PDA

View Full Version : BLM-1 replacement batteries

paullus
10th February 2011, 06:20 PM
Has anyone an opinion on which is the best quality BLM-1 replacement battery, the Hahnel HL-M1 or Hama Proclass please.
Thank you.

Shaw
10th February 2011, 06:51 PM
I have a few of the Uniross equivalent and find them to be very good.

Bikie John
10th February 2011, 07:31 PM
I have a couple of Hahnel lookalikes and find them to be pretty much indistinguishable from the Oly originals. They are a few years old now though, so the market might have changed in the interim.

Ciao ... John

jima
10th February 2011, 08:18 PM
Has anyone an opinion on which is the best quality BLM-1 replacement battery, the Hahnel HL-M1 or Hama Proclass please.
Thank you.
Actually, it is the UNiROSS VB104295 :)

James

http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm

Roger.Tomblin@vodafone.ne
10th February 2011, 08:23 PM
I have a number of Uniross BLM1 equivalents. Never had any problems with them and guaranteed for 2 years

Usually get them from Battery Logic Currently 12.76 inc delivery. They usually turn round orders same day

http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/digital_camera_battery.asp

Regards

Roger

jchallen
11th February 2011, 02:54 PM
Actually, it is the UNiROSS VB104295 :)

James

http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm

I have a few of the uniross ones ( after the reading the linked tests) however I recently had one fail on me, it mow refuses to charge.

I can't remember how old it is as I did not sepearate the newer ones from the older ones but I has not had heavy usage either way.

I could just be a dud as the others aree excellent (as good as OEM) and certainly last longer than cheap, no name, ones that don't hold as much charge.

StephenL
11th February 2011, 03:04 PM
I too have a dud Uniross, for my Fuji 200EXR. It's a couple of years old and I can't remember where I bought it from. They've previously been fine.

David Morison
11th February 2011, 05:53 PM
Nothing surprises me more than the fact that I have an Oly original that packed up within 13mths. I have several un-named BLM-1 replacements that are going strong and have a higher capacity (1800 ah).

David

jima
11th February 2011, 10:55 PM
Nothing surprises me more than the fact that I have an Oly original that packed up within 13mths. I have several un-named BLM-1 replacements that are going strong and have a higher capacity (1800 ah).

David
Unless you are buying a reputable brand the capacity on the label is generally meaningless. Go either by experience (no rose coloured spectacles though) or a battery capacity measuring system :)

James

David Morison
11th February 2011, 11:22 PM
Unless you are buying a reputable brand the capacity on the label is generally meaningless. Go either by experience (no rose coloured spectacles though) or a battery capacity measuring system :)

James

Yes a good point, but Olympus is supposed to be a reputable brand and all my un-branded ones have outlasted it. An additional point is how do we know whether Olympus or other reputable brands don't get their batteries from the same supplier as the unbranded ones. We all know that much of what comes from reputable suppliers of many goods outsource their products from, in some cases, a single manufacturer.

David

jima
11th February 2011, 11:34 PM
Yes a good point, but Olympus is supposed to be a reputable brand and all my un-branded ones have outlasted it. An additional point is how do we know whether Olympus or other reputable brands don't get their batteries from the same supplier as the unbranded ones. We all know that much of what comes from reputable suppliers of many goods outsource their products from, in some cases, a single manufacturer.

David
Well no, we don't, not really. Many reputable makers source from one or two good cell suppliers, the rest get what they can where they can. This may give you a clue http://t5r.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/e1/clonetests.htm

Any reputable brand can suffer from the occasional dud but all of the Olympus batteries I have seen so far have used cells from a reputable manufacturer (usually Panasonic) and decent control circuitry.

J.

David Morison
12th February 2011, 05:26 AM
Yes, thanks for the info.

David