PDA

View Full Version : E5 and weatherproofing.

David Morison
11th February 2011, 12:02 AM
I spent nearly two hours today with the E5 and 300mm in steady rain without extra cover and with no adverse affects except one, a very crucial one! Because of the very damp situation my viewfinder was constantly fogging externally, even though I wear spectacles, which considerably reduced my ability to take shots without getting out my lens cloth and cleaning before being able to see my subject. I wonder if Olympus had actually tested for this possibility in typical British February weather. Does any one know of a lens cleaning fluid or coating/film that would alleviate this problem and be safe to use on coated optics?

Kind Regards

David

sapper
11th February 2011, 08:26 AM
Motor factors sell stuff that prevents misting on internal windscreens, I wonder if they would work.
I use soap on my bathroom mirror, that works for a few days.

Kiwi Paul
11th February 2011, 08:57 AM
When I used to scuba dive I'd spit on the inside of my mask to prevent fogging, maybe try that :eek: :D

Paul

sapper
11th February 2011, 10:19 AM
When I used to scuba dive I'd spit on the inside of my mask to prevent fogging, maybe try that :eek: :D

Paul

Ugh! Soapy spit!

Doug H
11th February 2011, 10:30 AM
I use various products from www.salclear.com initially for motor cycle use (I wear glasses under a visor) but I also use Vision + on my viewfinder and on filters with good effect (I only use filters under adverse conditions and then only to avoid me accidentally scratching the front element when cleaning spray). I talked to them and found that a number of their staff use their products for exactly the same reason.
Doug

Who's_E
11th February 2011, 01:56 PM
David,

I seem to remember using a small cut-out (3"x3") chamois leather square tied on a string around my neck when I was rifle shooting in wet conditions.

A quick wipe would absorb moisture from the eyepiece and allow me to see for a bit. When the shammy became too wet, I would wring it out and start again.

Nick

jalanb
11th February 2011, 04:11 PM

Paul

... or rubbed my mask with a slice of raw potato!

Alan

Kiwi Paul
11th February 2011, 04:16 PM
... or rubbed my mask with a slice of raw potato!

Alan

That might work and it would also give you something to snack on if you get hungry while shooting :rolleyes: :D

Paul

David Morison
11th February 2011, 05:48 PM
There seems to be a popular misconception that I am intent on scuba diving and eating raw potato with my E5!

Anyhow I have ordered a small pump spray of a product intended for spectacle anti-misting so I will let you know how I get on, hope it doesn't dissolve any vital parts - better than spitting on the camera though I should imagine.

Regards

David

David Morison
16th February 2011, 02:33 PM
Well it has arrived, labelled "delu Lens Spray" and I have used it on my viewfinder with great success, although I have "rain tested" it yet. It also works on my LCD protective film which is a boon in cold weather as I breathe on it when I use the viewfinder. I am waiting for some wet weather shooting to do a confirmative test.

David