PDA

View Full Version : what lenses to put on

Roberta
8th February 2011, 08:48 PM
I'm doing a outside wedding in a few weeks time, for friends. I have a E620 and E600 and use if need of husbands E620.
I've been playing around with my new Fl50R for fill in flash as I may have to point at one point into light, and they will have a marque.
Now the question, what lenses to use I have a 50mm portrait and was thinking of kit 14-54 on the other and keeping the other kit lens in my pocket as I don't want to look like an American tourist.
Roberta who is now wondering why she said yes to this.

shenstone
8th February 2011, 09:16 PM
You only mention 1 lens you have.. but it's good because the 14-54 would be my instant choice as an all rounder I would only use a wider lens if there are real space constraints

if you have a longer lens as well I would take that so you can get close ups of people when they are not looking - usually the best shots of the event

Regards
Andy

wanderer
8th February 2011, 09:39 PM
I agree with the man.
Its hard concentrated work. If you need more advice, please ask. There are a fair number of us on here who have done or still do weddings.

Roberta
8th February 2011, 11:53 PM
I have the 40-150 and a 70-300 so the 40-150 might be the better instead of the 50mm, and have it on hand for the more wide open shots.
They are getting married on a verandah (open) overlooking the Gippsland lakes. So it will be a mixed bag, plus they are coming in on 3 horse drawn carts, that will be no problem as I'm used to that side of it we ahd a practice run with them last week at about the time they arrive.
They have said they just want casual shots.
Roberta

stevednp3
9th February 2011, 12:27 AM
I agree with Andy, just stick to the 14-54 its a great all rounder, use the wide end for group shots and the Tele end for portraits and without worrying about switching lenses you can concentrate on getting the shots you need.

Roberta
9th February 2011, 12:57 AM
what is/are the best lens/es for this sort of work.

StephenL
9th February 2011, 07:42 AM
I wouldn't touch weddings with a bargepole, so brave you, but I think a one-lens approach and zooming with your feet if necessary is the best approach - stick with the 14-54. No point in carrying the 50mm as well.

JackBenedict
9th February 2011, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't touch weddings with a bargepolel.

Stephen - Every photographer should be made to do at least one wedding ( as official photographer ) in their photographic lifetime - it's the stuff of life :)

StephenL
9th February 2011, 01:47 PM
I'd sooner do a funeral :eek:. In fact, I refuse to do any people photographs. Horrible things! Give me an animate object like a steam train any time. ;)

Stephen - Every photographer should be made to do at least one wedding ( as official photographer ) in their photographic lifetime - it's the stuff of life :)

Makonde
9th February 2011, 02:14 PM
As you have three bodies available, and the 50mm and the 40-150 are light and compact, and presumably you have your everloving spouse to do some carrying, I'd take them all alongl: the 50mm in case you need an interior shot at F2, the 40-150 for longer-range close-ups and more candid shots - it's a high quality lens in good light. But definitely the 14-54 on the main camera.

Roberta
9th February 2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks all that's what I'll do, my trusty servant read husband is coming along to get nagged even more.
This will be the one and only, but I never thought of covering funerals..............
The first bit will be OK as I am good with moving objects, particularly if the have four legs and neigh, and the bride is going to be wearing "go faster red".
Roberta

Zuiko
9th February 2011, 08:39 PM
As you have three bodies available, and the 50mm and the 40-150 are light and compact, and presumably you have your everloving spouse to do some carrying, I'd take them all alongl: the 50mm in case you need an interior shot at F2, the 40-150 for longer-range close-ups and more candid shots - it's a high quality lens in good light. But definitely the 14-54 on the main camera.

Definitely what Keith says. :)