expect a considerable delay in getting it back.
After asking some more pertinent questions I was sharply told that she couldn't (wouldn't) be able to help any further that day (Friday) as she was away with her partner to a Polo match somewhere for the week end.
Om the Monday I again telephoned Richmond and despite reaching a 'senior member of the management team' I was again very courteously told to stop bothering them. Four weeks later my lens was returned, and it was completely useless. OOF at every setting in either format landscape or portrait. I then tok it to a Nikon repair centre in Glas gow who fixed it within 24 hrs and told me that apart from cleaning nothing had been done to re align the elements! They also pointed out that it probably went to Holland for repair. Since then I have met with a certain lack of customer care from Nikon, unless you are a household 'name' they don't really care.

Now Canon; I had an EOS1n in the days of film that I dropped on Horse Guards Parade. It fell about three feet and 'morphed into a 3d jigsaw puzzle.
Totally knackered , 9 months old and Canon estimated it as 'beyond economical repair' so I had it returned and claimed on my insurance. So a top spec pro camera totally disintegrates after a relatively minor fall !
A short time after this a picture editor at quite a famous well respected picture agency telephoned me to say that some images of Avocets I had submitted were 'soft' I checked my canon 300mm f2.8 lens and sure enough it was not autofocusing correctly. Twice it went back to Canon and twice it was returned still faulty.
So Oly are not the only camera manufacturer to give less than excellent service. Sorry for such a long posting.

Greytop
14th February 2011, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear of your woes Paul, it's not acceptable when something has been sent in for repair with clear instructions with regard to the problem.

Having said that to add some further balance when I owned my Pentax gear there we many users having problems with their DA* lenses in particular SDM motors which would fail sometimes just out side warranty!
Not only that the DA*16-50 f/2.8 in particular was infamous for optical misalignment issues which I experienced and had to get a replacement unit due to softness on the right hand side of images.

The grass is definitely not always greener ;)

JohnF
14th February 2011, 08:27 PM
Hi -

Nikon repair service is the reason I do not own Nikons. To make a very long story short, I went to their web site and chose English as the language (I live in Germany, but as an expat I sometimes draw the line at conducting everything in German), and sent a camera to the address they specified for repair. After a fairly interminable time (2 months), I called up and got pretty much the same answer, then 2 weeks later an email with the bill and where to send the money.

It was for the replacement of the infamous Sony sensor problem that Nikon was to cover. However, by choosing English as my language, they automagically assumed I was in England: I had to pay no less than 75 quid to get the camera returned to Germany, even though I had followed all of their instructions. I almost told them to put the camera where the sun doesn't shine, but decided that I'd rather have it than not. Instead of using a snippet of code to check where the camera was located and having it sent to Nikon in that country, I paid 75 quid for courier service that I didn't even want: I asked if they could just put it in the mail, and they said that because it was overseas, they would only use a courier service.

Adding insult to injury, it took 15 days to arrive.

That put me off Nikon when I was looking for a DSLR permanently.

My Olympus kit has had no problems, so I can't pass on any war stories...

JohnF

Kiwi Paul
14th February 2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah it seems there lots of horror stories from all manufacturers.
I'm won't really jump ship but sometimes you feel like it when things like this occur.
I suspect the problem might be in the translation. The repair center is in Portugal, the support is in the Czech republic and I send the camera to Nottingham where I gather it's forwarded on. So it's possible by the time the repair technician gets the camera with a translated repair form the described fault may not be what was originally reported.
Although that said my E3 came back with the diopter adjuster unadjustable where it was fine before been sent away so that was just sloppyness.

Paul

Kiwi Paul
28th February 2011, 03:29 PM
Just an update, I was in touch last week and they have sent me a courier pack to return it for them to look at it again.
I'm off to Prague and Bavaria (for a photography workshop) in 2.5 weeks so I'll wait until I get back before sending it away as I want to take it and don't want to risk it not being back before I leave.

Paul

jonsey
28th February 2011, 03:35 PM
on the other hand.. do you want to take along a faulty camera?.. im sure it will be back well before your 2+ week deadline

jeff

Kiwi Paul
28th February 2011, 03:46 PM
I dare not risk it, it may get help up waiting for spares or something.
It works fine with IS off so I'll just take it and sort it once I'm back.

Paul

David Morison
28th February 2011, 03:56 PM
On the matter of robustness I had placed my E30 with Bigma on the shelf in front of me in a hide at Rutland while I used my binos. I hadn't realised the shelf was sloping and my camera an lens thudded to the floor. Embarrassed and fearful for my outfit I picked it up, nonchalantly shrugged my shoulders and pretended to carry on shooting. But hey, no sign of any damage to lens or camera and both worked happily ever after!

