PDA

View Full Version : Hatfield Forest Meet

Zuiko
7th February 2011, 09:48 PM
In my Snowdrops Meet thread several members have said they would be interested in a meet at Hatfield Forest for the buttercups in May, so here's advance notice:-

Hatfield Forest

Saturday 21st May

Meet in car park at main entrance at 10.00am, leave when you've had enough - there is no closing time.

Weather permitting I'll aim to get there at 6.00am for early morning light and other early risers are welcome to join me.

Other arrival times can be easily accomodated.

Car Park fee 4.80, National Trust members free.

There is a cafe in the forest which serves a wide range of hot and cold food.

More information here (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-hatfieldforest/)

As usual, register your interest below. :)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5247390_e_r_s_Website.jpg

dbutch
7th February 2011, 10:54 PM
Hmm wedding aniversary probably not a good idea:rolleyes:

Zuiko
7th February 2011, 11:54 PM

Depends how long you've been married! :D

The Saint
8th February 2011, 08:51 AM
It's in the diary John.

Simon

p.s I always get lost around the forest so I hope you know where your going!

Zuiko
8th February 2011, 09:12 AM
It's in the diary John.

Simon

p.s I always get lost around the forest so I hope you know where your going!

Ha ha! Don't worry, I know it very well! :D

Ian
8th February 2011, 10:18 AM

Hehe - mine's very close; 27th.

Ian

PeterBirder
8th February 2011, 08:28 PM
It's in my diary too John. Looking forward to meeting.*chr

Zuiko
9th February 2011, 12:04 AM
It's in my diary too John. Looking forward to meeting.*chr

Me too, Peter. :)

j.baker
2nd March 2011, 02:43 PM
Me and the wife are up for it.

Zuiko
2nd March 2011, 04:05 PM
Me and the wife are up for it.

It'll be great to meet you again, John, you'll be most welcome in my neck of the woods! *chr

PeterBirder
2nd March 2011, 09:29 PM
you'll be most welcome in my neck of the woods! *chr

Very apposite! :D:D:D

Ian
9th May 2011, 03:01 PM
Not long to go - is everything set for the buttercups? :)

Ian

The Saint
9th May 2011, 03:50 PM
I'm looking forward to the meet up. Hopefully there will be no mother-in-law visiting so I can stay longer this time.

Simon

Ian
9th May 2011, 06:52 PM
When I collected the children from school today I noticed that a field was already sporting a lot of yellow buttercups. There is a lot of talk about the accelerated spring - strawberries are said to be almost a month early this year.

Ian

andym
9th May 2011, 07:04 PM
When I collected the children from school today I noticed that a field was already sporting a lot of yellow buttercups. There is a lot of talk about the accelerated spring - strawberries are said to be almost a month early this year.

Ian

Comparing my out and about pictures from this year with last years everything is about 2 to 3 weeks early this year.

Hope to be a Hatfield forest.

The Saint
9th May 2011, 08:36 PM
Well I got back from Canada yesterday after nearly 3 weeks away and although no buttercups in the garden the grass was knee deep and the roses are in full flower!

Well back to sorting the 2500 photos we took.

Simon

Zuiko
9th May 2011, 09:14 PM
By coincidence I spent the evening at the Forest, checking the progress of the buttercups so I could give an update. They certainly are advanced this year but they do have a reasonably long flowering period so hopefully we'll be OK. I don't think they will be quite so spectacular as some years, probably due to the lack of rain, but they are still making an impressive display already.

This should be a really enjoyable meet at a fantastic location. If you'd like to come just add your name to this thread, if you have not already done so. :)

PeterBirder
10th May 2011, 06:51 PM
Sorry to say I won't be able to join you folks at Hatfield Forest after all as my Hernia Operation which I hoped would have been done by now is scheduled for the day before the meet.:(

I'm really disappointed as I have been looking forward to meeting some more members (I've only met Simon "The Saint" so far) and the chance to learn from photographers more accomplished than myself.

