PDA

View Full Version : Dawn light

ianc
20th March 2008, 07:15 PM
I was out with the tent for a couple of days over the weekend. I got up early on Monday morning to get this picture, 2 shots stitched. It was freezing until the sun got high enough to reach me.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Dawnlight.jpg

Any comments welcome.

Ian C.

andym
20th March 2008, 07:29 PM
Ian

Lovely picture.

I feel it might work a little better is the shore line was in the middlle of the picture and hence even amounts of mountains above and in refletion below.

But very very good.

PeterD
20th March 2008, 07:31 PM
I agree with the comments made by Andy. Beautiful picture though.

PeterD

ianc
21st March 2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the comments Guys.

Do you mean like this.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Dawnlight2.jpg

Personally I prefer the original but it's all a matter of taste.

Ian C.

shenstone
21st March 2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the comments Guys.

Do you mean like this.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Dawnlight2.jpg

Personally I prefer the original but it's all a matter of taste.

Ian C.

Like you I preferred the original - a bit more sky is more majestic which is how you see it when you are there

As you're looking for perfection - I wonder re the hill on the right. This is a common problem in the mountains in that you can't always balance the picture because geology gets in the way. I've resorted to PP in the past, but then the people who know the location complain that there's something missing

Regards
Andy

PeterD
21st March 2008, 10:33 AM
Ian, yes. Thats given more balance. As far as I can see, the wedge shape formed by the mountains is fine. The proportions now are good that the balance between sky and water has been adjusted.

What might have made the picture even better was if a boat or something else was locatwed at the apex. The wedge would have then drawn the eye to it.

PeterD

steverh
21st March 2008, 10:44 AM
I agree with Andy - I prefer the horizon to be off-centre a little.

The large, deep shadow area on the right is unfortunate but it's difficult to suggest what you could do, apart from trying to lift it a fraction in PP.

It's a very nice picture nevertheless.

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd March 2008, 02:13 PM
I know I'm going to get shot down by the purists, but if you flip this horizontally, so the image "reads" left to right, I think it works even better.

All else aside, it's a great shot and must have been brilliant to wake up to such sceanery.

Cheers

ianc
26th March 2008, 07:18 PM
I've just bought Bracketeer, a Mac only front end for Enfuse. For those of you who don't know it Enfuse is a sort of HDR program. It will not produce the cartoonish HDR images we have all seen but will try to give a realistic shot bringing out as much detail as possible from up to 10 images. With Bracketeer you can input JPEG, TIFF or any RAW files supported by Mac OS10, with the latest update this includes E3 ORF, and it will output as a TIFF. You can even put in a stack of pictures with different focus points and extract the sharpest elements from them.

Anyway having a new toy I thought I would have another play with this image. I processed the RAW file 5 times at different exposure settings and then processed them with Bracketeer. I know some of you prefer the version with less sky but apart from that what do you think does the extra detail in the vegetation help or hinder the image? Comments please.

Ian C.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/DawnlightEnfused.jpg

andym
26th March 2008, 07:22 PM
Ian

Thats really nice.I like what its done to the foreshore in front of the mountains and also to the reflection.It gives the reflection more texture.

You will get hours of fun with your new toy.

ianc
26th March 2008, 07:29 PM
Ian

Thats really nice.I like what its done to the foreshore in front of the mountains and also to the reflection.It gives the reflection more texture.

You will get hours of fun the your new toy.

I agree about the reflection but I'm not sure I like the snow and sky as much as the original. Oh well it looks like I'll need to spend some time playing to get the best from Bracketeer anyway that's my excuse.:D

Ian C.

art frames
26th March 2008, 09:19 PM
Ian

I agree with you. Like many processing tools I think it takes away as much as it gives. There may be too many distractions in the detail at the expense of the overall form. I find several elements of CS3 do much the same (shadow/highlight or relighting) and even the built in graduation tool in the E3 itself.

Several times I have spent ages on very careful processing of a RAW file which has 'enhanced the picture' only to throw it away as I actually prefer the original flawed camera jpg. I am not sure how much of that is recreating what I originally saw- I suspect some. But often you need to simplify and leave things out too.

All I can offer are tips from painting. Leave it for a few days and come at it fresh. Print it and look at it upside down and in a mirror. By taking a fresh view you may decide on your selection. Any of them are worthy pictures. I happen to like the starting picture best.

As a MAC user I will look into the software as I could clearly lose hours more time with this! *erm Thanks for that.

best wishes

Peter

ianc
27th March 2008, 12:19 AM
Ian

I agree with you. Like many processing tools I think it takes away as much as it gives. There may be too many distractions in the detail at the expense of the overall form. I find several elements of CS3 do much the same (shadow/highlight or relighting) and even the built in graduation tool in the E3 itself.

Several times I have spent ages on very careful processing of a RAW file which has 'enhanced the picture' only to throw it away as I actually prefer the original flawed camera jpg. I am not sure how much of that is recreating what I originally saw- I suspect some. But often you need to simplify and leave things out too.

All I can offer are tips from painting. Leave it for a few days and come at it fresh. Print it and look at it upside down and in a mirror. By taking a fresh view you may decide on your selection. Any of them are worthy pictures. I happen to like the starting picture best.

As a MAC user I will look into the software as I could clearly lose hours more time with this! *erm Thanks for that.

best wishes

Peter

Bracketeer costs $29.95, about 15 exV.A.T. and is available from http://pangeasoft.net/pano/bracketeer/index.html You can also download a trial version.

Ian C.