PDA

View Full Version : Photobooks

knikki
17th March 2008, 02:47 PM
Has anyone used and got photo books from either Blurb.com (American outfit) or someone like Myphotobook.co.uk?

Just wondering if they were good or if anyone else could recommend somehere else?

Reason, I am doing a photo course at the local college and I want to present my final portfolio in a book. Actually wanted to do one for ages.

And if any one is wondering what it is, Fine Art Landscape, images from Graveyards.

Steve Lane
17th March 2008, 03:50 PM
Hello Knikki

I have not used either of these suppliers, but recently created a photobook via Asda's website, as a present for my Wife. Having never done this before, I was very unsure how it would turn out. When it arrived I was really impressed with the quality of it. My Wife was really taken with it. The link is http://www.asda-photo.co.uk/wpp/asda/buygifts_books.jsp. The big one, like the one I created, is not cheap, but it does allow for extra pages to be added. You can also chose the template when laying out the pictures, add text, change the color of paper and album etc. All in all, very nice!

I would advise that you take your time laying out the album. I had about three attempts at it over a period of a couple of weeks. In the end, I produced a layout that I was satisfied with.

DTD
17th March 2008, 11:00 PM
A friend had a Blurb one done and it was pretty good.

I've produced several using Apple's Aperture and iPhoto built in book ordering, thought they were really good.

Not tried their books, but everything else photobox.co.uk do is good quality.

Kodak Gallery also do them.

By the way, I recently had an exhibition of some of my work taken in cemeteries. ome info at: www.mourn.me.uk

Send us a PM if you're interested, I'm in Manchester.

Nivek
18th March 2008, 05:13 PM
Hello knikki.

I have been doing a lot of homework on photobooks and when I went to Focus a couple of weeks ago I found a company called Innovaart. They have a nice photobook called OPUS. They have brass screws that you remove to place the pages into your printer and the paper is lovely.
that also have a range of really nice papers and the profiles are free.

www.innovaart.com I hope you like them.

Ghene
21st March 2008, 07:29 PM
I use blurb and it's good and cheap. EU orders are printed in switzerland.

froeng
27th April 2008, 06:11 PM
Hi,

is there any company that can create photobooks from pdf files? I have created a 120 page layout and want to have it print and bound.
I don't want to do it again as I am quite exhausted from it ;).

BTW, I tried using blurb, but their software wouldn't want to run on my machine...(Win XP)

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

Frank

j.baker
27th April 2008, 06:12 PM
You can try www.cafepress.com

They can turn a non locked PDF into a bound book.

Rod Souter
27th April 2008, 06:14 PM
Digital Photo have a test of Photobooks in the current issue, I have not read it yet!

Rod

emirpprime
27th April 2008, 07:24 PM
I can recommend myphotobooks.co.uk Good quality output and a discount on the first order which is always good. I'd advise getting either the soft or hard cover options. The software is a bit clunky though.

yophoto.com are supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't tried them myself.

If you can find out what printers they use you can get a good idea about the quality. Many use the Kodak NexPress which I have seen called the current top of the line dedicated photobook printer. One thing to watch out for is many print barcodes/logos on your book which isn't always desirable. For premium work it is also worth contacting a proper printer who will be able to cost printing and binding a one off book. It will be more expensive, but the quality will likely be higher and the options for paper type, finish and binding will be much wider.

Phil