I hope you all have a great day ( I'm sure John will ensure that) and look forward to seeing some great shots from you all.

Regards

Zuiko
11th May 2011, 12:34 AM
Sorry to say I won't be able to join you folks at Hatfield Forest after all as my Hernia Operation which I hoped would have been done by now is scheduled for the day before the meet.:(

I'm really disappointed as I have been looking forward to meeting some more members (I've only met Simon "The Saint" so far) and the chance to learn from photographers more accomplished than myself.

I hope you all have a great day ( I'm sure John will ensure that) and look forward to seeing some great shots from you all.

Regards

Sorry that you can't make it, Peter, but you have our best wishes for a quick recovery and hopefully there will be an event where we can meet you later in the summer. :)

Zuiko
11th May 2011, 12:47 AM
As I said, the buttercups are well advanced this year. This was taken on Monday whilst I was doing a recce at the Forest.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HAT_FOREST_MAY_2011_060_e_masked_r_s.jpg

Hopefully they will still be plentiful for our visit and the flowering period will not be shortened by the lack of rain (we don't want really heavy rain either, knocking all the petals off).

Names attending so far:

Me
Ian
Simon (the Saint)
Andym
John Baker & Theresa
Barr1e and Ann1e

Any more will be most welcome. :)

andym
11th May 2011, 08:01 AM

Regards

Peter I hope all goes well.I had this done about 10 years ago.Not to bad the only problem was when I walked when it was first done I was fine in staright lines but it hurt to turn corners,didn't last long though.
I now have problems with straight lines when I've been to the pub.*yes;);)

andym
11th May 2011, 08:05 AM
John

I will be there but may not make it until about lunch time.I will be away the week before up till Friday 20th.
I'll catch up with somewhere.

I'll PM you the mobile number I have for you.Can you confirm back it's right.

See you on the 21st.

PeterBirder
11th May 2011, 04:15 PM
hopefully there will be an event where we can meet you later in the summer. :)

That would be great, third time lucky.*yes

Many thanks.*chr

PeterBirder
11th May 2011, 04:41 PM
Peter I hope all goes well.I had this done about 10 years ago.Not to bad the only problem was when I walked when it was first done I was fine in staright lines but it hurt to turn corners,didn't last long though.
I now have problems with straight lines when I've been to the pub.*yes;);)

Thanks Andy. I'm having mine done at the Day Hospital by "keyhole" surgery. I was quite happy about this (less actual cutting and sewing and quicker recovery time) until I read the information sheet the surgeon gave me.The first thing they do is fit what must be similar to a bicycle tyre valve into your navel and pump up your abdomen with carbon dioxide to give them room to work inside.:eek: Then the surgeon does his work watching a TV screen showing a view which I suspect has left and right reversed, like a teenager on an Xbox. I can't help feeling the medical profession have moved from telling you nothing to giving you more information than you really want.*yes

Regards*chr

Zuiko
11th May 2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks Andy. I'm having mine done at the Day Hospital by "keyhole" surgery. I was quite happy about this (less actual cutting and sewing and quicker recovery time) until I read the information sheet the surgeon gave me.The first thing they do is fit what must be similar to a bicycle tyre valve into your navel and pump up your abdomen with carbon dioxide to give them room to work inside.:eek: Then the surgeon does his work watching a TV screen showing a view which I suspect has left and right reversed, like a teenager on an Xbox. I can't help feeling the medical profession have moved from telling you nothing to giving you more information than you really want.*yes

Regards*chr

To know or not to know, that is the question!

A few years ago I needed an angiogram and I foolishly went to a presentation where the information was graphic to say the least. Being rather squeemish I freaked out halfway through and cancelled my appointment the next day. I was convinced I was going to die anyway. Eventually my doctor persuaded me to re-book, but only after giving me an assurance that I could be sedated for the procedure.

The night before I got very little sleep and the tiredness along with the sedative caused me to zonk out cold just as they were about to start. I awoke several hours later in the recovery room with absolutely no recollection of the op, which is normally done with you fully conscious under local anesthetic!

