PDA

View Full Version : HELP : E30 & Manual under / Over exposure

JackBenedict
30th January 2011, 05:09 PM
I am having a very bad hair day and when I know the answer I will probably go DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

I want to set my E30 on manual mode - so far so good. But I want to be able to introduce either under or over exposure as necessary - but for the like of it I just cannot appear to do it.

Can someone using an E30 give me an IDIOTS guide as to how to do this.

Many thanks in advance

photo_owl
30th January 2011, 05:19 PM
set camera on manual

adjust aperture and shutter speed to give you the under or over exposure you want - as indicated on the exposure meter in the view finder...........

Ellie
30th January 2011, 09:43 PM
Can someone using an E30 give me an IDIOTS guide as to how to do this.
I'm technically illiterate :o will that do?

The way I do it is :-

Set the dial to M.

Set aperture.

Slightly depress the shutter so the camera knows what's going on, and note the dotted line on the display (either in the viewfinder, in the little window on the top of the camera or on the back of the camera)

Scroll the wheel nearest your thumb (on the back of the camera) to the right to increase shutter speed or to the left to decrease it. You should see the line move and be able to see the shutter speed change.

So, if the dotted line is to the right of the centre you need to scroll to the right to bring it back to the centre mark ... keep on scrolling to the right to underexpose slightly.

(On the other hand if you want to set the shutter speed and vary the aperture, you can scroll the other wheel, on the front of the camera, to stop up/down.)

Once the dotted line is where you want it, it's time to take a picture.

Ross the fiddler
31st January 2011, 04:04 AM
I'm technically illiterate :o will that do?

The way I do it is :-

Set the dial to M.

Set aperture.

Slightly depress the shutter so the camera knows what's going on, and note the dotted line on the display (either in the viewfinder, in the little window on the top of the camera or on the back of the camera)

Scroll the wheel nearest your thumb (on the back of the camera) to the right to increase shutter speed or to the left to decrease it. You should see the line move and be able to see the shutter speed change.

So, if the dotted line is to the right of the centre you need to scroll to the right to bring it back to the centre mark ... keep on scrolling to the right to underexpose slightly.

(On the other hand if you want to set the shutter speed and vary the aperture, you can scroll the other wheel, on the front of the camera, to stop up/down.)

Once the dotted line is where you want it, it's time to take a picture.

That's put very nicely Ellie. Just a little reminder, the front & rear wheels are interchangable for their function for aperture & shutter speed when using Manual (or exposure shift in A or S priority), so in other words, use the appropriate wheel according to how yours is set up (or change them around to suit yourself).

catkins
31st January 2011, 09:18 AM
And it gets to be even more fun when you start using the Manual setting while using Flash - the photographs take a bit more time for the slow thinking / processing speed of my brain, but once understood I found it a far better and more interesting way of controlling the 'quality' of the finished image.

Regards
Chris

JackBenedict
31st January 2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks all
It is "Seemple" when you know how.