PDA

View Full Version : 38th Challenge - "It's seen better days..."

DavidJ1609
1st February 2011, 12:29 PM
This month’s challenge is called "It's seen better days...". The theme is totally open to anything where one can see that the object/subject of the photo shows something that has seen better days, from toys, book, to cars, technology, buildings - anything!

We're apparently a nation of hoarders, and one cannot walk too far without seeing something delapidated in our surroundings!

Like my last challenge, I'm hoping to have more entries, and hope voting will be simply a reaction first to the title, then to the technical merits.

Hope you enjoy the challenge and look forward to receiving your entries.

David.

The How To Enter Bit
-Max of 800 pixels wide or high
-Up to 512Kbytes
-EXIF intact please
-Taken by you on an E-series camera between Tuesday 1st February 2011 and Tuesday 21st February 2011 inclusive.
-Please include your name, your forum moniker and a title for the picture.

Full rules:
1. Photos should be taken (dated in EXIF) between Tuesday 1st February 2011 and Tuesday 22nd February 2011 inclusive and sent in during that period. (It's a short month!) Photos will be posted in the gallery as soon as possible. We will vote in the week after this, voting will be completed by midnight Sunday 27th February 2011. I will announce the results on Monday 28th February 2011.
2. You must be the photographer who created the picture in order to enter the challenge, and all entries must be visibly anonymous and should be sent to the challenge organiser. You must indicate (a) your real name, (b) your e-group forum name and (c) a title for your photo, in the email. Any entries that are not clearly identifiable and verifiable won't be entered into the challenge.

3. Entries to the challenge :-Should contain no watermarks, distinguishing effects and no borders
Must be jpg format and no more than 800 pixels on the longest edge
Must have been taken on an Olympus E-Series camera
Must have all EXIF data included for the organiser to verify.
Max file size to suit the gallery here is 512kb.

4. You need to be registered on e-group.uk.net forums to qualify for entry into the challenge. The organiser may also enter the challenge (the entries are anonymous and the organiser is trusted to record votes accurately).

5. Only one entry permitted per challenge please. But if you want to withdraw an entry or replace it with another that's OK, you must make it clear in an email to the challenge organiser before the closing date, also ensure the email contains clear instructions and (if required) your replacement picture.

6. Voting on the challenge:-
Any registered member of the e-group forum may vote, including those who submit entries.
Those who submit entries may vote for their own photo but are expected to allot their choices fairly on perceived merit.
Voters should list their three choices in order of preference, by display number and title to avoid confusion.
Points will be allotted as follows: three to first choice, two to second choice, one to third choice.
Please email me with the image attached at nsowon@gmail.com and please include the words Olympus Challenge in the title line.

Good luck!

David.

danellis
1st February 2011, 09:11 PM
Given the title of the Challenge I may consider submitting a self portrait shot :)

I'd had the same thought!

Does one have to do anything in particular to include EXIF data in a jpeg?

dJE

DavidJ1609
2nd February 2011, 04:16 AM
Given the title of the Challenge I may consider submitting a self portrait shot :)

Funny that, the idea came to me when I was looking in the mirrror! :)

I'd had the same thought!

Does one have to do anything in particular to include EXIF data in a jpeg?

dJE

I believe it's just there, and only gets removed with certain software when you save the file. Example: Photoshop "Save for Web" removes the EXIF.

David.

Alan Clogwyn
2nd February 2011, 03:35 PM
If only I still had an E series, right up my street this! :(

Ianf
4th February 2011, 09:43 PM
Hi, being a relative newbie, who do I email my pic and details to please ?
:confused:

Nick Temple-Fry
4th February 2011, 09:49 PM
Hi, being a relative newbie, who do I email my pic and details to please ?
:confused:

The How To Enter Bit
-Max of 800 pixels wide or high
-Up to 512Kbytes
-EXIF intact please
-Taken by you on an E-series camera between Tuesday 1st February 2011 and Tuesday 21st February 2011 inclusive.
-Please include your name, your forum moniker and a title for the picture.

Please email me with the image attached at nsowon@gmail.com and please include the words Olympus Challenge in the title line.

all in the details in the first post

Nick

Ianf
4th February 2011, 10:32 PM
Apologies, I misread number 6 as the sequence for voting, I fancy a crack at this as my first DSLR challenge, :)

Susan
9th February 2011, 11:02 PM
Haha great minds thinking alike, I was thinking I could take a photo of Garrie without him realising and submitting it lol (only kidding dear )

DavidJ1609
10th February 2011, 12:32 AM
Apologies, I misread number 6 as the sequence for voting, I fancy a crack at this as my first DSLR challenge, :)

Sorry about that! I should have seperated it as a sentence.
(For some reason I can't edit the post.)

Thanks Nick for stepping in. :)

David.

DavidJ1609
11th February 2011, 02:57 PM
Come on guys and girls - 10 days to go and only 2 entries.

I think the topic is wide enough, and the two entries so far seem to agree as the couldn't be more different!

If you don't send a picture, I'll submit a self-portrait - you have been warned!:p

David.

LightingMan
14th February 2011, 12:49 PM
I've got one. Just need a couple of hours to think of a title...:(

Susan
14th February 2011, 09:09 PM
My entry's been emailed :)

DavidJ1609
16th February 2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks to the four who have entered so far. The pictures are very different, which is nice!

An error in the instructions - Tuesday is in fact the 22nd of Februrary, not 21st!:o

From the full rules (Which was correct):
"Photos should be taken (dated in EXIF) between Tuesday 1st February 2011 and Tuesday 22nd February 2011 inclusive and sent in during that period"

So, six days to go and find a subject that has "seen better days" !

David.

Bikie John
16th February 2011, 09:35 AM
I've got an idea, just got to find the time and energy to execute it now. Still getting over the after-effects of the props for last month's photo :)

Ciao ... Lazy John

LightingMan
16th February 2011, 12:18 PM
Entry sent - good fun!

ChrisW
19th February 2011, 06:00 PM
Entry sent *yes

Ianf
19th February 2011, 10:17 PM
Entry in, very basic first attempt but it just jumped up at me !,
*yes

DavidJ1609
19th February 2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the entries everyone. Nine so far, which is reasonable.

We could do better! *

David.
* Says the man who hasn't come up with anything yet.:o

Roger.Tomblin@vodafone.ne
20th February 2011, 07:08 PM
Entry Sent - Good Challenge

Regards

Roger

DavidJ1609
27th February 2011, 12:17 PM
Just a bump and reminder to vote - it's a short month and tonight is the deadline!

14 Entries and only 8 votes:confused:

We need more votes!

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13243

David.

DavidJ1609
28th February 2011, 09:14 AM
Results: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=104391#post104391

*chr