As it turned out my arteries were clear and eventually the acute angina symptoms I had been experiencing were traced to a severe reaction to my Parkinson's medication, tablets that I had been taking for several years with no previous side effects! :eek:

So I can sympathize with your predicament, Peter, sometimes it's better not to know too much. The gas valve in your navel doesn't sound much fun, but it's probably not as bad as it sounds. All the same, I think I'd rather just eat two tins of curried beans a couple of hours before the op and wash it down with a few pints of fizzy lager. That should have pretty much the same effect as the CO2!

At least there's not long to wait now and finally you're getting it done. I'm sure it will make a big difference and really improve your quality of life once you have recovered. :)

PeterBirder
11th May 2011, 08:41 PM
All the same, I think I'd rather just eat two tins of curried beans a couple of hours before the op and wash it down with a few pints of fizzy lager. :)

:D:D:D
Ah, but can you get two tins of curried beans and a few pints of fizzy lager on the NHS?

The Saint
12th May 2011, 07:18 AM
The buttercups of Hatfield Forest were on the local news this morning. They didn't say much other than they are earlier than normal and if the dry weather keeps up could kill them off soon.

Simon

Zuiko
12th May 2011, 07:37 AM
:D:D:D
Ah, but can you get two tins of curried beans and a few pints of fizzy lager on the NHS?

The way things are going that might soon be the only things you can get on the NHS.

Fast forward a few years...... Doctor: "Sorry Mr Smith, you need a by-pass operation and we only do that privately now, but if you want to be treated by the NHS we can prescribe you two tins of curried beans and a bottle of fizzy lager. Oh, and I should mention that prescription charges have recently increased, it's now 15 per item, so you may prefer to buy this medication from the supermarket, I mean chemist - oh heck, they're one and the same nowadays anyway."

Zuiko
12th May 2011, 07:39 AM
The buttercups of Hatfield Forest were on the local news this morning. They didn't say much other than they are earlier than normal and if the dry weather keeps up could kill them off soon.

Simon

Great, that's just what we need. :(

Fingers crossed! *yes*yes*yes

Seonnaidh
13th May 2011, 08:37 AM
Well, you all make me feel quite envious. I used to live not too far from Hatfield forest and only ever visited once.
What's it like in November? The reason I ask is that we are coming down in November to photograph a wedding in Luton. We will then be staying for a few days in Buntingford/ Ware/ Maidstone visiting the family.
If I get chance I might take a drive over.

Zuiko
13th May 2011, 09:20 AM
Well, you all make me feel quite envious. I used to live not too far from Hatfield forest and only ever visited once.
What's it like in November? The reason I ask is that we are coming down in November to photograph a wedding in Luton. We will then be staying for a few days in Buntingford/ Ware/ Maidstone visiting the family.
If I get chance I might take a drive over.

Well, given the weather, it can look like this http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11820

Or this http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11819 All taken on 16th November last year.

Or these two, both taken 25th November 2009.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HATFIELD_FOREST_018_e_Website.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HATFIELD_FOREST_tonemapped_e-Website.jpg

Give us a shoot if you'd like to meet up - or if you'd like to meet a few members from this area I'll happily arrange a meet, I'd just need to know the date.

If you are staying in Maidstone it's also worth a visit to Leeds Castle if you can fit it in. :)

mlc
13th May 2011, 10:42 PM
John,

I know its very late, but I could well be joining you tomorrow if that's OK.

Mark

Zuiko
13th May 2011, 10:46 PM
John,

I know its very late, but I could well be joining you tomorrow if that's OK.

Mark

Er Mark, it's next week, the 21st. :)

We'll be very pleased to see you then! :)

mlc
13th May 2011, 10:58 PM
Well, it is late, like I said...

thanks John, hopefully see you next week.

The Saint
19th May 2011, 07:47 AM
John

I assume we are still on for this weekend?

