PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Calibration Equipment

Garrie
28th January 2011, 07:07 PM
Hi,

I'm just wondering if you've thought about maybe getting a few Monitor calibration gadgets that could be put on the hires list?

I've just bought a new monitor and its massively different from my old one so would like to calibrate it. Rather than buy one I thought I might be a good thing to offer for hire?

Sorry if it sounds like a bad idea, think I'm just thinking aloud :o

DerekW
28th January 2011, 10:57 PM
All the instructions for monitor calibration suggest that one should calibrate the monitor on a monthly basis. On that basis I think the cost of puchasing a calibration device outright would soon be overtaken in hire and postage fees if the devices were available to rent..

Nick Temple-Fry
29th January 2011, 12:24 AM
The monitor calibration equipment has a software component that needs to be installed and licensed as well as the calibration device.

I suspect they'd sting Ian for a very expensive license fee, if they'd allow it at all.

Nick

Garrie
29th January 2011, 10:56 AM
Ah very bad idea then lol

In my ignorance I hadnt thought of how the device works and that software would need to be installed and also that a monitor would need calibrating monthly (do a monitor degrade over time?)

Thanks for putting me right :)

Cheers
Garrie

jdal
19th February 2011, 11:06 PM
Just for the record, the monthly recalibrate was for CRT monitors, dunno about LCD.

Also, as of a couple of years ago, a basic Spyder has free software - the upgrade to more functionality is a software thing, the hardware is the same. The basic software is just fine - the upgrade is for pro setups really.