David

Wee man
28th February 2011, 07:09 PM
I too have a repair problem. My E30 has started to play up I have noticed shots lately are soft with all lenses and today the card eject button failed. I am going away in two weeks and would like to take it with me but am not sure it will be back. I e-mailed and was told to send it with proof of warranty. I have the paperwork but cannot find a time line is it two years? I was given the link below for warranty details by Olympus but it fails with a 404 error. Can anyone help with warranty details?

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_1564.htm

Thanks

Danny
28th February 2011, 07:19 PM
That link works for me Ed!

Wee man
28th February 2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks after your post I clicked on the link in my own post and suprise - surprise it opened! Thanks I now know it is two years on my camera body now to decide when to send it away.

Kiwi Paul
28th February 2011, 07:34 PM
Just send the camera with a purchase receipt or stamped warranty form, UK warranty is 2 years but after a repair it's often extended by 6 months.
Turn around is quoted as about 2 weeks, the last time I sent the E5 in the turn around was only a week but if spares are required and not in stock then who knows how long. Then of course you send it back a second time to get it fixed properly, hopefully.

Paul

padgreen
28th February 2011, 08:30 PM
I too have had a mixed experience with Olympus service. Originally, I wanted the FS-3 grid focusing screen fitted to my E30. It took a while to find someone at Olympus who had even heard of it, let alone give me a quote for fitting. Several phone calls to Olympus service in the UK and somewhere in Eastern Europe yielded no information, other than general advice to try calling Luton camera's. Luton Cameras said try calling Olympus.

Eventually I sent an email to Olympus Customer Service in the UK. This too resulted in being advised to contact Luton Cameras. However, once I replied that I had already tried that, the person who replied from Olympus Southend couldn't have been more helpful. She got a price for the FS-3 fitting and even couriered me a box to return my E30 in. The fitting was done relatively quickly and, according to the repair sheet, also fixed a few other things that I didn't even know were wrong. My camera was also returned fairly quickly. So at that stage, I was both pleased and impressed with the service I had received.

However, the first time I took the camera out, it developed a fault with the shutter. So I sent emailed my contact at Olympus Southend. She replied within hours and couriered me another box to return the camera for repair (it was still under guarantee). She also, separately, couriered me an Olympus E410 on loan. So despite the inconvenience, I was still impressed by the service I received.

As I was returning my camera again I thought I'd also mention the viewfinder information display: it was not uniformly bright across the whole display. I hadn't thought to mention it when I first sent the camera in for the FS-3 grid screen fitting but, given, I was now having to return it again I thought I might as well get that fixed as well.

The camera was turned around fairly quickly and returned to me. However, I was disappointed to note that the viewfinder information display was now worse than it was originally. So that necessitated returning the camera a third time. My contact was apologetic and also couriered me another box to return the camera.

When the camera was returned to me this time, I could see that the viewfinder display had been adjusted. However, it was only as good as it was when I originally mentioned it, it was still not perfect and certainly not as good as the information display on my old E1 or for that matter on my dad's and sister's E620's.

However, the repair sheet said the display was within normal operational parameters, so I decided to leave it as it was as I couldn't face returning the camera a fourth time.

So, while I remain a bit miffed that Olympus service couldn't make the viewfinder perfect, my contact at Olympus Southend was incredibly helpful throughout.

PeterD
28th February 2011, 11:33 PM
I am sorry to hear of your experience Paul. I must say though that my experience has been totally different.

When my new E3 became faulty, a quick discusion with the repair service confirmed it was faulty and they suggested I return it for repair. I protested that the camera was relatively new (3 months since purchase) and that a repair was not appropriate. They suggested I call Olympus UK. I did that, explained the fault and my discusions with the repair centre. I told them that it was not really fair for me to be without the camera whilst it was under repair. The result was that I picked up a brand new loan camera to cover the time my camera was in repair.
The same thing happened when I found fault with the 70-300 lens. I got the same result, a brand new replacement lens.
I cannot fault them for their support. Yes, you will be asked to send it in for repair but if you challenge this, I have found that they will listen and respond.

Slightly off topic. I have had exactly the same response from Sigma. I dropped my lens and damaged it. Paid for the repair which did not resolve the problem. They then took the lens back and sent it to the factory for a full refurbishment at no cost to me. In the mean-time, they loaned me another lens from their stock. One year later, the lens came back and I returned the loan lens.

In summary, I am very pleased with the support I have received with my equipment. First class and customer focussed.

I hope you get your camera sorted.