The weather forecast is meant to be good so I might join you for the early start. I assume the NT car park will not be open at 6am, do you just park up on the road instead? Previously I've parked near the church and walked through a field of bulls to get into the forest (which a some people do to avoid the car park fee).

I'm still in negoiations with my better half on agreeing my pass for the day, but it looks like she might be going to her sisters. That will mean I'll have most of the morning free.

If things go to plan I was going to take a few early morning pictures with you then have a few mile walk and catch up with everyone later in the morning.

I've got book a walks and there is one around the forest and along the old railway line which I've never got around to and this would potentially be a good opportunity to tick it off.

Simon

Zuiko
19th May 2011, 08:45 AM
Hi Simon,

Yes, we're still on for this Saturday. I'm planning to post an update later when I've been able to visit the Forest to check on the buttercups but my car is in the garage this morning following yesterday's minor disaster (see http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14703 ).

The main car park won't be locked, there's no barrier, so just park as normal. They rely on people using an honesty box outside the hours of the attendant but I'm a Trust member anyway. I'll be there to meet you and will be glad of your company - and anyone else who fancies an early start. I suspect most people will arrive for the later meeting time, though. :)

The Saint
19th May 2011, 09:05 AM
John

Sorry to hear about your troubles yesterday.

Ian

I believe you were planning on attending this event, would there be any opportunity of being cheeky and maybe getting a chance to use some of the lovely top pro-glass you look after (if it's not out on hire of course)?

All

I'll pack the majority of my glass but if there are any specific lenses anyone wants to try leave a reply and if I've got it I'll make sure bring it. I've got most of the standard and pro lenses, EX-25, sigma bigma and 150 macro.

Simon

Ian
19th May 2011, 09:13 AM
John

Sorry to hear about your troubles yesterday.

Ian

I believe you were planning on attending this event, would there be any opportunity of being cheeky and maybe getting a chance to use some of the lovely top pro-glass you look after (if it's not out on hire of course)?

All

I'll pack the majority of my glass but if there are any specific lenses anyone wants to try leave a reply and if I've got it I'll make sure bring it. I've got most of the standard and pro lenses, EX-25, sigma bigma and 150 macro.

Simon

Of course :) I will bring a selection along - did you have anything in mind?

Ian

The Saint
19th May 2011, 09:18 AM
Ian

I would really like to try the EC-20 to see how it performs.

I would also be tempted to ask you to bring either the 300mm f2.8 or the 90-250mm f2.8 although the thought of carrying it around the forest is slightly off putting, but I'm sure would get some stunning result of the cows/other wildlife.

Simon

Ian
19th May 2011, 09:28 AM
Ian

I would really like to try the EC-20 to see how it performs.

I would also be tempted to ask you to bring either the 300mm f2.8 or the 90-250mm f2.8 although the thought of carrying it around the forest is slightly off putting, but I'm sure would get some stunning result of the cows/other wildlife.

Simon

No problem, I can bring one of each as long as they aren't all out on rentals, which I believe is not the case as of this time. I'll also bring a 35-100, and 7-14. We only have one 150mm f/2 and that is out at the moment, so I can't bring that.

Ian

andym
19th May 2011, 03:50 PM
John

I'm still ''Sur le Continent'' sampling Mei boks(beer).I'm travelling home tomorrow and should be home at tea time if all goes well with the trains. I'll be there at 10 for the meet on Saturday.
If anything goes wrong I'll text you.

Weather looks good for Saturday.*yes*yes*yes

Zuiko
19th May 2011, 05:53 PM
Having now got my car back on the road, I visited the Forest today to check on the buttercups. They are still plentiful, though perhaps not on the same scale as they normally are. Looking very good, though. :)

Just to confirm, I'm planning to arrive early and will meet any like minded masochists in the car park at 6.00am. Simon (the Saint) has already stated his intentions to join me, anyone else let me know.

I'm assuming most people, particularly those who have to travel, will chose to meet in the car park at a more civilized 10.00am. See you there.

Plenty of room for any who decide to come at last minute, just let me know so I can look out for you. :)

Andrew Riddell
19th May 2011, 09:28 PM
I'd hoped to come, but (because of my daughter's music commitments) at the time John will be looking for early shots, I'll be somewhere down the M3/A303! Have a good time!

Andrew

Zuiko
20th May 2011, 12:02 AM
It was a quick half hour visit to the Forest today, really just to check how the buttercups are doing. However, I did take my Pen with 24-45mm lens, quite a minimalist kit. I even took a couple of shots.

Held close to ground level at 14mm to emphasise the foreground buttercups. Note that even in quite a dark exposure highlights on the yellow flowers have burnt out. This is notoriously hard to avoid, particularly in bright sunlight. Yellow is a difficult colour anyway and with buttercups it is exacerbated by the shiny petals, so take care on Saturday.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/FOREST_CHECK_MAY_2011_030_e_r_s.jpg

Buttercups are the dominant feature of the Forest at this time of year, simply because there are so many of them in such a large area. However, that's not all the Forest has to offer by any means. I was rather taken with this little arrangement of dog roses.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/FOREST_CHECK_MAY_2011_053_e_r_s.jpg

See you on Saturday

mlc
20th May 2011, 09:43 PM
Ian,

Will you have an E-5 to try?

thanks,

Mark

j.baker
20th May 2011, 10:03 PM
Hi all

Teresa and i cannot make tomorrow. Sorry to let you down.

Ian
20th May 2011, 10:17 PM
Hi all

Sorry to hear that, John - hope all's well otherwise.

Ian

Ian
20th May 2011, 10:22 PM
Ian,

Will you have an E-5 to try?

thanks,

Mark

Yes, am bringing an E-5, as well as:

Infra Red converted E-PL1
E-PL2
Julia is using her E-620
m.Zuiko 75-300
m.Zuiko 14-150
m.Zuiko 9-18
m.Zuiko 14-42 II
ZD 300 2.8
ZD 90-250 2.8
ZD 35-100 f/2
ZD 7-14
ZD 14-35 f/2
50 f/2 Macro
EC-20 converter
EC-14 converter
ZD 9-18
ZD 8mm fisheye

..as far as I can remember! :)

Ian

Zuiko
20th May 2011, 11:23 PM
Hi all

Hi John,

Sorry to hear you cannot make it, I hope all is well.

It would have been quite a long journey for you.

The Saint
21st May 2011, 05:07 AM
I'm in the car park waiting for John and it is a lovely morning!

Wish I had bought a pubic!

Simon

andym
21st May 2011, 04:02 PM
Thank you John for a grand day out and also for organising the good weather.

Just a few from today

Cute
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5213253.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34205)

Dead tree
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5213259.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34207)

That Weasel,not the best but was pleased to see it.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5213257.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34206)

Cameras for lunch
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5213265.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34208)

Clockwise from left to right Julia,Ann1e,Mark,Barr1e and Simon.

Hope everyone got home ok.

I'll post something up later or tomorrow about the meet we discussed.

Barr1e
21st May 2011, 05:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKBGR3k1-ws

Regards. Barr1e

mlc
21st May 2011, 05:41 PM
Just watched that Barr1e - captured the day very well!

(v. appropriate Rolf Harris tune as well!).

We'll have to start talking camcorders.

Janet
21st May 2011, 06:14 PM
Brilliant video. Glad to see you all had a good time.

Janet

Ann1e
21st May 2011, 11:46 PM
We had a wonderful day at Hatfield Forest and our thanks go to John for the organisation and for having a word with the met office!

1. http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5214070_-_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34253)

John and Simon en route to meet Barrie and I on our arrival -

2. http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5214068_-_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34252)

We came to see the buttercups and see them we did -

3. http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5214045_-_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34249)

and the dandelions -

4. http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5214064_-2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34251)

and the dog roses, with photographic licence! -

5. http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5214091_-_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34255)

All taken with the E-30, 70-300mm, with the exception of the dandelion, taken with the 50mm.

Regards,
Ann1e

Zuiko
22nd May 2011, 01:55 AM
Great pictures Andy and Annie and I love that video, Barrie.

Thanks to Andy, Anne, Barrie, Ian, Julia, Mark and Simon for being such good company and helping to make the day so enjoyable. :)

Zuiko
22nd May 2011, 02:33 AM
Here's my contribution:-

First shot of the day was a calf enjoying the morning sunshine.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HAT_FOREST_MEET_008_e_c_r_s.jpg

This cow was remarkably tolerant as I inched towards her on my belly with 9-18mm attached to my camera.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HAT_FOREST_MEET_020_e_c_r_s.jpg

We were too early for breakfast.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HAT_FOREST_MEET_042_e_c_r_s.jpg

Slippery when wet.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HAT_FOREST_MEET_048_e_r_s.jpg

Yellow Iris.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HAT_FOREST_MEET_067_e_r_s.jpg

Photographers at work.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HAT_FOREST_MEET_062_e_r_s.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HAT_FOREST_MEET_076_e_c_r_s.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HAT_FOREST_MEET_078_e_r_s.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HAT_FOREST_MEET_077_e_c_r_s.jpg

Fun with a fish.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HAT_FOREST_MEET_085_e_r_s.jpg

Get down and get with it.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HAT_FOREST_MEET_101_e_c_r_s.jpg

PeterBirder
22nd May 2011, 08:44 AM
Glad to see you all had such a good day and got some great shots.*yes Really sorry I wasn't able to join you this time.

Regards*chr

Ian
22nd May 2011, 08:46 AM
Haha! - I had no idea you were videoing us, Barr1e :)

I will post pix later today - nice ones up already I see!

Ian

Zuiko
22nd May 2011, 12:20 PM
Having just sorted through dozens of goose/duck shots and deleting nearly all of them :o I have just one more to show.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/HAT_FOREST_MEET_156_e_c_r_s.jpg

mlc
22nd May 2011, 09:44 PM
I was fine after the shoot, but only after slapping on two coats of heavy duty after-sun lotion - I might have been carrying a lot of camera gear, but nothing sensible like sun-tan lotion - it was a glorious day.

A selection of my shots -

Fallow Deer on the forest fringes -
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Fallow_Deer.jpg

A Grebe swimming thru the mist on the lake -

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Grebe_in_Morning_Mist.jpg

A couple of the Greylag geese on the lake side with Goslings -

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Greylag_Geese.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Greylag_Goose.jpg

Some plant images - Cow Parsley -

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Cow_Parsley.jpg

Teasels -

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Teasels1.jpg

and a Dog Rose -

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Dog_Rose.jpg

I have a sequence involving a Grebe family and Crayfish, but I'll put that in a separate post.

Lovely day out - thanks for organising it John.

Ian
22nd May 2011, 10:15 PM
Great shots Mark!

Here are a few from me:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/511/log_HDR2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34296)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/511/forest_HDR2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34295)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/511/P5210799.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34293)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/511/P5210810.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34294)

Ian

Ian
23rd May 2011, 09:30 AM
I forgot to upload this one of Andy last night :)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/511/P5210647.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34299)

Ian

Ian
23rd May 2011, 09:46 AM
This is a rather severe crop as I had the wrong lens on! The rather odd stripey looking youngster is a baby Grebe - you can see one of its parents on the lower right. The baby was very loud - calling all the time and the parent practically ignored it all the time, diving and disappearing for what seemed an eternity, reappearing somewhere completely different, sometimes 20-30 feet away. It must be very confusing being a baby grebe!

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/511/P5210818.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34300)

Ian

Ann1e
23rd May 2011, 07:56 PM
To add a few more to our photo gallery of the day -

At the entrance to the Forest, one is greeted by a carpet of buttercups - here seen leading to a tree that has seen better days!

1. http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5214047_-_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34250)

There were plenty of oohs and aahs -

A pair of greylag geese enjoying a sunny Saturday with the family -

2. http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5214144_-_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34256)

A close up on the junior members of another family -

3. http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5214148_-_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34257)

A grebe - I assume it was the mother who had charge of her offspring but kept the poor youngster guessing by disappearing under water and appearing several feet away, here doing a party piece! -

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5214159_-_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34258)

And finally, we did manage to spot one butterfly. I had in mind to try some of the art modes on the camera but completely forgot to do so - which explains this -

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5214082_-_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=34254)

All taken with the E-30, 70-300mm, with the exception of the first taken with the 12-60mm.

Regards,
Ann1e

PeterBirder
23rd May 2011, 08:10 PM
Beautiful shots there Ann1e. Nos 1 and 4 stand out for me. The grebe shot is brilliant great capture and perfect exposure.

Thanks for sharing.*chr

shirley
23rd May 2011, 08:44 PM
I am enjoying looking at these images.

Ann1e the Grebe pic from your selection particularly stands out for me. The shape and sense of movement, is particularly good.

mlc
16th June 2011, 12:36 PM
So eventually I get round to posting my Grebe images - I wouldn't be very good at the "52" challenge!

Ian spotted the Grebe chick not getting much response from it's parent, and this sequence may explain why. Not as action packed as Annie's "walking on water" shot, but interesting behaviour I think none the less.

I was standing on the boardwalk by the bottom end of the lake, near the tearoom, when I hear a splash at my feet, and see a Grebe making off as fast as it can with a Lobster in it's beak...
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Grebe_and_Prey.jpg
But hang on, Lobsters don't live in lakes do they? Must be a Crayfish, but that's a big Crayfish - maybe one of the escapees from a fish farm? (I have a link to a report on this on my blog - maybe an American Red-Claw).

So then it decides to feed this prized capture to it's young ...
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Grebe_Feeding_Chick2.jpg

First of all the chick is interested, but it can't get hold of the food...
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Grebe_and_Chick.jpg

This is a sequence that gets repeated many times. Eventually Dad turns up to offer his advice, whilst Junior is starting to get fed up with this funny food...
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Grebe_Family_with_Food.jpg
Mum gets fed up with the chick not being grateful for this high cuisine she has prepared, and Junior complains to Dad about not getting his normal Chicken nuggets...
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Grebe_family.jpg

But Mum's not going to waste this food...
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Grebe_Swallowing_Food.jpg

and in a blink, it's gone. They must have strong stomach acids.

I took a sequence of 25 images over c. 4 minutes, but both jp and raw, so multiply by 2, and also I found I had left ISO bracketing on from a previous shoot, so multiply by 3 again - 150 images. Later I had a brain burp when I couldn't believe I had filled an 8GB card in half a morning!

Ian
16th June 2011, 12:46 PM
Great pictures Mark! And well-spotted. Is that larger than an American signal crayfish?

Did the youngster manage to eat any of the crayfish? I'm astonished it was eaten at all!. Having caught some of these in the canal near us, they are feisty beasts which look like they can really nip if you aren't careful...

Ian

mlc
16th June 2011, 01:49 PM
Well, now you've asked the question I have re-checked. The Red claw is Australian, not American, and is tropical. I guess for this reason it is the only allowed imported Crayfish. And people collect them, and keep them in tanks. So it could have been released and survived, been released and died (and is why it is now being consumed), or be another species.

Why I thought it might be one is thanks to this image, which seems to suggest red claws - http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Grebe_family_with_Crayfish.jpg

I think the Red claw is supposed to be v. large as well.

The article is here (http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/403/nonnative-crayfish-in-the-uk), and it does list other invaders, which could be potential culprits.

Forgot about the youngster - if it ate any of the Crayfish it may have been only the claws, as it was really only nibbling the creature around the edges, if that.

I thought the Crayfish looked quite dead - no nipping going on. At the time I thought the parent Grebe could only have killed it by spearing it with it's beak, and/or shaking it/banging it against the bank, but as I say above, perhaps it was already dead.